New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old December 27 2012, 03:07 PM   #1
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Kurzweil at Google

Digital Trends has an assessment of the implications.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...cus-to-google/

The not so obvious returns, aside from products:

http://www.zdnet.com/google-hires-ku...ns-7000008844/

The way I see it, this is still part of the "self-fulfilling" prophecy(at the risk of using theistic terms). AI advancement and potential Singularity are being created on a wide front, likely impossible to stop, BUT without a directed, self-aware focus it may not come as fast as is possible. Google, its CEO's, former employees, and related visionaries are at the forefront of creating technologies needed, once thought impossible or unlikely, the fact we have or will have the technology soon is reflected in the fact they are going to put their money where there mouth is.

Kurzweil’s work at Google will likely intersect strongly with Google’s X Lab, currently overseen by co-founder Sergei Brin. X Lab is basically a secret skunkworks facility that’s reportedly working on everything from a space elevator to technology aimed at making a wide range of everyday devices fully accessible (and interactive with) the Internet. (X Lab spawned Google’s driverless cars and wearable goggles.) Kurzweil has only said he’ll be working on “new projects involving machine learning and language processing;” that seems to tie in very neatly with X lab work reportedly underway on neural networks capable of learning, understanding speech, and analyzing audio, video, and other media.
These are technologies predicted by Kurzweil, and by a certain timeline, it seems appropriate he can influence their continued development.
Old December 27 2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Kurzweil at Google

He didn't "predict" those technologies any more than I did. Everything you listed has been on the table since at least the mid-'90s, and in some cases, much earlier.

I'll go a step further: predicting things is easy. Making them happen is hard. So, I will be curious to see what comes out of Kurzweil's work here. Google does a lot of interesting stuff, and they are at the bleeding edge of data analytics and processing.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 03:37 PM   #3
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
He didn't "predict" those technologies any more than I did. Everything you listed has been on the table since at least the mid-'90s, and in some cases, much earlier.

I'll go a step further: predicting things is easy. Making them happen is hard. So, I will be curious to see what comes out of Kurzweil's work here. Google does a lot of interesting stuff, and they are at the bleeding edge of data analytics and processing.
Actually, its certain many technologies were predicted so to speak in sci fi many decades before, the point is Kurweil built up a connected series of technology predictions and actually has come close to predicting when they will come to pass(most are not so bold..mainly because they didn't have Kurzweil's math to back them up), and how they fit into our future, and has been far more accurate than Arthur C Clarke, or Heinlein or most technological futurists. In fact, in the case of some of these technologies, there has been vehement argument that they won't happen("wearable computers, goggles, etc are one of these: "people will never wear these!!"), or surely not before much further in the future, well they were wrong.
Old January 26 2013, 08:40 PM   #4
RAMA
Vice Admiral

And Google/Kurzweil has competitors:

http://www.kurzweilai.net/billion-eu...european-funds

Yup, he sure is crazy...
Old January 26 2013, 09:07 PM   #5
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Don't you have anything better to do than threadshit?
Old January 27 2013, 08:33 PM   #6
gturner
Admiral

I predicted touch screen contact lens displays, just in the hope that someone will make them and then all the tweens will sit around poking themselves in the eye all day.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 08:52 PM   #7
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
Kurzweil’s work at Google will likely intersect strongly with Google’s X Lab, currently overseen by co-founder Sergei Brin. X Lab is basically a secret skunkworks facility that’s reportedly working on everything from a space elevator to technology aimed at making a wide range of everyday devices fully accessible (and interactive with) the Internet. (X Lab spawned Google’s driverless cars and wearable goggles.) Kurzweil has only said he’ll be working on “new projects involving machine learning and language processing;” that seems to tie in very neatly with X lab work reportedly underway on neural networks capable of learning, understanding speech, and analyzing audio, video, and other media.
These are technologies predicted by Kurzweil, and by a certain timeline, it seems appropriate he can influence their continued development.
Considering Kurzweil is a much better inventor than he is a futurist -- and considering the majority of his predictions have failed to come true -- I'd bet on his ability to INVENT those technologies before his ability to predict their development... or, for that matter, their practicality.
Old January 28 2013, 01:12 AM   #8
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Don't you have anything better to do than threadshit?

Should I have started a new thread? Oh my bad. Ty for your continued useless and uninformed input.