Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 31 2013, 04:25 PM   #151
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Re: Sci-Fi TV Shows that you're pretty sure only you watched.

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And anybody else remember The Sixth Sense with Gary Collins? As I recall, he played a parapsychologist who investigated strange events.
I remember that. And it's triggering a half-remembered memory that it was syndicated as part of another series. I can't quite remember....
The Sixth Sense did not have enough episodes to meet syndication requirements (only 25 were produced), so it was tacked on to the badly edited syndicated package for the great Rod Serling's Night Gallery. Rod Serling (after divorcing himself from NG/Universal due to too many internal struggles), was paid a hefty sum to return & shoot more Night Gallery-esque intros with paintings based on The Sixth Sense episodes.

This manuver convinced a couple of generations to follow that the largely inferior Gary Collins series was a part of NG--leading to the impression that NS had a pile of crap episodes in its "fourth" season.
Old January 31 2013, 05:14 PM   #152
Mike Farley
Commodore

Andrew_Kearley wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
Outside the U.S., it was Project Blue Book, to avoid confusion with Gerry Anderson's UFO series.
It was definitely Project UFO in Britain - at least in the Southern region.
And it was Project Blue Book when I watched it as a kid in Texas.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 05:46 PM   #153
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
Outside the U.S., it was Project Blue Book, to avoid confusion with Gerry Anderson's UFO series.
Yeah, I was raised in Florida, so, not so sure. I do distinctly remember the opening credits actually showing a Blue Book and the opening narration mentioning "actual case files from the Airforce's Project: Blue Book". But that doesn't discount that the show may still have been called Project: UFO.
Old January 31 2013, 06:05 PM   #154
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Mike Farley wrote: View Post

Yeah, I was raised in Florida, so, not so sure. I do distinctly remember the opening credits actually showing a Blue Book and the opening narration mentioning "actual case files from the Airforce's Project: Blue Book". But that doesn't discount that the show may still have been called Project: UFO.
It may have been marketed as Project Blue Book in some markets, because it does have an aka Project Blue Book on IMDB and so forth.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 08:28 PM   #155
Christopher
Writer

There's a discussion thread debating the show's title on IMDb, and it's suggested there that the title was really Project UFO all along but that a lot of people remember it as Project Blue Book because that name was featured in the opening titles, which sounds plausible to me. The show was about Project Blue Book, and that name was probably spoken aloud or shown onscreen a number of times in the course of the show, whereas the title Project UFO was probably only seen once during the main titles, plus the occasional commercial bumper or promo. So the name "Project Blue Book" probably loomed larger in people's memories about the show, and since it's similar to the actual title, they could easily have conflated the two in their minds.

However, the name "Project Blue Book" isn't actually mentioned in the first-season title sequence available on YouTube. There is a lot of blue in the sequence, however, which is telling. In experiments where people are shown, for instance, the word "RED" written in blue letters and asked to read the word, they're often more likely to say "blue" than "red." Their awareness of the actual color they see trumps their awareness of the word they read. So a title sequence dominated by the actual color blue could easily fool people's memories into thinking that "Blue" was actually in the title, especially when the show is about a project with "Blue" in its title.

As for myself, I definitely remember it being called Project UFO when I watched it. And I only had black-and-white TV at the time, so I would've been immune to the color-confusion effect.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 09:32 PM   #156
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I remember watching Project UFO as a child (and I clearly remember it being called that, as it contrasted with the "Project Blue Book" repeatedly referred to within the show), that is until the show became a monumental bore. I don't think this is going to qualify as a show that no one else watched.
Old January 31 2013, 10:41 PM   #157
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
There's a discussion thread debating the show's title on IMDb, and it's suggested there that the title was really Project UFO all along but that a lot of people remember it as Project Blue Book because that name was featured in the opening titles, which sounds plausible to me. The show was about Project Blue Book, and that name was probably spoken aloud or shown onscreen a number of times in the course of the show, whereas the title Project UFO was probably only seen once during the main titles, plus the occasional commercial bumper or promo. So the name "Project Blue Book" probably loomed larger in people's memories about the show, and since it's similar to the actual title, they could easily have conflated the two in their minds.

However, the name "Project Blue Book" isn't actually mentioned in the first-season title sequence available on YouTube. There is a lot of blue in the sequence, however, which is telling. In experiments where people are shown, for instance, the word "RED" written in blue letters and asked to read the word, they're often more likely to say "blue" than "red." Their awareness of the actual color they see trumps their awareness of the word they read. So a title sequence dominated by the actual color blue could easily fool people's memories into thinking that "Blue" was actually in the title, especially when the show is about a project with "Blue" in its title.

As for myself, I definitely remember it being called Project UFO when I watched it. And I only had black-and-white TV at the time, so I would've been immune to the color-confusion effect.
I remember it as Project UFO too. I remember it because A) I wasn't allowed to stay up and watch it, and B) because I thought it was real.
Old January 31 2013, 10:44 PM   #158
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Other short-lived horror anthology series: The Dark Room, Ghost Story, and Circle of Fear.

And anybody else remember The Sixth Sense with Gary Collins? As I recall, he played a parapsychologist who investigated strange events.

(No relation to the much later Bruce Willis movie.)
Masters of Science Fiction. The network gave it NO chance to succeed. It could have been the best SF show ever. I own all 6 episodes.

RAMA
Old February 1 2013, 03:17 AM   #159
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Anyone remember "Science Fiction Theater" with Truman Bradley? Circa 1950s, color, I think it was only syndicated. Really low budget, I don't remember any good special effects.
Old February 1 2013, 03:21 AM   #160
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

RAMA wrote: View Post
Masters of Science Fiction. The network gave it NO chance to succeed. It could have been the best SF show ever. I own all 6 episodes.
It definitely had lots of potential I have it too
Old February 1 2013, 04:03 AM   #161
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Anyone remember "Science Fiction Theater" with Truman Bradley? Circa 1950s, color, I think it was only syndicated. Really low budget, I don't remember any good special effects.
George McFly's favorite show!
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 04:30 AM   #162
Dale Sams
Captain

I'm down to Saturday Morning fare to try and think of obscure shows:

Ark II!

Run Joe Run should be science fiction since it was basicaly The Fugitive, with a dog as David Janssen.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 04:36 AM   #163
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I totally watched Ark II.
Old February 1 2013, 04:42 AM   #164
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

How about Earth 2?
Old February 1 2013, 04:52 AM   #165
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I remember Earth 2 being on, but never saw it. I missed a lot of shows between '82 and '90 because I was usually doing nightly computer maintenance from 2pm to 10pm or whenever all the backups were finished. That's why I bought my first VCR.

Oh, I see it was '94-'95. I had hit hard times again, moved a lot, and finally got another job with hours from 3pm to 9pm.

Word to the Wise: An A.A. in Humanities doesn't do shit.

Last edited by Melakon; February 1 2013 at 05:10 AM.
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote