Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 28 2013, 12:01 AM   #121
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

royalfan5 wrote: View Post
A Trek Film and A Wars Film will likely never be released in anything resembling the same time slot.
Plus, only once has a Trek movie and a Wars movie been released in the same year: 2002 with AOTC and Nemesis. And even then, there's seven months seperating the two movies.
Old January 28 2013, 12:02 AM   #122
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Anji wrote: View Post
Being a creative all my life, I have always believed in giving new talent a chance...it's only fair.
New talent will always emerge, but you really want Hollywood to nuture a series of one-hit wonders?

if I was Paramount and I found out what JJ was pulling, he'd be fired plain and simple. Working on these two movies is a conflict of interest and I, as a producer, would feel betrayed. It's about ethics. I'd even do it to Spielberg if did this to me.
I seem to recall fan speculation that Whoopi Goldberg signing a huge contract with Disney would preclude her participation in TNG's Season 5. I sent her a fan letter and she replied with an autographed photo, "See you next season."

I'm glad I don't work for you. How is "Star Trek" and "Star Wars" a "conflict of interest"? They are quite different takes on the science fantasy genre and serve different demographics with only some crossover.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 12:08 AM   #123
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Plus, it's not like people are out there thinking that in the next two years I am only going to see one Sci-Fi movie, because the same guy is directing both.
That's it in a nutshell. In what universe does the average person decide that they can only see one movie with "STAR" in the title, directed by J. J. Abrams, over the course of a few years?

Let's be honest: 99.9999% of us are going to see both movies, regardless of who is directing them. So where's harm?

More importantly: a successful STAR TREK movie does not hurt STAR WARS, and vise versa, unless they're both opening within a few weeks of each other. Good scifi movies just make people want more good scifi movies.
Old January 28 2013, 12:11 AM   #124
YARN
Fleet Captain

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Well conceived metaphors and analogies are always welcome.
In that case, there shouldn't be a problem.

Seeing as how you have not laid out any criteria for good examples and metaphors this is an empty statement. It would be like dismissing an argument as lacking substance without showing how the argument lacks substance. Not surprisingly, this is the next move you make...

I engage plenty, and I attribute as much matter and substance as the argument necessitates, which is to say none.
OK. And I say the opposite. How's that for proof!

Your argument doesn't stand on anything.
No, my argument stands on reasoned grounds. See how easy it is to just make claims? This is a wonderful new mode of analysis you've introduced us to.

That's the whole problem. You've made an ostentatious show of crying over the spilt milk. You can blame the cat, the wind, or Sid the wily dairy gnome. In the end you have to clean up and move on. The rest of us did that on Friday. Yet you continue to play the victim where there was no crime. Now the shit has curdled on the floor.
But I am not crying. I find the whole thing amusing.

I am basically content that JJ is directing Star Wars (a little nervous, but hopeful) and I don't really care what happens with the 3rd film. I am, however, pointing out to the nu-faithful that change is indeed a comin'

Move on, dude and find something better to occupy your time. At the very least, you can always hang with Tebow by the punchbowl and watch Sanchez do the tango with his career.
I suppose it is a shameful thing to be preoccupied by a message board, but then again, you're here, so I guess I am no worse off than you are on that count.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 12:12 AM   #125
royalfan5
Fleet Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Plus, it's not like people are out there thinking that in the next two years I am only going to see one Sci-Fi movie, because the same guy is directing both.
That's it in a nutshell. In what universe does the average person decide that they can only see one movie with "STAR" in the title, directed by J. J. Abrams, over the course of a few years.

Let's be honest: 99.9999% of us are going to see both movies, regardless of who is directing them. So where's harm?
Even if they did come out the same day, I'd probably back to back it, although I would see Trek first.
Old January 28 2013, 12:12 AM   #126
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
I'm glad I don't work for you. How is "Star Trek" and "Star Wars" a "conflict of interest"? They are quite different takes on the science fantasy genre and serve different demographics with only some crossover.
One could summarize both in nearly identical sentences. But, yes, in practice they are two completely different beasts.

Like Greg suggested, I love both, expect great things from both, and will be in line on opening day to see both.

And the studios would never allow them to face-off.
Old January 28 2013, 12:21 AM   #127
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Being a creative all my life, I have always believed in giving new talent a chance...it's only fair.
Well, as a "creative" myself, let me just point out that, at any given time, I'm usually working for at least three different franchises, from various studios and publishers.

As long as I meet my deadlines, and don't prioritize one project over another, nobody has ever complained to me about conflicts of interest . . . .

It's all about logistics and time-management. Nothing more.

Last edited by Greg Cox; January 28 2013 at 12:59 AM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 12:26 AM   #128
Tom Servo
Commodore

YARN wrote: View Post
Well conceived metaphors and analogies are always welcome.
In that case, there shouldn't be a problem.

Seeing as how you have not laid out any criteria for good examples and metaphors this is an empty statement. It would be like dismissing an argument as lacking substance without showing how the argument lacks substance. Not surprisingly, this is the next move you make...

I engage plenty, and I attribute as much matter and substance as the argument necessitates, which is to say none.
OK. And I say the opposite. How's that for proof!

No, my argument stands on reasoned grounds. See how easy it is to just make claims? This is a wonderful new mode of analysis you've introduced us to.

That's the whole problem. You've made an ostentatious show of crying over the spilt milk. You can blame the cat, the wind, or Sid the wily dairy gnome. In the end you have to clean up and move on. The rest of us did that on Friday. Yet you continue to play the victim where there was no crime. Now the shit has curdled on the floor.
But I am not crying. I find the whole thing amusing.

I am basically content that JJ is directing Star Wars (a little nervous, but hopeful) and I don't really care what happens with the 3rd film. I am, however, pointing out to the nu-faithful that change is indeed a comin'

Move on, dude and find something better to occupy your time. At the very least, you can always hang with Tebow by the punchbowl and watch Sanchez do the tango with his career.
I suppose it is a shameful thing to be preoccupied by a message board, but then again, you're here, so I guess I am no worse off than you are on that count.
No, you think change is coming. And you seem to be hammering that home quite nicely. If nuTrek wasn't your thing, then at this point it's just gloating on your part to those of us that do enjoy it, that JJ is working on something else as well.

And if you really don't care about what happens with the third film, why do keep reiterating what you think is going to happen to it?

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 12:41 AM   #129
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
...why do keep reiterating what you think is going to happen to it?
Who cares? It's not the least bit interesting.

"The new Star Trek movie is from that guy who did the last Star Wars movie" is a very good thing for Star Trek. That's just flat-out true.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 12:45 AM   #130
Tom Servo
Commodore

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
...why do keep reiterating what you think is going to happen to it?
Who cares? It's not the least bit interesting.

"The new Star Trek movie is from that guy who did the last Star Wars movie" is a very good thing for Star Trek. That's just flat-out true.
Very true. Good point.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 12:47 AM   #131
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

And second, if I was Paramount and I found out what JJ was pulling, he'd be fired plain and simple. Working on these two movies is a conflict of interest and I, as a producer, would feel betrayed. It's about ethics. I'd even do it to Spielberg if did this to me.
George Lucas and Lucasfilm produced Raiders of the Lost Ark for Paramount in 1981 between producing Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Return of the Jedi (1983) for 20th Century Fox. I realize that Raiders was not "space sci-fi", but it had very much the same audience demographic as the Star Wars films.

It is very common for directors and producers to work with multiple studios. There is no "conflict of interest". This is not 1940s Hollywood "studio system" with exclusive studio contracts.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...

Last edited by Jackson_Roykirk; January 28 2013 at 12:59 AM.
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 12:54 AM   #132
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

And second, if I was Paramount and I found out what JJ was pulling, he'd be fired plain and simple. Working on these two movies is a conflict of interest and I, as a producer, would feel betrayed. It's about ethics. I'd even do it to Spielberg if did this to me.
This may be one reason that you're not a movie studio executive - because by the standards of the business there is no "conflict of interest" here. None.

There's no downside for Paramount to continuing their business relationship with Bad Robot. If anything, they might worry about the company being wooed away.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 01:01 AM   #133
YARN
Fleet Captain

No, you think change is coming.
Change is already upon us. That was a big announcement.

If nuTrek wasn't your thing, then at this point it's just gloating on your part to those of us that do enjoy it, that JJ is working on something else as well.
I do like nu-Trek. I think the last film was better than most other Trek movies. It was much better than Nemesis. I am looking forward to part 2.

If my line of analysis, however, is upsetting to you, I'll leave off. Fair enough?

And if you really don't care about what happens with the third film, why do keep reiterating what you think is going to happen to it?
I care more about characterizing general conditions more than the particulars of the next film. It's too soon to really worry about the quality of the next film, but we can certainly note that it appears that the positioning of creative talent in the franchise is on the move. I can be interested in one (more proximate concern) than another (more distant concern).
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 01:13 AM   #134
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

All I know is that if I can't scrape together twenty bucks over a years time to see two films, my life will have taken an incredibly bad turn.

I think Abrams competing with himself is a good thing for both franchises. Even if he's only sitting in the producers chair for Trek 3.
Old January 28 2013, 01:18 AM   #135
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I think Abrams competing with himself is a good thing for both franchises. Even if he's only sitting in the producers chair for Trek 3.
+1