Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 12 2013, 02:22 AM   #286
Christopher
Writer

Re: Sci-Fi TV Shows that you're pretty sure only you watched.

hbquikcomjamesl wrote: View Post
Project UFO. I remember it well. Produced by Jack Webb's "Mark VII Limited." Had a rather amusing open: it faded up from black to a drawing of a wheel-shaped spacecraft, as a couple bars of the old spiritual, "Ezekiel Saw the Wheel" is intoned on ominous-sounding low brass. Jack Webb's narration: "Ezekiel saw the wheel. This is the wheel he said he saw. These are unidentified flying objects people have said they've seen. . . ." and continuing in that vein, explaining that the show was about Project Blue Book.
Yeah, that was tying into the Von Daniken-style ancient-astronaut hype that was popular in the '70s, the idea that various mystical visions or artistic depictions of divine phenomena from history were actually visitations by aliens and their ships. The original Battlestar Galactica was also heavily built around the similar notion that aliens had influenced or founded ancient human cultures ("There are those who believe..." etc.).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 04:25 AM   #287
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

The Phoenix also did the Von Daniken ancient alien thing. Judson Scott was the lead. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pho...2_TV_series%29

There was a movie made from John D. MacDonald's, 'The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything' which I wished had been turned into a TV show.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 10:31 AM   #288
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

The Von Daniken thing was everywhere in the seventies: at least three Doctor Who stories - not to mention Space: 1999.

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 12:36 PM   #289
MLJames
Lieutenant Commander

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
There was a movie made from John D. MacDonald's, 'The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything' which I wished had been turned into a TV show.
Given how bad the sequel movie (The Girl, The Gold Watch, and Dynamite) turned out, we're probably better off not having it as a series.
Old February 13 2013, 12:39 PM   #290
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

MLJames wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Given how bad the sequel movie (The Girl, The Gold Watch, and Dynamite) turned out, we're probably better off not having it as a series.
Yeah, good thing they dropped filming Batman movies after Clooney's terrible outing.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 01:30 PM   #291
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Has anyone mentioned "The Middleman" yet?
The Middleman was so good! It was doomed by being on ABC Family just before the 700 Club
One of my favorites of all time!
Old February 13 2013, 04:12 PM   #292
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

I'm sure many people on here have seen Space 1999 but when I was growing up I knew of no one else that watched the show.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 05:14 PM   #293
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

DarthTom wrote: View Post
I'm sure many people on here have seen Space 1999 but when I was growing up I knew of no one else that watched the show.
Well, I don't know - but given the comments I tend to read about Space: 1999 here and in other forums, I sometimes think that I'm the only one who's actually seen it. Everyone else has seen a completely different show that just happens to have the same name...

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 05:55 PM   #294
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I saw every Space: 1999 episode in first run syndication. It was definitely less popular than Star Trek, which meant that only one or two others my age at my school also watched it, the truly hardcore sci-fi geeks. At least Star Trek picked up more casual viewers.
Old February 13 2013, 06:05 PM   #295
John Clark
Commodore

I and one of my friends did, but I didn't know of others at the time.
(I've since picked up the first series on Blu Ray)
Old February 13 2013, 08:52 PM   #296
Christopher
Writer

Sometime around 1980 or so, my local independent station had a Thursday-night "showcase" of Star Trek and Space: 1999 back to back. I still remember how weirded out I was one night when they showed the ST episode "The Immunity Syndrome" followed immediately by the S1999 episode "The Immunity Syndrome." I imagine that whoever did the scheduling at the station couldn't resist putting them together.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 09:31 PM   #297
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I remember the shape-changing chick from Season Two, but that's about it . . .
Old February 13 2013, 10:47 PM   #298
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Kegg wrote: View Post
I caught Revolution, the one about the American Revolution Only IN SPAAACE, a few years back
They actually made that? I had no idea it ever progressed beyond script form.

Oh, and I have never seen Doorways, but I wanted to.
Old February 13 2013, 11:07 PM   #299
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I saw every Space: 1999 episode in first run syndication. It was definitely less popular than Star Trek, which meant that only one or two others my age at my school also watched it, the truly hardcore sci-fi geeks. At least Star Trek picked up more casual viewers.
By the time 1999 ran here it was the only SciFi on TV (the days of public broadcasting monopoly) and ALL the boys at school loved it - We'd even collect and swap chewing-gum cards with pictures from the series.

When ST ran (on a German channel) it was pretty much the same thing (except for the chewing gum).
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I remember the shape-changing chick from Season Two, but that's about it . . .
Bummer! -she's the main reason the second series sucked
Old February 13 2013, 11:35 PM   #300
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I had a Space: 1999 lunch box when I was a kid, but I had no idea what it was - I had never seen the show (and still haven't)!