Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 25 2013, 11:52 PM   #31
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Re: Ridiculous Injuries

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^Yeah. I was going down a steep hill on my bike -- it was a Strawberry Shortcake bike -- and the chain broke. It was nasty. It was summer, so I was wearing just little shorts and a tank top, and had road rash all down one side. When I landed, I didn't even move. The handlebar just stuck in my stomach, but what I was finally pulled up it just slid out. At first I just lay at the bottom of the road. Fortunately, there was a couple driving down the road who saw the whole thing, and they picked me up and took me home.
I too have had a few bicycle calamities. One of them wasn't really "stupid", just an unfortunate accident: I was about 8 years old and flying down a hill in a bicycle race, when I turned to look behind me and see how far ahead I was. There was a recently repaired hole in the road just before a manhole cover that had become indented from cars driving over it. My front wheel went right through the same spot, hit the lip of the manhole edge, and I went flying like a catapulted rock, landing on the pavement head first. I was a bloody mess with a concussion. Yeah, this was before the days of mandated bicycle helmets. Hence, I always wear them now.

The one I'd consider "stupid" was when I was cycling with a friend and I tried to get close to him to draft. I was fine for a while until he started slowing and unexpectedly moved slightly to his right. His rear tire rubbed up against my front tire. Before I could even react, my bike suddenly fell over to the right sending me face first into the pavement (deja-vu). I still have two visible scars from the incident, across my chin dimple (a little like Harrison Ford... ) and under my right eye. Thankfully over time they have "muted" a bit and so I don't look like I've had a rough life.
Old January 26 2013, 12:01 AM   #32
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Here's my "Falling down the stairs story" (apologies to all that have heard this before):

We had just moved into our new house about 7 years ago, in the summer. I had applied for a job (the one I have now) but hadn't heard back and had a few weeks with little to do. I decided I would go out and pound the pavement, visit a few local shops and see if I could get a job. So, to do that, I need to have a nice outfit, so laundry had to be done.

I was carrying a basket of clothes down to the laundry room when some underwear fell out. I picked them up and put them back in. Just as I approached the stairs, some fell out again. Frustrated, I thought "I'll just kick it down the stairs and pick it up when I get there." So I attempted to do this, but managed to put my foot through the strap of a bra, so when I went to kick the clothes as I stepped forward, the hooks in the bra caught in the thick carpet. The momentum sent me flying down the seven or eight stairs, making a perfect arc, all while still holding on to the plastic laundry basket. Just before I hit the landing, I thought, "If I don't let go, I'll break my wrists." So, I let go and landed on the rectangle, Rubbermaid laundry basket. It was already torn on one side, so under my considerable weight, it smashed out flat like a daisy.

Shaken, I tried to stand up, but it felt like there was a nail going through the top of my foot. I scooted on my butt down the other 7 or 8 stairs and grab a phone to call hubby. He took me to the hospital, where it turns out I broke my ankle and my foot.

While at the hospital, they had to try to push my foot back into place, so they could wrap it in a soft splint. I'm yelling "Ow, ow, ow" and hubby's calling me a big wuss and telling me to suck it up. The doctor looks at us and says, "You must be married."

"How can you tell?"

"Boyfriends will pretend to care."

So, this was my avatar at one time:

Last edited by auntiehill; January 26 2013 at 12:12 AM.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 12:50 AM   #33
iguana_tonante
Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Damn, that european chocolate is brutal.
Concrete-flavoured is my favourite.

propita wrote: View Post
Sounds familiar. I chipped my front teeth slipping on sand on the playground. One filling took; the other had continual repairs over the next 20 years.
Yeah, it was probably the same reason.
Old January 26 2013, 01:03 AM   #34
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Wow... what a story, auntiehill! You're very lucky you didn't end up worse (I've heard of people snapping their spines when falling down a flight of stairs). When they called you in for an interview, did you have to postpone it?
Old January 26 2013, 01:12 AM   #35
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

I was once doing nitrous oxide, stumbled into the door jamb, and broke my toe.

College was awesome.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 01:18 AM   #36
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Gary7 wrote: View Post
Wow... what a story, auntiehill! You're very lucky you didn't end up worse (I've heard of people snapping their spines when falling down a flight of stairs). When they called you in for an interview, did you have to postpone it?
Nope. Luckily, the job I have now is working from home on my own computer.
Old January 26 2013, 01:32 AM   #37
RAMA
Vice Admiral

There are only two silly ones I can remember, one was at night when it was dark and a friend of mine and I were being chased by my sister for some reason and I grabbed onto a pole in the backyard and didnt let go quickly enough, had a broken wrist in a cast for 17 days. The second one makes me laugh to this day...I was on a garage rooftop with a friend and my dad didn't allow us there. When I saw my mom coming home from a walk to the store, we both tried to make a quick exit off the roof, he climbed down, I jumped and landed on a stack of pipes and poles that were standing against the wall, one pole tore through the pants between my legs, coming close to my you-know-where. Probably the only girly scream I ever let out.

Last edited by RAMA; January 26 2013 at 07:28 PM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 02:01 AM   #38
Avon
Fleet Captain

i've broken both wrists on two occasions. and both times from falling off bicycles.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 08:40 PM   #39
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Spiral fracture in my left leg at the age of 7 from jumping out of a treehouse and missing a pile of sand.

A few months later, slipped on wet grass and rebroke the leg in the same spot.

Just shy of fourteen, I had a lateral malleolus fracture requiring surgery to repair the damage. That involved teasing the class idiot, tripping on a tarp over the gym floor (quarter inch of foam rubber over concrete) and wearing tights and penny loafers.

At 24, I stepped out of my front door, misstepped onto the welcome mat, rolled the ankle and broke the right foot in two places. I heard the pop and remember the moment of impact. Painful.

It turns out that I could never fall in such a way to minimize impact because I was born with too straight of legs. I'm naturally off-balance which means a fall that might just mean a sprain is likely going to mean a break for me. I had been known as the family klutz, but after that discovery not long after I turned 29, I was no longer the klutz!

I twisted my arm by swinging on a tree branch and falling and twisted the same arm later by falling in gym class when we were roller skating.

ETA: Oh yes... Carpal Tunnel Syndrome by marathon crocheting.
Peach Wookiee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 01:50 AM   #40
Seven of Five
Commodore

A few years ago I went out for food and drinks before Christmas with work colleagues. We all went out after, but after drinking too much, I ended up separated from them. And then after drinking too much, I kind of woke up the next morning with a broken hand and dislocated wrist. However, I was still drunk enough to attempt to go to work; I was more worried that I was late, rather than my hand being in a mess. I worked for about an hour before giving up. I was so impaired I didn't realise how bad it was. Such an idiot.

I still have no idea how I did it to this day, but my stupidity when drunk is unmatched.
Old January 27 2013, 02:10 AM   #41
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ You didn't wake up with a traffic cone by any chance, did you?
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 06:10 AM   #42
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^And some other guy woke up, hung-over, with a broken nose and black eye, and wondered what the hell happened.
Old January 28 2013, 08:20 AM   #43
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Here are my dumbest injuries:

In high school, tried to participate in a stapler war. Result: stapled my own finger.

A much more recent one: pulled a back muscle bending over to pick up a 10-pound cat. I felt like such an idiot for that one. I had just bent over the wrong way, and next thing I knew, I felt my back twist, and I'd pulled a muscle.
Old January 28 2013, 05:05 PM   #44
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^I stapled my thumb, once. Much swearing ensued.
Old January 28 2013, 05:14 PM   #45
Bigjoe
Lieutenant Commander

Bent my thumb nail right back while playing American Football. 6ft 4" and I was nearly crying like a baby.
Bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote