Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old August 13 2014, 03:44 AM   #61
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Doctor Who from the start (by a n00b)

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Doctor Who is not the best series for anyone who enjoys a coherent continuity.
Speaking as a Highlander fan, its a lot more coherent than it isn't. Plus, with a show that has run for a collective 34 years, its not as bad as one'd think.
I have tried to bend my brain enough to come up with a coherent Highlander continuity. But even if you just take the 1st 4 movies on their own, it's still a nightmare and only kinda makes sense if you remember some of the time travel stuff from the Director's Cut of Highlander II.

Doctor Who is a walk in the park by comparison. There's a lot of handwaving to make things work but there's also a lot of time travel to justify much of the handwaving.
Old August 15 2014, 12:01 PM   #62
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Re: Doctor Who from the start (by a n00b)

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Doctor Who is not the best series for anyone who enjoys a coherent continuity.
Speaking as a Highlander fan, its a lot more coherent than it isn't. Plus, with a show that has run for a collective 34 years, its not as bad as one'd think.
I have tried to bend my brain enough to come up with a coherent Highlander continuity. But even if you just take the 1st 4 movies on their own, it's still a nightmare and only kinda makes sense if you remember some of the time travel stuff from the Director's Cut of Highlander II.

Doctor Who is a walk in the park by comparison. There's a lot of handwaving to make things work but there's also a lot of time travel to justify much of the handwaving.
As far as I can tell, only the Daleks' history and the Mondas Cybermen history are the obvious continuity headaches. But the rest of it - well, they tie surprisingly well. Not only in continuity of plot, but also character - the Doctor genuinely feels like its the same character throughtout all the 50 years. Different, but same. Staggering, if you think about it.

Highlander, on the other hand, is so convoluted, confusing and deliberately strange that it feels its almost by design.

Personally, I divide them into parallel worlds:

1) Highlander, Highlander 2 (2004 Special Edition) and the Way of the Sword comic book arc as a prequel.
2) Highlander (essentially the same basic beats, but a different story - not the Gathering), Highlander: The Series, Highlander 3 (the Gathering references neatly ignored), Highlander: The Raven, Highlander: The Novels and Comic Books (except the first film's novelization and the Way of the Sword mini-series), the Audio Plays, The Methos Chronicles web-series, Highlander: Endgame and Highlander: The Source, with The Animated Series as an optional sequel to that film.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote