RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,157
Posts: 5,344,139
Members: 24,600
Currently online: 720
Newest member: Lord Galen

TrekToday headlines

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 28 2013, 12:01 AM   #121
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

royalfan5 wrote: View Post
A Trek Film and A Wars Film will likely never be released in anything resembling the same time slot.
Plus, only once has a Trek movie and a Wars movie been released in the same year: 2002 with AOTC and Nemesis. And even then, there's seven months seperating the two movies.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 12:02 AM   #122
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Anji wrote: View Post
Being a creative all my life, I have always believed in giving new talent a chance...it's only fair.
New talent will always emerge, but you really want Hollywood to nuture a series of one-hit wonders?

if I was Paramount and I found out what JJ was pulling, he'd be fired plain and simple. Working on these two movies is a conflict of interest and I, as a producer, would feel betrayed. It's about ethics. I'd even do it to Spielberg if did this to me.
I seem to recall fan speculation that Whoopi Goldberg signing a huge contract with Disney would preclude her participation in TNG's Season 5. I sent her a fan letter and she replied with an autographed photo, "See you next season."

I'm glad I don't work for you. How is "Star Trek" and "Star Wars" a "conflict of interest"? They are quite different takes on the science fantasy genre and serve different demographics with only some crossover.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 12:08 AM   #123
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

royalfan5 wrote: View Post
Plus, it's not like people are out there thinking that in the next two years I am only going to see one Sci-Fi movie, because the same guy is directing both.
That's it in a nutshell. In what universe does the average person decide that they can only see one movie with "STAR" in the title, directed by J. J. Abrams, over the course of a few years?

Let's be honest: 99.9999% of us are going to see both movies, regardless of who is directing them. So where's harm?

More importantly: a successful STAR TREK movie does not hurt STAR WARS, and vise versa, unless they're both opening within a few weeks of each other. Good scifi movies just make people want more good scifi movies.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 12:11 AM   #124
YARN
Fleet Captain
 
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Well conceived metaphors and analogies are always welcome.
In that case, there shouldn't be a problem.

Seeing as how you have not laid out any criteria for good examples and metaphors this is an empty statement. It would be like dismissing an argument as lacking substance without showing how the argument lacks substance. Not surprisingly, this is the next move you make...

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I engage plenty, and I attribute as much matter and substance as the argument necessitates, which is to say none.
OK. And I say the opposite. How's that for proof!

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Your argument doesn't stand on anything.
No, my argument stands on reasoned grounds. See how easy it is to just make claims? This is a wonderful new mode of analysis you've introduced us to.

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
That's the whole problem. You've made an ostentatious show of crying over the spilt milk. You can blame the cat, the wind, or Sid the wily dairy gnome. In the end you have to clean up and move on. The rest of us did that on Friday. Yet you continue to play the victim where there was no crime. Now the shit has curdled on the floor.
But I am not crying. I find the whole thing amusing.

I am basically content that JJ is directing Star Wars (a little nervous, but hopeful) and I don't really care what happens with the 3rd film. I am, however, pointing out to the nu-faithful that change is indeed a comin'

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Move on, dude and find something better to occupy your time. At the very least, you can always hang with Tebow by the punchbowl and watch Sanchez do the tango with his career.
I suppose it is a shameful thing to be preoccupied by a message board, but then again, you're here, so I guess I am no worse off than you are on that count.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 12:12 AM   #125
royalfan5
Fleet Captain
 
royalfan5's Avatar
 
Location: Lincoln, NE
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
royalfan5 wrote: View Post
Plus, it's not like people are out there thinking that in the next two years I am only going to see one Sci-Fi movie, because the same guy is directing both.
That's it in a nutshell. In what universe does the average person decide that they can only see one movie with "STAR" in the title, directed by J. J. Abrams, over the course of a few years.

Let's be honest: 99.9999% of us are going to see both movies, regardless of who is directing them. So where's harm?
Even if they did come out the same day, I'd probably back to back it, although I would see Trek first.
__________________
Trouble Ahead, Trouble Behind.
royalfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 12:12 AM   #126
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
I'm glad I don't work for you. How is "Star Trek" and "Star Wars" a "conflict of interest"? They are quite different takes on the science fantasy genre and serve different demographics with only some crossover.
One could summarize both in nearly identical sentences. But, yes, in practice they are two completely different beasts.

Like Greg suggested, I love both, expect great things from both, and will be in line on opening day to see both.

And the studios would never allow them to face-off.
__________________
Is this where we come in?
CorporalClegg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 12:21 AM   #127
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Anji wrote: View Post
Being a creative all my life, I have always believed in giving new talent a chance...it's only fair.
Well, as a "creative" myself, let me just point out that, at any given time, I'm usually working for at least three different franchises, from various studios and publishers.

As long as I meet my deadlines, and don't prioritize one project over another, nobody has ever complained to me about conflicts of interest . . . .

It's all about logistics and time-management. Nothing more.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com

Last edited by Greg Cox; January 28 2013 at 12:59 AM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 12:26 AM   #128
Tom Servo
Commodore
 
Tom Servo's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

YARN wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Well conceived metaphors and analogies are always welcome.
In that case, there shouldn't be a problem.

Seeing as how you have not laid out any criteria for good examples and metaphors this is an empty statement. It would be like dismissing an argument as lacking substance without showing how the argument lacks substance. Not surprisingly, this is the next move you make...

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I engage plenty, and I attribute as much matter and substance as the argument necessitates, which is to say none.
OK. And I say the opposite. How's that for proof!



No, my argument stands on reasoned grounds. See how easy it is to just make claims? This is a wonderful new mode of analysis you've introduced us to.

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
That's the whole problem. You've made an ostentatious show of crying over the spilt milk. You can blame the cat, the wind, or Sid the wily dairy gnome. In the end you have to clean up and move on. The rest of us did that on Friday. Yet you continue to play the victim where there was no crime. Now the shit has curdled on the floor.
But I am not crying. I find the whole thing amusing.

I am basically content that JJ is directing Star Wars (a little nervous, but hopeful) and I don't really care what happens with the 3rd film. I am, however, pointing out to the nu-faithful that change is indeed a comin'

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Move on, dude and find something better to occupy your time. At the very least, you can always hang with Tebow by the punchbowl and watch Sanchez do the tango with his career.
I suppose it is a shameful thing to be preoccupied by a message board, but then again, you're here, so I guess I am no worse off than you are on that count.
No, you think change is coming. And you seem to be hammering that home quite nicely. If nuTrek wasn't your thing, then at this point it's just gloating on your part to those of us that do enjoy it, that JJ is working on something else as well.

And if you really don't care about what happens with the third film, why do keep reiterating what you think is going to happen to it?
__________________
"I like this ship! It's exciting!"-Scotty "Star Trek"

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 12:41 AM   #129
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
...why do keep reiterating what you think is going to happen to it?
Who cares? It's not the least bit interesting.

"The new Star Trek movie is from that guy who did the last Star Wars movie" is a very good thing for Star Trek. That's just flat-out true.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 12:45 AM   #130
Tom Servo
Commodore
 
Tom Servo's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Tom Servo wrote: View Post
...why do keep reiterating what you think is going to happen to it?
Who cares? It's not the least bit interesting.

"The new Star Trek movie is from that guy who did the last Star Wars movie" is a very good thing for Star Trek. That's just flat-out true.
Very true. Good point.
__________________
"I like this ship! It's exciting!"-Scotty "Star Trek"

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 12:47 AM   #131
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore
 
Jackson_Roykirk's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Anji wrote: View Post
And second, if I was Paramount and I found out what JJ was pulling, he'd be fired plain and simple. Working on these two movies is a conflict of interest and I, as a producer, would feel betrayed. It's about ethics. I'd even do it to Spielberg if did this to me.
George Lucas and Lucasfilm produced Raiders of the Lost Ark for Paramount in 1981 between producing Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Return of the Jedi (1983) for 20th Century Fox. I realize that Raiders was not "space sci-fi", but it had very much the same audience demographic as the Star Wars films.

It is very common for directors and producers to work with multiple studios. There is no "conflict of interest". This is not 1940s Hollywood "studio system" with exclusive studio contracts.
__________________

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...

Last edited by Jackson_Roykirk; January 28 2013 at 12:59 AM.
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 12:54 AM   #132
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Anji wrote: View Post
And second, if I was Paramount and I found out what JJ was pulling, he'd be fired plain and simple. Working on these two movies is a conflict of interest and I, as a producer, would feel betrayed. It's about ethics. I'd even do it to Spielberg if did this to me.
This may be one reason that you're not a movie studio executive - because by the standards of the business there is no "conflict of interest" here. None.

There's no downside for Paramount to continuing their business relationship with Bad Robot. If anything, they might worry about the company being wooed away.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 01:01 AM   #133
YARN
Fleet Captain
 
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
No, you think change is coming.
Change is already upon us. That was a big announcement.

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
If nuTrek wasn't your thing, then at this point it's just gloating on your part to those of us that do enjoy it, that JJ is working on something else as well.
I do like nu-Trek. I think the last film was better than most other Trek movies. It was much better than Nemesis. I am looking forward to part 2.

If my line of analysis, however, is upsetting to you, I'll leave off. Fair enough?

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
And if you really don't care about what happens with the third film, why do keep reiterating what you think is going to happen to it?
I care more about characterizing general conditions more than the particulars of the next film. It's too soon to really worry about the quality of the next film, but we can certainly note that it appears that the positioning of creative talent in the franchise is on the move. I can be interested in one (more proximate concern) than another (more distant concern).
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 01:13 AM   #134
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

All I know is that if I can't scrape together twenty bucks over a years time to see two films, my life will have taken an incredibly bad turn.

I think Abrams competing with himself is a good thing for both franchises. Even if he's only sitting in the producers chair for Trek 3.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 01:18 AM   #135
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

BillJ wrote: View Post
I think Abrams competing with himself is a good thing for both franchises. Even if he's only sitting in the producers chair for Trek 3.
+1
__________________
Is this where we come in?
CorporalClegg is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.