Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 31 2013, 04:38 AM   #136
Dale Sams
Captain

Re: Sci-Fi TV Shows that you're pretty sure only you watched.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Other short-lived horror anthology series: The Dark Room, Ghost Story, and Circle of Fear.

And anybody else remember The Sixth Sense with Gary Collins? As I recall, he played a parapsychologist who investigated strange events.

(No relation to the much later Bruce Willis movie.)
Yup. I was going to mention it, but was trying to remember some other obscure horror anthologies.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 04:54 AM   #137
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Captain Nice.
Mister Terrific.

Comedies, both tried to capitalize on the Batman craze and failed.

At least Captain Nice starred William Daniels. Mister Terrific had some guy I never heard of before or after, Stephen Strimpell. But it did have Dick Gautier (Hymie the Robot from Get Smart!)

And I think the original Chips Ahoy Cookies commercial mascot was some fat costumed oaf named Cookieman. Our high school assistant gym coach was Mr. Cookson, equally fat, so he got called Cookieman behind his back. Though one time he heard it, and we never before saw him move that fast after the kid.
Old January 31 2013, 04:59 AM   #138
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

View USS Kongo's Twitter Profile

Oh, God, I had forgotten all about Fantastic Journey. I watched it religiously when it aired as a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwXtFFZ4mo8

Did anybody mention Gemini Man, yet? He had a watch that turned him invisible for a brief time. I loved that, too, for the short time it was on TV.
USS Kongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 05:12 AM   #139
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Project UFO - A lot of people I talk to remember the show but say they never watched it. I know everyone like to talk about Kolchak from Night Stalker being the precursor to the X-Files, to me it's Project UFO. For years watching X-Files I always wished that they would have had the actors from this show reprise their characters on the X-Files. I so loved this show as a kid, still remember most of the shows.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 05:42 AM   #140
Dale Sams
Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
Captain Nice.
Mister Terrific.

Comedies, both tried to capitalize on the Batman craze and failed.

At least Captain Nice starred William Daniels. Mister Terrific had some guy I never heard of before or after, Stephen Strimpell. But it did have Dick Gautier (Hymie the Robot from Get Smart!)

And I think the original Chips Ahoy Cookies commercial mascot was some fat costumed oaf named Cookieman. Our high school assistant gym coach was Mr. Cookson, equally fat, so he got called Cookieman behind his back. Though one time he heard it, and we never before saw him move that fast after the kid.
I watched an ep of Alfred Hitchcock Presents just now, and never would have known who Skip Homeier (by name) was but for your avatar.

Last edited by Dale Sams; January 31 2013 at 05:53 AM.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 05:53 AM   #141
JD
Admiral

DeepSpaceWine wrote: View Post

John Doe was on Fox at the same time as Firefly and got much better ratings than it. Still not enough to not get cancelled though. Fastlane was on at that same time too.
My mom and I watched John Doe and we both enjoyed it.

To this day though one of our shared favorites is Special Unit 2. It's one not a lot of people have heard of but we loved it. They showed it for a while a couple years back on Syfy and we were ecstatic. For those who aren't familiar with it, SU2 followed a special branch of the Chicago PD who deal with monster and legendary creatures.Baisically they were a whole team of Grimms who worked for the cops. It drives me crazy that the show was never released on DVD because if it was I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Another one we watched and really enjoyed was New Amsterdam, which was about an immortal cop living in NYC. It starred a pre-GOT Nikolaj Coster-Waldu and a pre-Lost Zuleikha Robinson. The whole series is available on Hulu.
One of my personal favorites (it's not a mom kind of show) is Ugly Americans. It follows a guy who works in the Department of Integration in a alternate universe version of New York which is inhabited by all sorts of crazy creatures along with humans. A Clip. There is some crude humor here in case anyone is easily offended.
I watched the first episode of Heroic Age a few months back and really enjoyed it.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 06:16 AM   #142
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

Loved SU2
Old January 31 2013, 06:23 AM   #143
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Tom Hendricks wrote:
Project UFO - A lot of people I talk to remember the show but say they never watched it.
I saw it. William Jordan starred (replaced by Edward Winter), and his partner had previously done car commercials. Jack Webb produced, so its style was procedural investigation, like Dragnet. Supposedly the stories were based on cases from Project Blue Book. Sometimes they'd show flying saucer type stuff, but they could look worse than any scratchbuilt model you'd built yourself. Even though they were by Brick Price.

Dale Sams wrote:
I watched an ep of Alfred Hitchcock Presents just now, and never would have known who Skip Homeier (by name) was but for your avatar.
Good to hear. Skip had a beautiful voice but never hit it big, even after having his own show (Dan Raven, 1960-61), which I don't remember ever seeing. It was on opposite Rawhide, and my parents liked westerns. I didn't notice Skip until he did Outer Limits' 1964 episode "Expanding Human" (ugly dude in avatar), which has James Doohan as a cop, and Keith Andes (Akuta in "The Apple").

Last edited by Melakon; January 31 2013 at 06:52 AM.
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 07:32 AM   #144
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Tom Hendricks wrote:
Project UFO - A lot of people I talk to remember the show but say they never watched it.
I saw it. William Jordan starred (replaced by Edward Winter), and his partner had previously done car commercials. Jack Webb produced, so its style was procedural investigation, like Dragnet. Supposedly the stories were based on cases from Project Blue Book. Sometimes they'd show flying saucer type stuff, but they could look worse than any scratchbuilt model you'd built yourself. Even though they were by Brick Price.
I remember the effects being pretty good on the show for what it was. Of course, I also for some reason remember the title of the show as Project: Blue Book, so take that for what you will.
Old January 31 2013, 10:25 AM   #145
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

trekkiedane wrote: View Post
Raumpatrouille, despite the cheap sets (plastic-beakers n the ceiling and the infamous clothes-iron on the engine control panel) IS a fantastic series with an enormous following; they even cut up the old (black and white!) episodes and made an entire feature-film that ran in theatres in 2003!!! out of it
I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that it has a greater following in Germany than even Star Trek
Yeah, that's what I've heard. There was a site that had transcripts in English that I was going to download, but I lost the link.

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
^^ I guess I was hedging my bets a bit that it might not appeal to everyone. It has a mod/swinging/retro vibe that some people dig and some can only see as cheese.
I am of the Digger Clan.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And anybody else remember The Sixth Sense with Gary Collins? As I recall, he played a parapsychologist who investigated strange events.
I remember that. And it's triggering a half-remembered memory that it was syndicated as part of another series. I can't quite remember....

Captain Nice.
Mister Terrific.
Oh, yeah! One of them used a potion and the other had a little box with three pills-- two little ones and a big one. I think they only showed them during the day, because I seem to remember that I only got to watch them when I was home sick from school.
Old January 31 2013, 10:43 AM   #146
Melakon
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
I remember the effects being pretty good on the show for what it was. Of course, I also for some reason remember the title of the show as Project: Blue Book, so take that for what you will.
You are likely remembering correctly. Outside the U.S., it was Project Blue Book, to avoid confusion with Gerry Anderson's UFO series.

I'm not sure why I was disappointed by the effects, I've not seen it since it first aired. Maybe there was depth of field thing that bothered me. Or maybe I thought they looked like video effects instead of film.
Old January 31 2013, 12:25 PM   #147
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

Outside the U.S., it was Project Blue Book, to avoid confusion with Gerry Anderson's UFO series.
It was definitely Project UFO in Britain - at least in the Southern region.

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 03:24 PM   #148
Christopher
Writer

At least Captain Nice starred William Daniels.
And more importantly, it was created and produced by Buck Henry of Get Smart.

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
I watched it quite loyally. Back then I was gullible enough to believe in all that UFO stuff and I just ate up everything I could find on the subject. I even halfway remember the theme music to Project UFO.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 03:35 PM   #149
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Star Cops
Moonbase 3

I never saw Space Island One - did anyone?
Old January 31 2013, 04:14 PM   #150
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Invisible Man
The David McCallum version? I remember that one!

Good vs Evil
Wow! I watched this series; it is close to being so forgotten, and that's sad, as it had much potential.