RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,709
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 464
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 27 2013, 07:57 PM   #31
Tiberius
Commodore

Re: Raiders Of The Lost Ark....

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I also don't know how he survived hanging from a sub.
Same way he survived hiding inside a fridge.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 09:19 PM   #32
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

He's the goddamn Hat man.
Old January 27 2013, 09:51 PM   #33
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Tiberius wrote: View Post
Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I also don't know how he survived hanging from a sub.
Same way he survived hiding inside a fridge.
Same way he survived ghostly apparitions by just shutting his eyes

Same way he survived someone reaching into his chest
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 12:45 AM   #34
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

- In the third film when Indy is talking to the Nazis about his friend Marcus who supposedly can blend in and disappear, and then the scene cuts to the actual Marcus who is like the most obvious tourist ever, "Does anyone here speak English?"
I think what made that scene is what he says next:

"...or maybe ancient Greek?"
Old January 28 2013, 07:54 AM   #35
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Why would you use a submarine if you didn't submerge? Why not use a boat? Clearly they CHOSE a sub....
In fairness we can only go by what we see onscreen. Comics and novelizations don't really count. Onscreen we never see the sub actually submerge. That said it was an extremely crazy thing for Jones to do if the sub actually had submerged. In the end the main thing Jones accomplished was saving Marion---he realized what was about to happen and convinced her to keep her eyes closed. Without Jones she might have felt compelled to watch what was going on only to be destroyed along with the rest. Sometime later the ark might have been found again, but Marion would likely have been dead. So Jones did in fact save her only not in the expected conventional way.
Funny thing is: Marion wouldn't have been there at all if Indy had just stayed at the University. And the Nazis would still have died.

Old subs of that era were more effective on the surface than submerged if you wanted speed. There's also the matter of fresh air supply. So if you have no reason to be concealed than you stay surfaced. You only submerge if you want to sneak up on someone to attack them or if you're hiding from reconnaissance planes or enemy ships.
If you have no reason to be concealed why take a sub? Surely a ship would've been better. Faster. More space for men and supplies.

You take a sub because you are going underwater at some point.
Old January 28 2013, 08:10 AM   #36
Immolatus
Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
Tiberius wrote: View Post
I watched this the other day. I love it when that guy's face melts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3ythpzsu18
Spoilers!!!
funny u say that. just yesterday I saw the movie Arthur for the 1st time so there are people who haven't seen these old movies
Beware the beast man for he is the Devils pawn. Alone among Gods primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Let him not breed in great numbers for he will make a desert of his home & yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Immolatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 09:07 AM   #37
MacLeod
Admiral

Why would you use a submarine if you didn't submerge? Why not use a boat? Clearly they CHOSE a sub....
In fairness we can only go by what we see onscreen. Comics and novelizations don't really count. Onscreen we never see the sub actually submerge. That said it was an extremely crazy thing for Jones to do if the sub actually had submerged. In the end the main thing Jones accomplished was saving Marion---he realized what was about to happen and convinced her to keep her eyes closed. Without Jones she might have felt compelled to watch what was going on only to be destroyed along with the rest. Sometime later the ark might have been found again, but Marion would likely have been dead. So Jones did in fact save her only not in the expected conventional way.
Funny thing is: Marion wouldn't have been there at all if Indy had just stayed at the University. And the Nazis would still have died.

Old subs of that era were more effective on the surface than submerged if you wanted speed. There's also the matter of fresh air supply. So if you have no reason to be concealed than you stay surfaced. You only submerge if you want to sneak up on someone to attack them or if you're hiding from reconnaissance planes or enemy ships.
If you have no reason to be concealed why take a sub? Surely a ship would've been better. Faster. More space for men and supplies.

You take a sub because you are going underwater at some point.
A submarine might have been the only vessel available, and the German surface fleet wasn't that large in 1936 if I remember my history correctly.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 09:11 AM   #38
Warped9
Admiral

And for dramatic visual impact very little is as immediately identifiable as "German military" than a U-boat. This is, after all, still a straight up adventure movie.
Old January 28 2013, 09:15 AM   #39
Lance
Commodore

This movie was the holy grail for me when I was a kid. I'd had ample opportunities to watch "Temple of Doom", and local television seemed to show "Last Crusade" every other week. But for some reason Raiders never used to pop up. Even my local video shop didn't have a copy (the bastards). I wanted to see it so badly it almost hurt.

Twenty years later, I don't think I've watched it for a while. But I agree, it's thematically the strongest of the series (though personally I've got a bit of a soft spot for "The Last Cursade") and everybody concerned does a terrific job. Love Karen Allen as Marian as well, she's got excellent chemistry with Ford, they had a real Bogie/Becall thing going on there. If there's any one thing I think "Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull" did right it was brining her back.
"Raiders" is a true classic. Iconic, even.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 03:31 PM   #40
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

And for dramatic visual impact very little is as immediately identifiable as "German military" than a U-boat. This is, after all, still a straight up adventure movie.
I'm still going with efficient lungs.
Old January 28 2013, 04:50 PM   #41
Christopher
Writer

Lance wrote: View Post
Love Karen Allen as Marian as well, she's got excellent chemistry with Ford, they had a real Bogie/Becall thing going on there. If there's any one thing I think "Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull" did right it was brining her back.
Well, yes and no. In theory, bringing her back was a good idea, but they pretty much wasted her. Like so much else in the film, it was a missed opportunity.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 04:59 PM   #42
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Of course, this is one of those moments where they really push the credibility envelope.
Which is pretty much what the pulp adventure genre is all about.
Old January 28 2013, 07:43 PM   #43
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
Even though it came out in the summer of 1981, I first saw it in the theater on New Years Day in 1982. I wish movies nowadays stuck around in theaters a little longer.

I remember ET was played locally for over a year.
Don't forget, those two were such massive hits, of the type we don't really see much today.
Old January 28 2013, 07:54 PM   #44
sojourner
Admiral

^Things were different back then.
Old January 28 2013, 08:34 PM   #45
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

He has very efficient lungs.
Well, if the sub didn't submerge he'd be fine. Remember in 1936 Germany wasn't at war with anyone yet so the U-boat could easily cruise along the surface openly without needing to dive to stay concealed. And in those days there was no satellite reconnaissance to be worried about. Also since they weren't at war with anyone yet they also didn't have to be concerned of scouting planes keeping a watch for them.

I think the novelization talks about it being submerged... but I can't remember how they explained his survival.
I can't remember how the novel explains it either, but the comic adaption has him tying himself to the periscope with his whip.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote