New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 28 2013, 10:38 PM   #1
JimZipCode
Lieutenant Commander

Most important books?

Which are the most important behind-the-scenes books to read?

I know of:
Inside Star Trek by Solow & Justman
Making of Star Trek by Whitfield

Also books by Shatner, Nimoy, Doohan, Grace Lee Whitney, David Gerrold, etc. What should my behind-the-scenes of TOS reading list be, and which items should be first?

Thanks
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 11:32 PM   #2
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile
Re: Most important books?

Those two, plus Gerrold's World of Star Trek, and you're all set.
Old January 28 2013, 11:35 PM   #3
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I'd recommend Gerrold's books as well.

In addition, I really enjoyed Paula Block and Terry Erdmann's recent 365 books, although they weigh a brick!
Old January 29 2013, 12:02 AM   #4
jayrath
Fleet Captain

You've got the best two already. Gerrold's books come off as part fan-boy, part master's thesis. Good stuff, though, and the only thing other than TMOST that's even remotely contemporary. I think you'll find that the later you get with the other books, the fudgier the accounts.
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 01:14 AM   #5
gottacook
Commander

I Am Spock and Nicholas Meyer's fairly recent The View from the Bridge have definite merit, although I admit that I got the latter cheap at a Borders closing sale.

Question: My copy of The World of Star Trek was bought the year it came out; what changes were made for the revised version, which I've seen but never read?
gottacook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 01:32 AM   #6
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

^^^I think he updated it w'film info through TSFS.

And I agree w/most here. "Making of", "World of" "Making of Tribbles", and "Inside ST."

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 01:44 AM   #7
trevanian
Rear Admiral

The later version of WORLD actually cut a lot of good stuff, and the new material was a lousy trade. I went back to the 70s pb shortly thereafter.

I'd add Gerrold's TROUBLE WITH TRIBBLES making-of book; it was the first nf trek I read, even before WORLD and MAKING, and it has good info.

And just to call into question some of the INSIDE STAR TREK stuff (not all of it, but so folks don't just buy it as whole truth), I'd suggest finding Ellison's book on THE CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER, which clearly not only makes Justman and Solo's recollections suspect, but also their overall credibility, since they never made corrections even after being reminded about their errors.

Also, if you apply the idea that at least some of what happened to Ellison's script -- like the secret that DC Fontana rewrote it, something she denied IN PRINT in CINEFANTASTIQUE about 20 years ago -- also happened to other people too, then it really makes you wonder about the how and the why of it all.

Gerrold's TRIBBLES book mentions how Norman Spinrad thought DOOMSDAY MACHINE had been ruined by rewrites (then again, Spinrad also managed to get another of his scripts KILLED by asking GR to trash it after Gene Coon turned it into a comedy. hey, I'd be happy to have Gene Coon rewrite everything I've done in my whole life, because that is one guy who seemed to really solve problems. )
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 02:34 AM   #8
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Star Trek Sketchbook, by Herb & Yvonne Solow, is light on text, but full of pictures showing work by Matt Jefferies, Bill Theiss, Fred Phillips, and Wah Chang, including some I'd never seen before. It's a large format paperback with a fancy arrowhead cutout in the cover, so used copies might be torn.

I found mine bundled with John Eaves & J.M. Dillard's ST:TNG Sketchbook - The Movies (Generations and First Contact), which is filled with Eaves' design concepts.
Old January 29 2013, 08:58 AM   #9
ZapBrannigan
Captain

I strongly endorse INSIDE STAR TREK by Justman and Solow.

And although it's not techically a behind the scenes book, Allan Asherman's first edition of THE STAR TREK COMPENDIUM is good if you can find it.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 10:14 PM   #10
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

I would definitely substitute Gerrold’s “Trouble With Tribbles” for “The Making of Star Trek”. The two don’t even seem like they were written by the same person. “Trouble” is an engaging, informative, witty, fun-to-read account of the development of the episode, full of behind the scenes anecdotes. “World”, on the other hand, is a half-baked analysis of the show full of misinformation which doesn’t sound like it was written by an insider at all. A better title for the book would have been “Every Star Trek episode sucks except for the ones written by me and my buddy Harlan!”
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 10:28 PM   #11
CaptPapa
Commander

I'm wee-bit confused here. To me, behind the scenes books are those such as Inside Star Trek, Star Trek Memories, Star Trek Movie Memories, I Am Spock, etc. However, someone mentioned the Star Trek Sketch Book (which is good) and the Making Of Star Trek (very interesting) - which, in my opinion, are reference books; as the mentioned Compendium. Or, we good just go with non-fiction as the category . . .

Personally, I enjoyed all those mentioned above, but the first non-fiction book I'd grab on the way out the door, en route to that desert island, would be the Concordance.
Old January 29 2013, 10:46 PM   #12
Melakon
Vice Admiral

ToddPence wrote: View Post
I would definitely substitute Gerrold’s “Trouble With Tribbles” for “The Making of Star Trek”. The two don’t even seem like they were written by the same person.
They weren't, but you sort of correct yourself later in the post. I wonder if Gerrold was deliberately trying to confuse people by giving his book a similar title to Whitfield's.
Old January 29 2013, 11:18 PM   #13
Robert Comsol
Commodore

CaptPapa wrote: View Post
Personally, I enjoyed all those mentioned above, but the first non-fiction book I'd grab on the way out the door, en route to that desert island, would be the Concordance.
Who's your daddy? I guess in your case I'll make an exception, lift the death penalty and send you straight to that desert island known as Talos IV. Look what the Concordance has done to me! A senior Starfleet officer and veteran who has been denied an accurate mentioning...

But seriously, the Star Trek Concordance was the first encyclopedia of its kind, but technical stuff wasn't of big interest to Bjo Trimble (I met her once and was impressed by her overwhelming hospitality and pleasantness. We all do owe her quite a lot!).

Bob
Robert Comsol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 03:30 AM   #14
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

Wooops, of course I meant to say the WORLD of Star Trek.
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 04:50 PM   #15
mb22
Lieutenant Commander

The Art of Star Trek and Star Trek: Aliens and Artifacts are not focused exclusively on TOS, but have some good info and lots of photos.

Star Trek Lives! has a chapter by Joan Winston on the last days of filming "Turnabout Intruder". Also an interesting view of mid-70s fandom.
mb22 is offline   Reply With Quote