Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 27 2013, 06:19 AM   #16
Warped9
Admiral

Re: Raiders Of The Lost Ark....

Funnily enough it was a Chuck Norris film my dad was browsing on TV yesterday that spurred me to watch Raiders. We were commenting on unlikely stunts and action/adventure films and Raiders came into the conversation. I then realized it had been years since I'd watched it even though I have it in my video library so we watched it this afternoon.

Note: the Norris film was uninspired and tedious which led us to recalling action/adventure films we thought were good.
Old January 27 2013, 06:52 AM   #17
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Raiders should be the definition of "instant classic".
Old January 27 2013, 07:15 AM   #18
Australis
Writer

Classic, definitely.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 07:22 AM   #19
lurok
Commodore

sojourner wrote: View Post
Raiders should be the definition of "instant classic".
Yup.

I really wish I liked the sequels more, but I just can't.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 10:10 AM   #20
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
I still heart Raiders.
Though it sorta blew my mind when someone pointed out that the end of the movie still would've happen even if Indy wasn't involved in anyway. Which is sorta funny.
Well, it has been pointed out that Indy was entirely ineffectual, really. Ironies.

But the ending, having the hero tied up for the climax, never appealed to me, even as a kid. The real climax is the truck chase. The best chase ever filmed.
Old January 27 2013, 03:35 PM   #21
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I still heart Raiders.
Though it sorta blew my mind when someone pointed out that the end of the movie still would've happen even if Indy wasn't involved in anyway. Which is sorta funny.
Well, it has been pointed out that Indy was entirely ineffectual, really. Ironies.
I wouldn't say he's ineffectual in what he DOES. He's good at what he does. But, ultimately, what he does doesn't affect the end. They still take it to the island, but its God that kills everyone.

But the ending, having the hero tied up for the climax, never appealed to me, even as a kid. The real climax is the truck chase. The best chase ever filmed.
Meh. It doesn't bother me. It's visually really interesting and nicely cathartic.
Old January 27 2013, 03:50 PM   #22
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Yeah,, your first point is what I meant, I just didn't express it.

Still doesn't change my opinion that I don't like the hero being tied up for the entire ending. I also don't know how he survived hanging from a sub.
Old January 27 2013, 05:12 PM   #23
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

I also don't know how he survived hanging from a sub.
He has very efficient lungs.
Old January 27 2013, 05:18 PM   #24
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

My favorite scenes in the entire Raiders canon:

- Indy is confronted by a swordsman who spends all that time whipping his blades around like a lunatic, and then Indy just pulls out his gun and SHOOTS the guy.

- In the third film when Indy is talking to the Nazis about his friend Marcus who supposedly can blend in and disappear, and then the scene cuts to the actual Marcus who is like the most obvious tourist ever, "Does anyone here speak English?"
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; January 27 2013 at 07:19 PM.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 05:19 PM   #25
Warped9
Admiral

Well, if the sub didn't submerge he'd be fine. Remember in 1936 Germany wasn't at war with anyone yet so the U-boat could easily cruise along the surface openly without needing to dive to stay concealed. And in those days there was no satellite reconnaissance to be worried about. Also since they weren't at war with anyone yet they also didn't have to be concerned of scouting planes keeping a watch for them.
Old January 27 2013, 05:22 PM   #26
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Well, if the sub didn't submerge he'd be fine. Remember in 1936 Germany wasn't at war with anyone yet so the U-boat could easily cruise along the surface openly without needing to dive to stay concealed. And in those days there was no satellite reconnaissance to be worried about. Also since they weren't at war with anyone yet they also didn't have to be concerned of scouting planes keeping a watch for them.
Why would you use a submarine if you didn't submerge? Why not use a boat? Clearly they CHOSE a sub....

I think the novelization talks about it being submerged... but I can't remember how they explained his survival.
Old January 27 2013, 05:33 PM   #27
Aldo
Admiral

I think there's a deleted scene where he ties himself to the periscope with his whip, and waits it out there. Still, that'd be a long time to wait, judging by the distance they traveled via the map.

In fact, I found a page that discusses the sequence, complete with a script excerpt and a picture of the scene from the comic:

So according to the script, how does the sub scene unfold? Well, the boat starts going under, but stops when just the top of its periscope is breaking the waves. Indy clings to the scope and gets dragged along. He then uses his whip to actually tie himself to the periscope, where he dangles for the entire trip, watching as shark fins circle him. Finally…
Full article, with script excerpt and photos here.
Old January 27 2013, 05:39 PM   #28
Warped9
Admiral

Why would you use a submarine if you didn't submerge? Why not use a boat? Clearly they CHOSE a sub....
In fairness we can only go by what we see onscreen. Comics and novelizations don't really count. Onscreen we never see the sub actually submerge. That said it was an extremely crazy thing for Jones to do if the sub actually had submerged. In the end the main thing Jones accomplished was saving Marion---he realized what was about to happen and convinced her to keep her eyes closed. Without Jones she might have felt compelled to watch what was going on only to be destroyed along with the rest. Sometime later the ark might have been found again, but Marion would likely have been dead. So Jones did in fact save her only not in the expected conventional way.

Old subs of that era were more effective on the surface than submerged if you wanted speed. There's also the matter of fresh air supply. So if you have no reason to be concealed than you stay surfaced. You only submerge if you want to sneak up on someone to attack them or if you're hiding from reconnaissance planes or enemy ships.
Old January 27 2013, 05:47 PM   #29
Christopher
Writer

Aldo wrote: View Post
So according to the script, how does the sub scene unfold? Well, the boat starts going under, but stops when just the top of its periscope is breaking the waves. Indy clings to the scope and gets dragged along. He then uses his whip to actually tie himself to the periscope, where he dangles for the entire trip, watching as shark fins circle him. Finally…
If he's partially submerged for that long, especially with water rushing across him at high speed, he might've succumbed to hypothermia, even in warm climes. Not to mention that he would've had no fresh water to drink and nothing to eat for the entire trip, which might've taken days.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 07:00 PM   #30
Warped9
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Aldo wrote: View Post
If he's partially submerged for that long, especially with water rushing across him at high speed, he might've succumbed to hypothermia, even in warm climes. Not to mention that he would've had no fresh water to drink and nothing to eat for the entire trip, which might've taken days.
Of course, this is one of those moments where they really push the credibility envelope.