Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 14 2013, 08:32 AM   #136
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: House of Cards (Netflix)

tighr wrote: View Post
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
It's possible that yourself and Odo_ital are the only two people in America who haven't completed the season.
I've got this work thing getting in the way of my binge Netflixing.
I haven't seen all of it, either. I only discovered that it was already released, yesterday. I've made it up to episode 5, getting ready to watch episode 6. It definitely has my attention.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 11:02 AM   #137
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Late to the party, but in possession of the correct sort of appetite.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 01:05 PM   #138
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

I just finished the last couple of episodes. All I can say is "moar!"
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 01:19 PM   #139
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

My screen needs a good clean.

I thought that had typed "Maori" because you were having a stroke.

Old February 16 2013, 08:13 PM   #140
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I love Falling Skies, season 2 was so much better than the first.

Interesting article on ratings....
"I honestly have no motivation to do it," Sarandos said of releasing numbers. "I don't sell ads, so ratings don't matter in that way."
Oooh baloney, they do care about two types of ratings: how many new subscribers come in thru the HoC ads (and stick around after the free trial) and whether HoC has impacted the rate of existing subscriber churn. Why spend a dime on a show that doesn't influence either number? They just have no motive to make either of those measurements public, except...

There is a motivation to release ratings, namely for the PR value. And they have a golden opportunity here to set the expectations for the whole category by spinning those numbers deftly. They've already set an expectation that "binge viewing is good" but now they should be figuring out what the baseline for success is in a streaming series, and then declaring that HoC is a success according to that metric.

Of course if they think they can set a higher baseline with a different series (maybe that Eli Roth horror series?) they'd be smart to hold off for now and set the baseline higher, so that it's harder for competitors to meet it. Right now they're still in learning mode. It's possible that a political thriller and a horror series are vastly different in their appeal on streaming, and what about a revival of a cult series like Arrested Development?

Netflix has shown a lack of sophistication in PR before, with the whole Quiwkster debacle. The tension here is between Netflix setting the wrong baseline by jumping too soon, vs waiting too long and letting Amazon beat them to the punch.

EDIT: Oh wait, we will get the numbers...in April...when Netflix releases its financials for the quarter. THEN we shall see! And no doubt we'll get some indication of coming attractions before then, as Netflix sets expectations. The fact that Reed Hastings isn't spinning wildly now is a good sign that Wall Street will not be terribly unhappy with the results.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; February 16 2013 at 08:47 PM.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 10:49 PM   #141
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Crappy shows in America get cancelled quickly, good shows too, however two years later I still see banner ad posters in bustops talking about "a new hit show" out here in the rim of the colonies.

Fricking zombies farmed out to idjits who don't know no better.

Old February 17 2013, 12:27 AM   #142
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Yeah the article is more "It's not important if the show is a it now, we need to see where the numbers lead". So yeah the end of the quarters they will brag.

Begs the question, if Netflix cancels a show, is there talk of a TV channel picking it up? Every show that gets canceled someone emails Netflix, does it go the other way?
Old February 17 2013, 03:24 AM   #143
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

What about the show itself? That's what I came here looking for.

Dark. So dark, like the anti-West Wing.

Do you want to see Spacey's character get taken down?

I only read toward the end of my viewing binge that there will be a S2.

It's so relentlessly grim, with everyone lying, using everyone else, I don't know if I'd start a S2. It sure was well-engineered through datamining to keep me watching.
Old February 17 2013, 06:23 AM   #144
tighr
Commodore

plynch wrote: View Post
What about the show itself? That's what I came here looking for.
Yeah, I set up a spoilers thread here: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=203239

I thought it was a good idea to let this thread stick around to discuss the idea of a Netflix show, and the ratings/numbers/etc released about it. Actual discussion of the content of the episodes should be in a spoiler thread, based on the fact that its not traditionally episodic, and everyone is at different points in the show.
Old February 17 2013, 07:53 AM   #145
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

It is a good idea. I haven't seen it yet but the ratings talk is "fun".
Old February 17 2013, 08:11 PM   #146
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I'm only up to episode 8, so I still can't look at the other thread!

I noticed something interesting, the "Popular on Netflix" ribbon of about 40 or so titles now includes the original House of Cards, so that's getting a big bump too. I also noticed that every series of Star Trek except poor ENT is on the list. That must be a general list since there's a different one telling me what I'd like (apparently I'm not much of a Trekkie after all according to Netflix).

Anyway, Netflix must be paying attention to that. The moral of the story is that it's worthwhile to do a series under some existing name - remake, continuation - because then you get "credit" for the old one, too. Hanging onto new subscribers depends on giving them something else to watch when they finished whatever they came in to see.
Old February 17 2013, 09:11 PM   #147
Jax
Admiral

Just finished the show and got to say a very impressive show Netflix manage to create here, Spacey deserves a couple of nominations and overall the cast is very solid. I look forward to season 2.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 10:13 PM   #148
tighr
Commodore

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
The moral of the story is that it's worthwhile to do a series under some existing name - remake, continuation - because then you get "credit" for the old one, too. Hanging onto new subscribers depends on giving them something else to watch when they finished whatever they came in to see.
Certainly seems to be the case with Arrested Development. I am rewatching the old episodes (in a haphazard order, too) of that show in preparation for the new episodes. I want to make sure I remember all the inside jokes.
Old February 17 2013, 11:03 PM   #149
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Why we shouldn't need to have two threads for HoC.

But what role does the social viewing experience fit in our own personal enjoyment of a show? Isn't the way we enjoy a show independent of how others feel about it? Not necessarily. Our brains, through what is known as our limbic resonance, may actually rely to a certain extent on the way others feel about what we watch in deciding how we feel about it.

Limbic resonance may be why we have viewing parties for premieres of shows, and why we still enjoy going to movie theaters or catching premieres of films at film festivals like Sundance. Entrepreneur and MIT Media Labs assistant professor Kevin Slavin suggests limbic resonance is the reason behind the emergence of things like the laugh track on sitcoms and the TV-show backchannel chatter on Twitter (so pronounced it's led to its own Nielsen rating).

So perhaps while Netflix's new video format bends to the way we watch, it doesn't bend to the way we watch together. At least not yet. Netflix's challenge -- and perhaps ours too -- will be to reinvent the shared viewing experience.

Netflix has a lot of options. It can use the viewing data it collects, alongside its sophisticated recommendation algorithm, to surface and recommend the programs and chapters of which a viewer's trusted circle of friends is enjoying. Or it can grant access to forums for discussion based on one's completion of a chapter or program. Doing things like allowing my friend to see what chapter I'm on in a given show we're both watching allows them to easily see whether or not they should wait to talk to me about that episode they're dying to talk about.

For Netflix, the question of whether it will develop this critical new structure of shared experience to accompany its new programming -- or else allow its new paradigm to collapse -- remains to be seen. We'll have to stay tuned.
Netflix needs to upgrade its social interface so that when I finish watching the first episode, I can jump right into a discussion only for people who are up to that point. Each episode has its own discussion, no need for spoiler code. They do have user reviews, but the interactive/social aspect is paltry and I don't think I can even access that from the streaming only interface that I see on Roku.

Beyond making customers happy and helping them avoid spoilers, the community aspects of Netflix are valuable because they will continue to be in the business of serving up other people's content for the foreseeable future.

Four or five original series per year isn't what's going to keep people subscribing. That makes Netflix vulnerable, since they don't control the content but if they do control the community they are building, then they are in a much better position, because content producers have to chase the audience wherever it goes.

Also from a larger perspective, the value of content is going to keep going down as it becomes easier to access. Piracy is the extreme example of how technology drives the value of content down to zero. But you can't pirate a community. Netflix should be thinking of ways to turn their customers into their product. If all your friends are yakking on Netflix, then you have to join, too.

Maybe a lofty goal, but better than riding the content train down, down, down. Someday Netflix may be making original series simply to attract more of the kind of audience they want - the opinion leaders who bring in everyone else.
Old February 18 2013, 12:38 AM   #150
cylkoth
Commodore

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post

I noticed something interesting, the "Popular on Netflix" ribbon of about 40 or so titles now includes the original House of Cards, so that's getting a big bump too. I also noticed that every series of Star Trek except poor ENT is on the list. That must be a general list since there's a different one telling me what I'd like (apparently I'm not much of a Trekkie after all according to Netflix).
What gets displayed varies from subscriber to subscriber, according to what you've watched, rated, and set your 'taste' preferences to.
The new ''Cards'' appears in my Popular line, but no Treks (all 5 of which, are in my queue).