Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 25 2013, 07:40 PM   #241
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

YARN wrote: View Post
I think we all agree that Abrams pumped some much needed life into the Trek franchise and that he is a talented guy.
Well, one out of two ain't bad.
Old January 25 2013, 07:58 PM   #242
RoJoHen
Awesome

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post

And puppets, man. Do not forsake the puppets.
It's Disney. They'll use Muppets. And part of Abrams' contract agreement to direct SW was also to reboot "Pigs in Space".

The new Wookie:

And the new Yoda too, I assume?
Ooh, they should totally do this as a short film before Episode XII.
Old January 25 2013, 08:01 PM   #243
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

If Abrams doesn't direct the next Trek movie, he and the Paramount execs working with him will pick someone hot who they agree can handle a blockbuster action flick and keep Star Trek on its current course. So there's nothing to worry about.

Do I understand, from the current conversation, that those kids leaning on the wall by the punch bowl at the prom were losers? I thought they just liked the refreshments.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 08:07 PM   #244
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

They're probably just thirsty.
Old January 25 2013, 08:08 PM   #245
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

I suspect somebody spiked the punch.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 08:34 PM   #246
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

Garak wrote: View Post
It's dead on target if you're a curmudgeonly Trek fan who laughably feels they've been betrayed since JJ Abrams took the helm of the franchise, and can't stand the thought of his continued success and remarkable rise to prominence.
I think we all agree that Abrams pumped some much needed life into the Trek franchise and that he is a talented guy. The last film was better than most entries in the Trek franchise. Moreover, I think he is the right sort of guy for Star Wars.

In short, he is cool guy at the prom.

What I think some are deluded about is his commitment to the ugly girl. The one he said that he wasn't a fan of. the one he didn't mind taking to the dance because there was no intimidation factor. and let's not delude ourselves about the amount of time he will have to helm two major franchises.

That and there is a weird sort of Uncle Tom mentality in our fandom. Fans who dislike fans for being fans. Dennis, for example, paradoxically believes that fans are irrelevant (in which case they wouldn't matter either way), but are at least important in sense that they should be insulted by big wigs in a manner that reminds them how unimportant they really are (in which case they cannot be totally irrelevant, since you take no notice whatever of that which is truly irrelevant).

Being able to take on two of the most recognizable sci-fi franchises in history is quite an astounding and significant accomplishment, no matter how you cut it.
Anyone who takes two girls to the prom has to have some mojo going on. Star Wars, however, is sacred. There is a huge pressure to NOT screw it up. At least, this is how Abrams feels. Star Trek just became a low priority.

See you by punchbowl. Let's pour a glass and drink a toast to the King and Queen. And then let's hope for some other cool, or at least cool-ish, guy to asks us for a dance.
Did anyone else yawn like 5 times when reading that?

Your sad high school issues aside, this is win/win for me - a decent and talented director is taking over a great franchise that I enjoy after lending a much needed hand to another great franchise that I enjoy (and will probably continue to do so in some capacity).

Everything's coming up Garak.
Old January 25 2013, 08:37 PM   #247
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

I tend to stop taking a post seriously or even reading at all when the phrase "Uncle Tom" enters at stage right.

Old January 25 2013, 08:42 PM   #248
Franklin
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post

It's Disney. They'll use Muppets. And part of Abrams' contract agreement to direct SW was also to reboot "Pigs in Space".

The new Wookie:

And the new Yoda too, I assume?
Ooh, they should totally do this as a short film before Episode XII.
Scroll to about the 4:50 mark in this video. It's from 1980.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YztgdsnvsU

Then there's this from now. When Disney owns everything, they can do anything:

http://www.endorexpress.net/2011/12/...-photo-review/
Old January 25 2013, 08:42 PM   #249
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

TL; DR generally covers this sort of thing. Maybe TD;DR in this case.

Your sad high school issues aside, this is win/win for me - a decent and talented director is taking over a great franchise that I enjoy after lending a much needed hand to another great franchise that I enjoy (and will probably continue to do so in some capacity).
Yep. It'll be fun to see a Star Wars movie again that's...fun.
Old January 25 2013, 08:44 PM   #250
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Revenge of the Sith had its moments but the last time I was genuinely excited and had pure, unfiltered fun watching a new SW film was Return of the Jedi. I just want to feel that swashbuckling wonder again and no matter how hard Lucas tried the prequels didn't have it.

Old January 25 2013, 08:51 PM   #251
YARN
Fleet Captain

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
You know what Abrams thinks and feels? Woah!
I do know what Abrams has publicly stated, which is our most direct evidence. Indeed, I quoted him it. Here it is, again:

“I frankly feel that – I almost feel that, in a weird way, the opportunity for whomever it is to direct that movie, it comes with the burden of being that kind of iconic movie and series. I was never a big ‘Star Trek’ fan growing up, so for me, working on ‘Star Trek’ didn’t have any of that, you know, almost fatal sacrilege"

Garek wrote:
This adds nothing to the conversation.

Garek wrote:
Your sad high school issues aside,
It's called a metaphor. Pour yourself a glass of punch. I'll explain it to you while JJ dances "Gangam Style" with that hot chick from a galaxy far far away.

Garek wrote:
this is win/win for me - a decent and talented director is taking over a great franchise that I enjoy after lending a much needed hand to another great franchise that I enjoy (and will probably continue to do so in some capacity).

Everything's coming up Garak.
Sure, he'll help out "in some capacity." Maybe he'll get a bros to give you a sympathy dance.

This may be good for Star Wars (Abrams is right that this is daunting task) and this may be good for Sci-Fi in general, but you're drinking the spiked stuff if you think this is direct benefit for the next Trek film in the franchise. Spin it all you want, he's got a new main squeeze.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 08:57 PM   #252
RoJoHen
Awesome

Spin it all you want, he's got a new main squeeze.
And he is well within his rights to do it. You act as if Abrams invited Trek to the prom just so that he could dump pig's blood all over her face.

Life isn't "She's All That." Abrams didn't invite the ugly girl to the prom on a dare. He wanted to make a new Star Trek movie, and he did a good job. And now he's in the process of finishing another one, which looks like it's also going to be pretty good.

Star Trek, as a franchise, has seen a variety of different producers and directors. People move on to bigger and better things. We don't have any idea what's going through his head right now. Maybe he plans to stick around for Trek 3, maybe he doesn't. The bottom line is that people are allowed to change their minds. These are just movies. If Abrams leaves Trek, Trek will find another director.

The last job that I had I told myself could be a long-term career. 10 months later I found myself working somewhere else because I didn't like anymore. Things change. We can't all be held forever to the things that we say at one specific moment in our lives.
Old January 25 2013, 09:00 PM   #253
lurok
Commodore

Who may even...shock horror...make a decent third film!
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 09:03 PM   #254
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Star Trek films have never revolved around one director or cast so why should the Abrams-era movies be any different? If J.J. is too tired or busy (or both) to helm the third film then he and Paramount will nail down the best director they can for a reasonable price. That's Hollywood. Paramount made....what? Almost $400 million worldwide on Trek '09 and is banking on the new film to make big bucks and be a runaway summer hit?

They'll find somebody else if they have to. Hollywood is full of directors who wouldn't mind helming a major pop culture franchise, even if just for one movie.

Old January 25 2013, 09:17 PM   #255
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

This all goes back to the notion on the part of trufans that we're supposed to be engaged in some kind of personal, emotional relationship with the people working on these movies - they talk about disloyalty, and being jilted, and all kinds of adolescent nonsense. Then they express the peculiar notion that the rest of us must be interested in those fantasies as well.

Abrams does Star Trek. Abrams does Star Wars. If you like what he does, it's all good.

I suppose if you don't, you can make up incompetent similes or coin terrible memes like the "Lucas raped my childhood" thing in order to reinforce your personal feelings of victimization - but really, who the fuck does that kind of thing?

Pretending that the Star Trek franchise has suffered a terrible blow because the guy who's in charge of it goes from success to success, and that those of us who are enjoying these movies should feel bad, is simply sour grapes.

One more time, for anyone who's slow: it doesn't work for you to try to paint Abrams's success as some kind of failure for anyone involved; it simply demonstrates the desperate bitterness of some of those who don't like what he's doing with Star Trek - and what he and the people who work for him will continue to be doing with it for some time to come.