A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 24 2013, 11:26 PM   #1
Beta-Z
Lieutenant Commander

Clever step of CBS to release ST ENT on BD now?

Hi everybody,

I guess it's a very clever calculated step of CBS to release ENT now.
Let's face it, ENT was cancelled after only 4 seasons and clearly has the least of support of all the series, even compared to "stepchild" Voyager.

Am I interested in ENT? Not at all. Don't like the show, to me it belongs to the same, strange ST-Universe than that newly Abrams stuff.
Will I buy the ENT BDs? Sure! Because I want to show my support for DS9 and VOY and want them to be released on BD as well.
I quite doubt ENT would cause the same sales numbers, if it was due to be released f.e. AFTER Voyager or even DS9..

Got it? Does anyone agree?
Beta-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 11:32 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Clever step of CBS to release ST ENT on BD now?

Yeah.

I won't be buying because I'd rather spend my dollars on TNG and non-Trek product. Enterprise should've been released on Blu-ray during the gap between TOS and TNG, not concurrently with TNG.

They're making many Trek fans pick-and-choose for no good reason and Enterprise is the one that most folks won't pick.
Old January 24 2013, 11:41 PM   #3
Beta-Z
Lieutenant Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
Enterprise should've been released on Blu-ray during the gap between TOS and TNG, not concurrently with TNG
3 guesses why it wasn't and is just right now to be.
The material was there... always has been.
Old January 24 2013, 11:41 PM   #4
Danlav05
Commander

Beta-Z wrote: View Post
Hi everybody,

I guess it's a very clever calculated step of CBS to release ENT now.
Let's face it, ENT was cancelled after only 4 seasons and clearly has the least of support of all the series, even compared to "stepchild" Voyager.

Am I interested in ENT? Not at all. Don't like the show, to me it belongs to the same, strange ST-Universe than that newly Abrams stuff.
Will I buy the ENT BDs? Sure! Because I want to show my support for DS9 and VOY and want them to be released on BD as well.

I quite doubt ENT would cause the same sales numbers, if it was due to be released f.e. AFTER Voyager or even DS9..

Got it? Does anyone agree?
i can't wait for Emissary and Way of the Warrior on BD. And the Dominion War...
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 11:57 PM   #5
Beta-Z
Lieutenant Commander

Danlav05 wrote: View Post

i can't wait for Emissary and Way of the Warrior on BD. And the Dominion War...
Then buy Enterprise on BD, to make sure that you'll get it.
Your CBS financial responsible
Old January 25 2013, 04:52 AM   #6
Leroy
Fleet Captain

I really hope CBS doesn't use the ENT BD sales to determine interest in DS9 and VOY remaster. It would be much more reasonable to determine interest in DS9 and VOY based on an average of TNG and ENT BD sales rather than ENT alone what with ENT being the least liked and least popular of the trek series.

If ENT doesn't sell well then that means people aren't interested in ENT not that they aren't interested in DS9 and VOY or am I completely wrong here?

I also hope I'm not the only one in the camp that doesn't want to shell out for BD's for shows they really don't care for in order to get ones they do.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 05:39 AM   #7
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

They're probably releasing Enterprise on BluRay because it was filmed for HD and takes the least amount of effort to release in the format.
Old January 25 2013, 07:39 AM   #8
Mirror Sulu
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
They're probably releasing Enterprise on BluRay because it was filmed for HD and takes the least amount of effort to release in the format.
Yep, this is the reason.

http://www.startrek.com/article/ente...ed-pick-covers
Mirror Sulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 10:57 AM   #9
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Considering the buzz for Into Darkness is entering high gear, yes it's the perfect time to release Enterprise on bluray. I'm suprised they haven't trotted out the "MEET CAPTAIN KIRK'S CHILDHOOD HERO" slogan from the first ENT VHS release. I thought it was a really cool slogan and would probably resonate now more than ever.
Old January 25 2013, 04:40 PM   #10
The Wormhole
Admiral

Honestly, I doubt DS9 or Voyager will ever be reelased on blu-ray. Since they were shot on video, transferring to blu-ray will require the same extensive work being done to TNG. And really, neither show was popular enough to warrant that.
Old January 25 2013, 05:24 PM   #11
Dagoth
Ensign

I definitely strongly distinguish ENT from the new Abrams stuff I don't like. Enterprise was pretty good, compared to the other series, imo.
Old January 25 2013, 06:02 PM   #12
Leroy
Fleet Captain

The Wormhole wrote:
Honestly, I doubt DS9 or Voyager will ever be reelased on blu-ray. Since they were shot on video, transferring to blu-ray will require the same extensive work being done to TNG.
Set aside their popularity it might be in CBS's best interest to go ahead and remaster DS9 and VOY since the cost of shutting down and starting back up such a project would be almost as high as simply going ahead an remastering everything, even the cartoon is getting a BD release and that's not even canon.

The broadcast tapes they are sitting on aren't getting any younger, there will be a time where both series have degraded to the point they will look worse than TNG did just before the remaster.

Even if they don't bother making BDs the shows could still be put online for streaming, legal downloads, and TV for any channels worldwide that are interested, since physical media seems to be on the way out.
Old January 25 2013, 06:10 PM   #13
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Leroy wrote: View Post
even the cartoon is getting a BD release and that's not even canon.
They re-release novels and comics that aren't canon. Canon certainly isn't a mark of quality, just a mainline continuity.

The animated Trek has been referenced in Deep Space Nine, Enterprise, the remastered version of The Original Series and JJ's Star Trek movie. I think that makes it as much a part of the continuity as any other series.
Old January 25 2013, 06:35 PM   #14
Leroy
Fleet Captain

King Daniel wrote:
They re-release novels and comics that aren't canon. Canon certainly isn't a mark of quality, just a mainline continuity.
I never said it was, I happen to like a lot of non canon works with the cartoon included. It's just odd that tptb would skip a huge chunk of trek , and have everything available in HD aside from two shows that represent a large portion of the franchise from '93 to '01 (cost and popularity reasons aside).
Old January 26 2013, 02:01 AM   #15
The Wormhole
Admiral

Well, it's been rumoured they might consider DS9 blu-rays based on how the TNG blu-rays sell. And though the TNG BR are selling well, historically DS9 doesn't do as well as TNG. It got lower ratings, a recentally released soundtrack CD release flopped and IDW's DS9 comic did so poorly they gave up their DS9 license. DS9 season 1 might get a blu-ray release, but if history is any guide it won't sell that well and CBS might not bother with the rest of the series and definitely won't touch Voyager. Hell, I doubt Enterprise will sell that well, the only commercially viable Trek is TOS, TNG, and the Abramsverse.