RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,825
Currently online: 506
Newest member: NX3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 7 2013, 11:15 PM   #106
tighr
Commodore

Re: House of Cards (Netflix)

I'd like to know how many people added it to their queue, as well.

Part of the reason that network television shows (and to a lesser extent, HBO/Showtime shows) get such high ratings is because people without DVRs have no choice but to watch them live, the day they air. With Netflix, there is no such requirement. Plus, last weekend was the Super Bowl, maybe viewership will uptick this weekend.
Old February 7 2013, 11:28 PM   #107
RoJoHen
Awesome

And I don't know how other people watch shows on Netflix, but I do one show at a time. I am currently watching "Supernatural." I will not move on to a new show until I am finished watching that show. Maybe I'll watch "House of Cards" next, but I'm not going to interrupt the show I'm currently watching.
Old February 8 2013, 12:19 AM   #108
cylkoth
Commodore

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I'll get to episode two tonight! I'm spending a lot more time trying to figure out what "rating" the show is getting. Finally found something...

Only two percent of Netflix's streaming customers watched the first episode of its new, highly-publicized original drama, House of Cards, according to Procera, which measures Internet use among cable and telco services.
We need to know how Procera determines what program is actually being streamed. Without that knowledge, it's hard to judge the accuracy of their report.
Although Netflix traffic levels on the North American networks that Procera monitors did not go up significantly over the weekend, we were able to distinguish the House of Cards traffic from other Netflix traffic.
How does an outside company determine and separate what content gets viewed at any given moment?
Old February 8 2013, 12:37 AM   #109
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It's question of impartiality.

Netflix could give out it's own numbers but they could easily diddle them since really why can't they make up their own numbers if it means that they generate more profit?

So an outside source, probably a shell company they created and afforded autonomy, would have to be given complete access otherwise Netflixes advertisers who are handing over billions in advertising revenue would say "fuck off" prove to me you are giving me access to the demographics I want so that I can trust that you are not lying you smug bastard.

You know this, it's just logic.

Who is gagging for more so much so that they've acquired the English version for consumption?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 02:30 AM   #110
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I think they should have released the episodes more spread out, even if it's three episodes a week for a month. If for no other reason than word of mouth and press. They got great press for a week, now there is not much.
Old February 8 2013, 03:23 AM   #111
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

People buy a DVD box sets and watch the crap out of them.

It's a practical business model to facilitate these people who are no longer a minority if DVD sales are to be believed.

The immediate binge is impractical because PEOPLE HAVE LIVES but once a 13 hours black of time can be booked, House of Cards can be totally put to bed, unless they're planning on watching one episode a night for 2 weeks.

No one is that strong unless real life forces them to be.

They'll quit because it's shit or start doubling up, then tripling up.

Last edited by Guy Gardener; February 8 2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old February 8 2013, 04:06 AM   #112
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

All I'm saying is that March 1st you can watch the whole season at once. You release it slowly so the online people keep talking about it. No one is talking about the show, they are all talking about numbers.
Old February 8 2013, 04:10 AM   #113
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

No one is watching it so no one will watch it?

Old February 8 2013, 04:15 AM   #114
cylkoth
Commodore

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post

So an outside source, probably a shell company they created and afforded autonomy, would have to be given complete access otherwise Netflixes advertisers who are handing over billions in advertising revenue would say "fuck off" prove to me you are giving me access to the demographics I want
Netflix does not sell advertising on it's site or on any of the movies/shows they stream.
Old February 8 2013, 04:35 AM   #115
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Curses!

Old February 8 2013, 06:37 PM   #116
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I never heard of Procera, but they look like one of those Neilsens-for-the-digital-age wannabee companies springing up all over, like the ones that monitor and analyze social media discussions. They'd have a motive to be objective if they want to get corporate clients, which is how they'd make their money.

Netflix wouldn't be their main type of client (their clients are "carriers, broadband providers and higher education institutions"), so it looks like Procera is using the notoriety of the House of Cards launch just to raise their profile and maybe get a few more of their usual sorts of clients. Here's a longer discussion on their website.

These guys know a lot more about other people's business than they probably should.

We even saw one subscriber on a network that consumed 16G of his usage on House of Cards over the weekend (hmm, how would that affect broadband caps?)
Okay, which one of you guys did that?

They're spying on Sweden, too.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 06:57 AM   #117
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Watchin' the tenth episode now!
Old February 9 2013, 07:23 AM   #118
lurok
Commodore

Just started binge-watch and enjoying enormously so far. I love Spacey's asides to camera, and find Robin Wright fascinating to look at.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 01:44 PM   #119
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I thought I was astonished by Robin's transformation between Buttercup and Jenny from Forest Gump. There's no gradual process with this woman, she just comes out of hiding every decade and says "This is me now, like it?"

Anyone thinking about Spacey from American Beauty talking about how wrong it was to take that tiny blonde child's virtue? How he grasped her innocence figuratively seconds before he was about to grasp her innocence literally and understood the utter wrongitudity of his propectus?

Kate Mara might be 30, but she still looks like she's... I remember her from Jack and bobby in 2002, she used to have a complete awkwrdness about herself... But it still feels like Kevin is treading water over the same moral delema about how wise it is to have sex with a child if she looks like an adult, except this time he's come to a different conclusion.

Old February 10 2013, 02:17 AM   #120
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

TheWrap picks up on the Procera story...

We'd like to provide you with more than a speculative figure, but we can't. Netflix isn't releasing any numbers, and has no immediate plans to. So we're relying on some clever analysis from the broadband firm Procera, which monitored some of the country's largest cable and DSL networks on Saturday to extrapolate that between 1.5 million and 2.7 million people watched one or more episodes.

Netflix declined to comment.

Why won't Netflix share its actual numbers? Precisely to avoid articles like this one, which -- with solid numbers -- might gauge Netflix's early success against that of broadcast and cable networks.
Plus, why give HBO, Amazon and iTunes inside competitive info?

PS, I just got a red envelope with HoC advertising. Maybe they noticed I watched the first ep and stopped, and decided to give me a kick in the pants. (I'm probably giving them more credit than they deserve. More likely they still had a supply of blank red envelopes in my area and only now got down thru the pile to the HoC ones.)
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote