Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old September 9 2014, 12:16 PM   #1
Maurice
Vice Admiral

What Happened to Starship Exeter—The Completion of a Fanfilm

Disclaimer: I was not involved in a big way until Act 4, so my opinions are just that, based on interactions with key production people. As such, take my thoughts with an appropriate sized grain of salt.
"What took so long?"

I get that question a lot.

Short answer: the film was more complicated than anyone expected, and people were doing it on their free time, so it took the time it took.

And while that answer is true, it’s just the “elevator pitch” version of the story.

I’m not here to write scuttlebutt or point fingers. But I thought it was worth sharing my observations on both how the show got bogged down and how it got to the finish line so that maybe other fan filmmakers could learn from it.

PART 1: Getting From There to Here

My understanding is that when the “The Tressaurian Intersection” was first assembled there were obvious defects that the key stakeholders all knew would have to be addressed. Part of this was production realities (e.g. due to time pressures on set the coverage of some scenes wasn’t that good) and some scenes didn’t really work when cut together. This pointed to the need to do some pickup shooting.

Somewhere in there the decision was made not to sit on the whole show until all these issues could be addressed, but to start releasing the show as individual acts, like episodes.

Now, post-production on an all-volunteer shoot is prone to slippage. People can’t treat it like a full time job, so, despite the best intentions, stuff happens to cause delays. As such, each subsequent segment took longer to complete than was anticipated.

Also, there were strong personalities involved, and individuals who didn’t always agree on what was the best solution to the challenges the show presented. This is part and parcel of passionate people in creative pursuits.

By the time Act 3 was in postproduction this added up to substantial delays. The fact that Act 3 contained a briefing room scene which just didn’t work to anyone’s liking (despite pickup shots) meant that it got edited and re-edited and re-re-edited ad nauseam, until an acceptable compromise could be reached and released.

At that point, several things contributed to the show grinding to a virtual halt:
  1. Robbing from Peter to pay Paul
    Because the show was edited as a series of acts rather than as a whole, when changes were made to make each individual act said changes had a domino effect into subsequent acts.

2. Act 4 Didn’t Work
    I mean that. I know several of the key players felt they had an acceptable cut in late 2006, but when I reviewed it I knew that wasn’t so. It might’ve been perfectly passable as an average fanfilm ending but it failed to live up to the promise of the rest of the show. Part of this was the fault of the shifting act breaks messing up the arc of the act, but another was simply that the cut wasn’t very good, and I think on some gut level everyone knew it even as their brains said “good enough”.

3. Fatigue & Real Life
    It had been a long hard slog to get to Act 4, and when there wasn’t unanimous love for it and no obvious solution to its problems, parties were worn out and had other real-word concerns to tend to. It’s difficult to maintain momentum on a project of this scale, and it’s perhaps inevitable that it ran out of steam when the pieces didn’t fall together.

4. The FX Mess
    Act 4 required a lot of visual effects—arguably more than any other act—many of which would be amongst the most complex in the show, and many of which had not been designed or had to be redesigned because the Act 3 ending changed the nature of the shots needed for Act 4 over what had been scripted.

All this added up to a project which effectively ground to a complete halt. Even when it got moving again, it was slow going. All of the above had to be dealt with, and some of it promised not to be easy.

Which brings the story to Act 4 and the long voyage to bring it home.

Next up: Paul Picks Peter's Pocket
—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice; September 9 2014 at 11:11 PM. Reason: fixed typos
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2014, 08:58 PM   #2
wtriker1701
Lieutenant

Re: What Happened to Starship Exeter—The Completion of a Fanfilm

That's pure Dedication, Maurice! Thanks for sharing!
Very excited about the next parts.

So (not to be taken offensively, please!) YOU were the person who was responsible for the delay, because you saw the cut not being good enough for being released. Right?

Greetings
Per
wtriker1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2014, 09:32 PM   #3
Maurice
Vice Admiral

No. I wasn't.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old September 14 2014, 06:31 AM   #4
Maurice
Vice Admiral

PART 2: Paul Picks Peter’s Pocket

There are some longstanding misconceptions about the production of “The Tressaurian Intersection” that are worth dismissing once and for all.
  1. The show was not shot and released one act at a time. Principle photography was done in one two-week period in July 2004, followed by a one-day location shoot for the Teaser’s brief planet sequence.
  2. The show was completed one act at a time, but there WAS a complete rough cut before any of the show was released. In fact, it was this rough cut which convinced the key stakeholders that they hadn’t gotten everything they wanted and thus additional shots were needed and some scenes should be changed.
This is no failing on anyone’s part. It’s nearly impossible to know if everything is going to work until you assemble it, so pickup shoots (meaning you “pick up” shots you didn’t get before) are par for the course.

The various pickups included Harris floating in weirdspace (unused), additional close-ups of a few characters, revising and reshooting the Act 3 briefing room dialogs, staging a new stunt for the Act 4 lizard escape (unused), and adding material to the climactic action in the transporter room.

However, this all lead to the fateful decision to not delay the entire show and instead complete it sequentially, act by act, like a series of mini episodes.

When you’re cutting a complete film you periodically look at it as a whole to make sure it all holds together and that adjustments made early in the cut don’t have unintended consequences later. This is much harder to do when each of five acts is fine-tuned, polished and released individually. It makes it nearly impossible to look at the whole film as a piece, so you end up having to make adjustments, segment by segment, to deal with unintended consequences one act might create for subsequent ones.

For example, Act 3 was scripted to end with Garrovick calling Harris from the Briefing Room and telling her, "I’ve got it — we’re going to destroy that thing out there," but as released it ended much later, after the shuttle launch and the Exeter starting her run towards the BFD (Big F***ing Device). (This change may have been motivated in-part by the fact that the problematic Briefing Room scene had been pruned back from its original form and the act end just seemed weak given the compromised scene.)

Not such a big change, right?

Here's what that decision wrought :
  • Act 4 was shortened by 2.5 pages, (about two minutes of screen time) or about 20% of its scripted length.
  • The bulk of the dialog for Act 4 was in those pages, which resulted in an act that felt unbalanced because there was no build into the action. The Act would have to start mid-action.
  • The shuttle distraction sequence was scripted to take place prior to the ship beginning its run, but Act 3 ended with the ship starting the run before the "distraction" to lure the Tholians aside, so the order of events wasn’t logical.
  • The shuttle launch in Act 3 was tweaked to create a bit of misdirection regarding who was aboard it, and imply Cutty's the pilot by not showing him after it launches. But since the episode wasn't shot with this in mind, there was the problem of how to get him back on the bridge.
  • Act 4's whole setting was changed by the last shot in Act 3, which threw the Exeter into “weirdspace”. As originally scripted, the ship stayed in normal space and flew into a “CENTRAL POWER TUNNEL” of the device, but that was out the window. So, instead of flying through normal space as planned, all the action would have to happen within weirdspace (or we’d have to jolt the ship back into normal space, which seemed like a cheat). This meant:
    —No normal star fields as backgrounds during the run
    —A lot of weirdspace shots would need to be designed and executed, requiring...
    —Designing a "dimensional"/fly-through-able weirdspace (the glimpses we’d gotten of it previously we relatively stationary, not racing through it). What would that even look like? This was a terrific problem.
  • And—as Act 2 established that the Exeter crew couldn't detect the Kongo when it had disappeared into the “weirdspace” dimension—shifting the Exeter into weirdspace before the distraction created the problem of how our heroes inside weirdspace could trigger the distraction back out in normal space, let alone even know about what was happening out there.
And that's just what that change to Act 3's ending did.

So, to take from Act 4 to give to Act 3 solved one problem by incurring others. It was robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Next up: The Act That Wasn’t
—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice; September 14 2014 at 06:42 AM.
Old September 15 2014, 06:14 AM   #5
wtriker1701
Lieutenant

You really know, how to explain things and tease: "The Act That Wasn't".
It's a wonderful read and it makes one wonder, how anybody wouldn't give up over the years. It reads like "unsalvagable" - but it has been done nontheless. And it doesn't show any inconsistencies.
Congrats once again.
wtriker1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2014, 06:56 AM   #6
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Thanks. It helps that once upon a time I wrote a beginners column for a computer magazine and also wrote manuals for software, so I have a feel for how to explain and illustrate things.

As I said in the intro, I think the process here may be useful to others making such films, if only because they'll be aware of the kinds of pitfalls that can trap the unwary.
—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice; September 15 2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old September 15 2014, 02:11 PM   #7
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

Don't start the next segment without me! I just need to go pop the popcorn. Everyone likes butter, right?

(Thanks for providing these insights, Maurice. Fascinating.)
Old September 15 2014, 02:47 PM   #8
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Awesome and informative so far. Thank you for doing this. The biggest surprise for me so far is:

As originally scripted, the ship stayed in normal space and flew into a “CENTRAL POWER TUNNEL” of the device, but that was out the window. So, instead of flying through normal space as planned, all the action would have to happen within weirdspace (or we’d have to jolt the ship back into normal space, which seemed like a cheat). [...] What would that even look like? This was a terrific problem.
Wow! I remember in one of the trailers that the effects evidently of the climax were substantially different, like flying along an orange grid or something, IIRC, but after Act 3 came out I'd always assumed that those were just placeholder effects for the ship flying through weirdspace.
Old September 15 2014, 09:33 PM   #9
Maurice
Vice Admiral

The Power Tunnel was in the original Next Episode trailer.

It also features a work-in-progress sky replacement for Corinth IV and a Tressaurian attack cruiser which is upside-down from its final orientation and which fires phasers from a different spot than in the finished episode.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old September 15 2014, 10:19 PM   #10
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

^ Cool. And now it is evident that the Next Episode trailer contained shipboard footage from the final act.
Old September 15 2014, 10:52 PM   #11
Maurice
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
^ Cool. And now it is evident that the Next Episode trailer contained shipboard footage from the final act.
The Act 4 trailer also contains some placeholder VFX (including an unused "BFD" design) and a version of the flying redshirt stunt before the wall was stabilized by NEO f/x. Oh, and Scott Cummins doing a misdirection loop of Garrovick.
—Glen Larson, 2010