RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,653
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 587
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old January 28 2013, 02:54 AM   #16
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: If Picard had commanded the Dominion War...

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I don't think Picard would have surrendered or anything like that. But, he is a peacetime captain, not a wartime captain, and he would have been willing to make more concessions in order to prevent a war, and the Dominion would have taken advantage of that.

But then again, if Sisko were commanding the Enterprise they would have gone to war with the Romulans in The Enemy or The Defector.
Odds are, he actually wouldn't. Many of Sisko's actions were dictated either by his role as the Emissary or by the war with the Dominion. Had he been in command of the Enterprise with his wife and son instead of the XO of the Saratoga, he likely would have been as much an advocate of peaceful resolutions as Picard was.
And Picard might have been able to calm down the Klingons in Way of the Warrior.
Unlikely. The Klingons were the outright aggressors in that story and were out for blood regardless of who was in command. The Klingons withdrew from the Khitomer Accords after the Federation condemned their invasion of Cardassian space and DS9 became a target when it offered asylum to the surviving members of the Cardassian government. Unless Picard was willing to hand them over to the Klingons for execution, the attack on DS9 would have happened regardless.
Old January 28 2013, 06:29 AM   #17
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Cool video. The Dominion had the Federation with its back to the wall with their weapons that Federation shields could not stop.

Sisko did not have over all command of the war that seemed to be Admiral Ross' job. Sisko may have been his right hand man on the Dominion/Cardassion Border, Picard could have been his other top commander on another front.

Ross seems to be as close as they came to an Eisenhower type character, the over all commander of the Allied forces. Sisko may have been his right hand like I said due to the stations proximity, but I'm sure many other Starship Captains commanded fleets that answered to Ross. Picard may have been one such Captain.

Picard would have commanded the fleet had Cardassia invaded (Chain of Command). But after the events of that episode he may have been moved to different fleet due to the slight possibility that he did giveaway some hint of information that could be used.

Al in all the war would have not really changed all that much. Picard, may have been able to get other Romulan Senators to reject Senator Vreenax, and convince the Senate that the Dominion was as much a threat to them as to the Federation. Never underestimate Picard's power of persuasion and choice of words. His diplomacy with the Romulans and Sisko making a few key strikes into Dominion space could also have had the Romulan Senate see that ultimately, the Federation/Klingon Alliance was going to win.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 06:35 AM   #18
R. Star
Rear Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I see...
If you take things seriously, TNG recut isn't for you. But if you give it a chance, it tells a hilarious, if twisted at times.
Old January 28 2013, 04:47 PM   #19
sonak
Vice Admiral

Picard is an explorer and a diplomat, not a war strategist. He'd be the guy then send in to try to avert the war or to reach a settlement once it's over.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 10:19 PM   #20
CorporalClegg
Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I see...
If you take things seriously, TNG recut isn't for you. But if you give it a chance, it tells a hilarious, if twisted at times.
Pfft. I don't anything seriously, except for zombies. And attorneys. And zombie attorneys.
Old January 28 2013, 10:34 PM   #21
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

We already got part of the answer. In Insurrection, Picard and his crew were sent on an archaeological mission. In the flagship and all.

TNG was just too nice and was too set into trying to remind us that the Enterprise was a ship of exploration.

TNG had its style, DS9 and the others had their own.

No way would Picard would trick the Romulans into the war. And that was a turning point in the war.

Picard might have found a way to beat the Dominion, but it would have been a lot different.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 06:57 PM   #22
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Nightdiamond wrote: View Post
We already got part of the answer. In Insurrection, Picard and his crew were sent on an archaeological mission. In the flagship and all.

TNG was just too nice and was too set into trying to remind us that the Enterprise was a ship of exploration.

No way would Picard would trick the Romulans into the war. And that was a turning point in the war.

Picard might have found a way to beat the Dominion, but it would have been a lot different.
French jokes and Picard's tendency to surrender aside..... what do you think Picard would do with the Jack Pack presenting their Inevitable Doom Scenario to him?
Old January 30 2013, 01:31 AM   #23
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
Nightdiamond wrote: View Post

French jokes and Picard's tendency to surrender aside..... what do you think Picard would do with the Jack Pack presenting their Inevitable Doom Scenario to him?
I think in this case Picard would be stubborn and want to fight on. He's been shown to be really stubborn in some situations, like in First Contact, where 21st century human of all people, had to convince him how stubborn he was being.

After a loooong (but interesting) philosophical discussion/debate on it first, I think Picard would say something similar to what Sisko said.

Still it's a wonder did Starfleet sent Picard and flagship to study ancient ruins instead of fighting in the war.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 01:36 AM   #24
Photon
Commodore

Unicron wrote: View Post
Would it have been shorter?
Pee-KARD would have the Female SS to go rock and ancient pot hunting on LesserKnown IV. After the mission, she would have said, "F this why do we want to conquer these nerds"
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote