Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 2 2013, 12:05 PM   #196
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Sci-Fi TV Shows that you're pretty sure only you watched.

I tried watching Jason of Starcommand recently because it was favourite show when I was three.

15 minutes an episode and I couldn't even make it to the 1/2 way mark.

Meanwhile I saw the pilot to CHiPs a couple weeks ago, my other favourite show from when I was three, and I think that it could have easily still have made it today. Those two Bikes in formation were just incredible, however as a three year old I totally missed the nuance of John Baker. I thought he was the boring guy that made Pounch even sexier... But hes a Surfer Hippy? WTF! Maybe they played that down in later episodes?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 01:51 PM   #197
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Since we're evidently allowing one-shot pilot episodes, did anybody else see Gerry Anderson's The Day After Tomorrow. As I recall, it was shown in my area of Kentucky during a week day afternoon, after school, confirmed by the wiki to be on NBC's Special Treat.
Yes, I saw it on BBC1 in December 1976. It was called Into Infinity then.

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 03:02 PM   #198
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
I tried watching Jason of Starcommand recently because it was favourite show when I was three.

A friend of mine ran into something similar a few years back. In a moment of nostalgic enthusiasm, she picked up the entire run of Electra Woman and Dyna Girl at a convention, only to discover that, you know, it wasn't nearly as compelling as she remembered from her childhood . . . .
Old February 2 2013, 06:22 PM   #199
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
^^ I remember that show. My main impressions were that the "Otherworld" was pretty mundane and the daughter was pretty cute.

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
And a rotating movie type of show that included a cartoon version of Lost In Space
I think you mean this. with the Willy Mays movie being but one...

That's it! I guess there was only one episode produced, which explains why I can't remember it well.

It now reminds me, though, that around that time there was a Space Opera version of Josie and the Pussycats called... Josie and the Pussycats In Outer Space. Anyone remember that one?
No, there were several 'superstar movies' with The Willy Mays movie being one of them. The LiS cartoon pilot you remember also appeared.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 06:34 PM   #200
sojourner
Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

A friend of mine ran into something similar a few years back. In a moment of nostalgic enthusiasm, she picked up the entire run of Electra Woman and Dyna Girl at a convention, only to discover that, you know, it wasn't nearly as compelling as she remembered from her childhood . . . .
Look for the Electra Woman pilot they made with Markie Post about 10 years ago. Very adult humor and pretty funny.
Old February 2 2013, 07:34 PM   #201
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
No, there were several 'superstar movies' with The Willy Mays movie being one of them. The LiS cartoon pilot you remember also appeared.
I know, I meant one episode of Lost In Space.
Old February 3 2013, 03:40 AM   #202
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Meanwhile I saw the pilot to CHiPs a couple weeks ago, my other favourite show from when I was three,
Sorry, this is way off-topic, but I was just curious. Is this just exaggeration? Do you actually remember stuff from when you were three? Or did someone just tell you later in life that you liked those shows when you were three? Just wondering.
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 04:31 AM   #203
Caliburn24
Commodore

Hmm, no mention of Cartoon Network's brief foray into live action? Tower Prep.

I was the only one watching that show. I knew it!
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 05:28 AM   #204
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

I remember a pilot movie that aired in 1994 on the Prime Time Entertainment Network, called Island City. It starred Kevin Conroy. I had seen Batman TAS prior to this, though I can't recall if at the time I recognized his name or voice.

Speaking of cities , there was a short lived show on CBS several years back on CBS I watched called Century City, which was basically just a legal drama with a futuristic setting (the year 2030).

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
Hmm, no mention of Cartoon Network's brief foray into live action? Tower Prep.

I was the only one watching that show. I knew it!
I watched the pilot, but it didn't really capture my interest.

TP though isn't CN's "brief foray" into live-action. The network has made several live-action productions over the years, two of which are part of their current lineup.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 05:40 PM   #205
Christopher
Writer

Chris3123 wrote: View Post
I remember a pilot movie that aired in 1994 on the Prime Time Entertainment Network, called Island City. It starred Kevin Conroy. I had seen Batman TAS prior to this, though I can't recall if at the time I recognized his name or voice.
Oh yeah, I kinda liked that one. Brenda Strong was in it too, and it was written and produced by Jonathan Glassner, who later co-produced Showtime's Outer Limits and co-developed Stargate SG-1. I remember quite liking its music, though I've forgotten it now (which is odd, because sometimes I remember music from shows I saw decades ago).

EDIT: No, there it is, I remember the theme music now.

Speaking of cities , there was a short lived show on CBS several years back on CBS I watched called Century City, which was basically just a legal drama with a futuristic setting (the year 2030).
That was a nice idea, a hard-SF show built around credible futurism, exploring the legal and social ramifications of realistic cutting-edge technologies like genetic engineering, life extension, and the like. Unfortunately it was too unconventional for audiences -- too science-fictional for people interested in courtroom dramas and too grounded and dramatic for people interested in what usually constitutes SF on television. So it only lasted for something like 4 episodes before CBS pulled it. However, all 9 produced episodes are available on Hulu.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 08:12 PM   #206
DWF
Vice Admiral

How about:

Star Cops
That Was Then, This Is Now
StarHyke
Gemini Man
Automan
The Highwayman

And movies like:

White Dwarf
Star Command
I-Man
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 11:36 PM   #207
JD
Admiral

Does anyone remember the name of a show that took place on a futuristic medical space station? I remember watching a handful of episodes, and I think I liked them. I think it aired on UPN.
What about Legend? It starred a post-Mcgyver/Pre-SG-1 Richard Dean Anderson as a Wild West author who teamed up John De Lancie's inventor in order to in order to pass himself off as his fictional character.
How about Jake 2.0? It was baisically a more serious version of Chuck. It followed an NSA tech (played by a pre-Covert Affairs Christopher Gorham) who gets infected with nano-bots who give him all sorts of special abilities.
Old February 4 2013, 12:48 AM   #208
Christopher
Writer

JD wrote: View Post
Does anyone remember the name of a show that took place on a futuristic medical space station? I remember watching a handful of episodes, and I think I liked them. I think it aired on UPN.
That would be Mercy Point starring Joe Morton. I'm afraid I never watched it, or at least only caught glimpses.

What about Legend? It starred a post-Mcgyver/Pre-SG-1 Richard Dean Anderson as a Wild West author who teamed up John De Lancie's inventor in order to in order to pass himself off as his fictional character.
Awesome show. Smart, literate, extremely well-made. It was co-created and run by Star Trek's Michael Piller. And it was a great role for Anderson, a character role as far from MacGyver as you could get, really showcasing his acting skill.

But UPN missed the boat by failing to play up the show's Trek connection. They should've scheduled it alongside Voyager and advertised it as being from one of VGR's creators, but by the time they finally started doing both those things, the show had already been cancelled due to low ratings. And frustratingly, its 13 episodes have never been released on video.

How about Jake 2.0? It was baisically a more serious version of Chuck. It followed an NSA tech (played by a pre-Covert Affairs Christopher Gorham) who gets infected with nano-bots who give him all sorts of special abilities.
Never cared for it. I didn't like Gorham as the lead (though I've liked him okay in other things), and I didn't find the premise or execution as engaging as it could've been.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 01:22 AM   #209
diankra
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Never cared for it. I didn't like Gorham as the lead (though I've liked him okay in other things), and I didn't find the premise or execution as engaging as it could've been.
Sometimes someone can be a fine actor, but just not a lead actor (and the reverse). Over in UK TV, Julie Graham is a great ensemble cast member, but every time she's cast as the charismatic lead (Bonekickers, Survivors remake)... she's just not got it. There are loads of similar actors on both sides of the Atlantic.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 01:25 AM   #210
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post

Meanwhile I saw the pilot to CHiPs a couple weeks ago, my other favourite show from when I was three,
Sorry, this is way off-topic, but I was just curious. Is this just exaggeration? Do you actually remember stuff from when you were three? Or did someone just tell you later in life that you liked those shows when you were three? Just wondering.
It wasn't that long ago.

Only 33 years ago.

We moved a lot, and I do mean a lot, so I can identify when early memories happened by where we were living.

but I do remember jumping up and down for those two shows in the late 70s.

Mother swears I loved Starksy and Hutch too, but I don't remember that one at all.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote