RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,674
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 586
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 25 2013, 04:31 AM   #136
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
...pro-Trek '09 people saying it's needed for other people to have their feelings hurt.

I'm sorry, who the hell gets their feelings hurt by some director they've never met saying something in the press about a movie he's making?

Making clear that the movie is aimed at entertaining as many people as possible is part of getting the necessary message out there to the people who need to be attracted to it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 04:32 AM   #137
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Anji wrote: View Post
No, you guys are being too naive. There's more to this.

And no Star Trek and Star Wars are not the same thing and they should never be.
But having the same director doesn't make them the same thing. Are Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park and, hell, Schindler's List the same thing because they're all directed by Spielberg?

Are Felicity and Alias and Lost the same things because they were all created by Abrams?

Are Indiana Jones and Star Wars the same thing because they were both created by Lucas?

Are Terminator and Avatar (and Titanic!) the same thing because they were all directed by James Cameron?

Heck, the late Robert Wise directed The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Andromedra Strain, The Haunting, Star Trek: The Motion Picture . . . and The Sound of Music.

You don't need to imply some sinister agenda just because the same director takes on more than one high-profile project. Or fear that any given director can only direct one kind of movie
Stop using so many examples. Nobody likes a showoff.
What can I say? I'm long-winded.

One more example. Ron Moore did DS9. Ron Moore did BSG. Did anybody have an issue with that?

Bottom line: a guy who directed a couple of movies in a popular sf series is going to direct a movie in another popular sf series.

I fail to see the problem.
Old January 25 2013, 04:32 AM   #138
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Star Trek needed that to be said since there was a low point. Star Wars never had a low point, it doesn't need to be said. It was already made for a lot of people.

Of course, there might need to be some statements regarding the prequels.
It was said because Star Trek fans exhibit an unusual level of entitlement, and Abrams was demonstrating he had no obligation to pander to them. It was a political thing to say.

However, some seem to have mistaken it as some kind of affront and think that he was out to get them, which is, of course, somewhat ironic.
Old January 25 2013, 04:34 AM   #139
Ryan8bit
Commodore

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
It was said because Star Trek fans exhibit an unusual level of entitlement, and Abrams was demonstrating he had no obligation to pander to them.
Star Wars fans are just the same if not worse. I mean, at least most Star Trek fans were happy with the latest Trek movie.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 04:34 AM   #140
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

What's amazing is that people are still butthurt over things said by a stranger to reporters four years ago.

Star Wars fans are just the same if not worse. I mean, at least most Star Trek fans were happy with the latest Trek movie.
Well, we got a better movie last time out than the Star Wars people did.
Old January 25 2013, 04:37 AM   #141
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
I'm sorry, who the hell gets their feelings hurt by some director they've never met saying something in the press about a movie he's making?
The reasons are irrelevant to me. I personally didn't care one jot about what he said, it didn't bother me at all. It DID bother me to hear that it was needed and a good thing that their feelings got hurt. Even if it's over something I personally think is silly or slight, I'd never say that about another human being. It's simply unnecessary.

Making clear that the movie is aimed at entertaining as many people as possible is part of getting the necessary message out there to the people who need to be attracted to it.
It takes about half a second to think of a way to say all of this in a way that isn't nearly so confrontational about a group of people.
Old January 25 2013, 04:40 AM   #142
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Then when it's your turn to address such an issue you may say it in the way you prefer.
Old January 25 2013, 04:41 AM   #143
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Star Wars fans have only have complained about the quality of the product and never about some misguided notion that the product was some phantom writ of their own creation.
Old January 25 2013, 04:43 AM   #144
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Star Trek needed that to be said since there was a low point. Star Wars never had a low point, it doesn't need to be said. It was already made for a lot of people.

Of course, there might need to be some statements regarding the prequels.
It was said because Star Trek fans exhibit an unusual level of entitlement, and Abrams was demonstrating he had no obligation to pander to them. It was a political thing to say.
Actually, I think even that's overstating it. The way I see it, he wasn't try to distance himself from us at all. He was just working hard to convince the rest of the world that, no, really, this new movie isn't just for hardcore Trekkies. Nor should it have been.

Which, yes, was a message that really needed to be communicated to the general public at that point.

Of course, I also think that "This is not your father's STAR TREK" was an absolutely brilliant bit of marketing, and yet some folks around were annoyed by that too--even though that tagline was clearly aimed at the general audience and not us.

Again, the movie is what matters in the end, not the marketing, and not whether our fannish egos were flattered or bruised.

It's nothing personal.
Old January 25 2013, 04:47 AM   #145
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It's just business, as Clemenza would say.

Guess J.J. better finish up Star Wars so he can get to Godfather Part IV.
Old January 25 2013, 04:48 AM   #146
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Star Wars fans have only have complained about the quality of the product and never about some misguided notion that the product was some phantom writ of their own creation.
Um... I assume this is a joke. The "... raped my childhood!" meme your sig references began with people saying it about Lucas. While I've met plenty of cool Star Wars fans, some of the most entitled things I've ever heard were about Lucas.

No fandom is different really. All the types of people on various sides and to varying degrees of how strongly they're arguing in this thread can be found on Gallifrey Base or an anime forum or whatever. The product is irrelevant; the ways in which fans act is the same across the board. Pretty much the only exception are sports fans; while (again) there are plenty of nice people who happen to like sports, there's (especially in Europe) a level of violence and physical destruction that isn't found in Internet nerds.
Old January 25 2013, 04:48 AM   #147
YARN
Fleet Captain

Then when it's your turn to address such an issue you may say it in the way you prefer.
I think he just did.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 04:51 AM   #148
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

It's just business, as Clemenza would say.

Guess J.J. better finish up Star Wars so he can get to Godfather Part IV.
Nah, I want a LOGAN'S RUN reboot first . . . .
Old January 25 2013, 04:56 AM   #149
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Nah, J.J. is the man to get Ghostbusters III off the ground...finally.
Old January 25 2013, 04:57 AM   #150
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
there's (especially in Europe) a level of violence and physical destruction that isn't found in Internet nerds.
That's because Internet nerds aren't in physical proximity to one another. Get 'em in a stadium and see what happens.