RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,170
Posts: 5,435,213
Members: 24,939
Currently online: 479
Newest member: katlynwomack

TrekToday headlines

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old January 30 2014, 01:19 AM   #1
php111
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Is watching Trek canon would be release date or Stardate?

Is watching the entire Trek canon, would that be watching them by release date known as airdate meaning in order like when TNG overlaps with DS9? Or is watching the Trek canon considered watching by Stardate?
php111 is offline  
Old January 30 2014, 01:24 AM   #2
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Is watching Trek canon would be release date or Stardate?

It's canon no matter which order you watch them in. Not sure I understand the question?
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline  
Old January 30 2014, 01:31 AM   #3
php111
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Is watching Trek canon would be release date or Stardate?

sojourner wrote: View Post
It's canon no matter which order you watch them in. Not sure I understand the question?
The question is, does Trek canon mean watching by release date or by Stardate?

Yeah, I have a thread floating around here somewhere about what order to watch, but I didn't question at the time about Trek canon. I know people say if they have time they would watch Trek canon, but I'm not sure if they mean release date or Stardate.
php111 is offline  
Old January 30 2014, 01:36 AM   #4
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Is watching Trek canon would be release date or Stardate?

I think he's mistaking "canon" for "continuity" and wondering how the various series fit together into one continuity. I think.

It's really up to you. You can choose stardate order, production order, or airdate order.

Stardate order doesn't work for a variety of reasons, no matter how much board members here try to make it work. Stardate order creates a mess.

Production order, I feel, works better for TOS, because we see a lot of elements in development in the first few episodes. In airdate order you go from "The Man Trap" and "Charlie X" to the clearly much earlier "Where No Man Has Gone Before." In other words, you get a better continuity going by production order. However, straight production order doesn't work for TNG, because certain episodes were filmed out of order which were intended to air in a different order. For example, Yar dies in "Skin of Evil," but one more episode was filmed afterward with Denise Crosby's character very much alive. Because of (IIRC) Leonard Nimoy's schedule, "Unification Part 2" was filmed before "Unification Part 1."

Airdate order works best for TNG, I think, while production order works best for TOS. About the other spinoffs, though, I couldn't tell you.
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline  
Old January 30 2014, 01:43 AM   #5
mythme
Commodore
 
mythme's Avatar
 
Location: Jim Thorpe, PA, USA
Re: Is watching Trek canon would be release date or Stardate?

yes for continuity sake you want Production order, with a few exceptions like those stated above
__________________
"Be a pawn. Be a toy. Be a good soldier who never questions orders." Kirk to Kang - "Day of the Dove"
mythme is offline  
Old January 30 2014, 01:45 AM   #6
php111
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Is watching Trek canon would be release date or Stardate?

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I think he's mistaking "canon" for "continuity" and wondering how the various series fit together into one continuity. I think.

It's really up to you. You can choose stardate order, production order, or airdate order.

Stardate order doesn't work for a variety of reasons, no matter how much board members here try to make it work. Stardate order creates a mess.

Production order, I feel, works better for TOS, because we see a lot of elements in development in the first few episodes. In airdate order you go from "The Man Trap" and "Charlie X" to the clearly much earlier "Where No Man Has Gone Before." In other words, you get a better continuity going by production order. However, straight production order doesn't work for TNG, because certain episodes were filmed out of order which were intended to air in a different order. For example, Yar dies in "Skin of Evil," but one more episode was filmed afterward with Denise Crosby's character very much alive. Because of (IIRC) Leonard Nimoy's schedule, "Unification Part 2" was filmed before "Unification Part 1."

Airdate order works best for TNG, I think, while production order works best for TOS. About the other spinoffs, though, I couldn't tell you.
Thank you so much! Would you recommend watching everything in airdate order? Like this http://startreklist.blogspot.com/201...ed_05.html?m=0
php111 is offline  
Old January 30 2014, 01:47 AM   #7
php111
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Is watching Trek canon would be release date or Stardate?

mythme wrote: View Post
yes for continuity sake you want Production order, with a few exceptions like those stated above
Would you please post a link that has the series and the movies in production order with the exceptions?
php111 is offline  
Old January 30 2014, 03:29 AM   #8
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Is watching Trek canon would be release date or Stardate?

php111 wrote: View Post
Thank you so much! Would you recommend watching everything in airdate order? Like this http://startreklist.blogspot.com/201...ed_05.html?m=0
No, I'd at least watch season one of TOS in production order. Otherwise, for no reason whatsoever, the unforms change, the bridge changes, Spock's look (and heritage) changes, and Sulu becomes a physicist -- then it all changes back again to the way it was in "Charlie X." It doesn't really matter, though, as long as you know "Where No Man" takes place earlier than any of the other episodes (except "The Cage).

Note, however, that if you watch the episodes in production order, "The Cage" should be the first episode; if, however, you watch in airdate order, "The Cage" becomes the very last episode (since it didn't air on television until 1988). Note also that there are several versions of "The Cage," two of which are available on the blurays. Also, there are two versions of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" -- the pilot version and the regular series version, and the content is slightly different in each one.
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline  
Old January 30 2014, 03:37 AM   #9
php111
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Is watching Trek canon would be release date or Stardate?

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
php111 wrote: View Post
Thank you so much! Would you recommend watching everything in airdate order? Like this http://startreklist.blogspot.com/201...ed_05.html?m=0
No, I'd at least watch season one of TOS in production order. Otherwise, for no reason whatsoever, the unforms change, the bridge changes, Spock's look (and heritage) changes, and Sulu becomes a physicist -- then it all changes back again to the way it was in "Charlie X." It doesn't really matter, though, as long as you know "Where No Man" takes place earlier than any of the other episodes (except "The Cage).

Note, however, that if you watch the episodes in production order, "The Cage" should be the first episode; if, however, you watch in airdate order, "The Cage" becomes the very last episode (since it didn't air on television until 1988). Note also that there are several versions of "The Cage," two of which are available on the blurays. Also, there are two versions of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" -- the pilot version and the regular series version, and the content is slightly different in each one.


I'm not understanding what production order is. Please at least post a link to which order you would watch the movies and series in? I already asked that question but I still did not receive a link to a site.
php111 is offline  
Old January 30 2014, 04:15 AM   #10
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Is watching Trek canon would be release date or Stardate?

Honestly, where the Original Series is concerned, it doesn't really matter what order you watch them in. They weren't intended to be viewed in any particular order and any minor continuity issues are trivial at best.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline  
Old January 30 2014, 04:26 AM   #11
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Is watching Trek canon would be release date or Stardate?

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Airdate order works best for TNG, I think, while production order works best for TOS. About the other spinoffs, though, I couldn't tell you.
Airdate order works best for the spinoffs too. Especially since you got some cases where a separate stand alone episode was filmed between two-part episodes. Examples, DS9's Through the Looking Glass was filmed between Improbable Cause and The Die is Cast and Enterprise's Carbon Creek was filmed between parts 1 and 2 of Shockwave. Voyager's final season also has some issues the Aliens of the Week from Body and Soul are referenced in Flesh and Blood. Airdate order this makes sense, though in production order, Flesh and Blood was filmed before Body and Soul.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline  
Old January 30 2014, 06:11 AM   #12
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Is watching Trek canon would be release date or Stardate?

php111 wrote: View Post


I'm not understanding what production order is.
Production order is the order in which the episodes were actually created.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline  
Old January 30 2014, 06:55 AM   #13
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: Is watching Trek canon would be release date or Stardate?

In TOS' stardate order, Chekov's first episode, "Catspaw" comes before Khan's otherwise earlier appearance in "Space Seed" (solving how Khan remembered him in TWOK for some).
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline  
Old January 30 2014, 10:51 AM   #14
php111
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Is watching Trek canon would be release date or Stardate?

This is my last reply. Thanks for explaining but ignoring what I asked to post a link.
php111 is offline  
Old January 30 2014, 10:57 AM   #15
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore
 
Bry_Sinclair's Avatar
 
Location: Tactical withdrawl along the Klingon border
Re: Is watching Trek canon would be release date or Stardate?

Production date I'd say.

Seeing as how not every episode has a stardate would it mean having to skip those episodes, if you went that route?
__________________
Avatar: Captain Naya, U.S.S. Renown NCC-1415 [Star Trek: Four Years War]
Manip by: JM1776 (STPMA.net)
Bry_Sinclair is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.