RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,700
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 709
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 27 2014, 03:44 AM   #1
Viva Sativa
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm in need of a human Star Trek encyclopedia

I need help identifying the creature on the cover of "The Vulcan Academy Murders" perched on a large rock. Throughout the book the only animals mentioned that correlate with the story are the sehlats and the le-matya, both of which have previously been illustrated as mammals while the animal in question is somewhat reptilian. From the extensive research I've done it has to be a shatarr or a nightclaw if it's native to Vulcan. It may be a non-canon creature and whoever had drawn the cover was given the artistic license to add his or her own imaginary beasts.

I plan on getting said creature tattooed so before I do I'd like to know more about it.
Viva Sativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2014, 04:17 AM   #2
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Re: I'm in need of a human Star Trek encyclopedia

Google Le-Matya and the very first entry that comes up should answer your question.

In the script of "Yesteryear", the species name Le-matya is consistently underlined, like no other word in the teleplay. Also, the script states, "A Le-matya is a creature resembling a mountain lion... but it is huge, has an almost impenetrable leathery gray hide, and the poison of its claws and fangs is lethal." The creature was evidently animated with more colorful skin shades. For the Le-matya's growl, the quite famous call of Godzilla was used. (Trek Navigator: The Ultimate Guide to the Entire Trek Saga, p. 272) The novelization of "Yesteryear" (in Star Trek Log 1) is consistent with the scripted description of the Le-matya, referring to it as having a "leathery-grey hide."
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 06:54 AM   #3
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: I'm in need of a human Star Trek encyclopedia

Viva Sativa wrote: View Post
I need help identifying the creature on the cover of "The Vulcan Academy Murders" perched on a large rock.
As mentioned in a different thread, cover artist Boris Vallejo took considerable license with his Trek character artwork. Pretty sure it's meant to be a le-matya. Perhaps a juvenile (maybe they lose their dorsal fin as they mature?).
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote