Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 24 2013, 07:52 PM   #91
Jeyl
Commodore

Re: Abrams: Expect To Cry

EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
Why has that suddenly become so difficult this century?
Movie fans man. Movie fans.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 09:30 PM   #92
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
I just want to watch Star Trek.

Why has that suddenly become so difficult this century?
Because so few people feel that way.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 09:50 PM   #93
Jeyl
Commodore

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Based on what? Last I checked, CBS hasn't cancelled their TNG BluRay sets which requires a crap ton of money to restore, remaster and re-edit, the last movie was a success both critically and commercially, Star Trek Online is still around, STID is still one of the most anticipated films of the year AND we're still getting a slew of new Star Trek merchandise from various series.

Personally, I think fans and movie goers are tired of Star Trek being limited to just one movie ever two to three years. There are a lot of stories that branch out a lot of the characters, and there are stories that don't depend solely on "Bad guy of the week" or "SAVE THE EARTH AGAIN!". These new movies may be breathing Star Trek new life, but it's very limited.
Old January 24 2013, 11:29 PM   #94
Grup
Lieutenant Commander

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
Grup wrote: View Post
I agree that it may be difficult to see these actors as 'our' Star Trek characters and feel the same emotions that we did with Shatner/Nimoy/Kelley etc. That being said, a good movie can still evoke emotion about a character. It just won't be as personal. IMO
This is where I differ. I see Kirk/Spock/McCoy are characters -- characters who have a well-established set of character traits. In my mind, Kirk, Spock, et al. are NOT just TOS character they are characters that exist outside of TOS and belong to the greater agglomeration of simply "Star Trek" (of which AbramsTrek also belongs). Sure -- Shatner/Nimoy/Kelley portrayed those characters, but so do Pine/Quinto/Urban.

It's the character whom I feel emotionally connected to -- albeit the original actors did help shape that emotional connection somewhat. If an AbramsTrek character is written and portrayed with that proper set of character traits (an I mean the character traits that go beyond the TOS actor portrayals), then I can see that AbramsTrek character as being the same character, albeit a different version...

Therefore, that AbramsTrek character should still be able to evoke an emotional feeling. I'm not saying they automatically WILL did so -- the writers and actors need to deliver on their end. However, what I'm saying is that these characters have the same potential to evoke those emotions.
True. But there are different traits that these actors bring to well established characters. While I thoroughly enjoy the new Trek, for me anyways, it may take a while before I seem them as Kirk & company and not just actors 'playing' them. I do think that the Kirk/Spock/McCoy/Scotty characters are well on their way. Uhura/Chekov/Sulu not so much yet.
Grup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 11:46 PM   #95
Jeyl
Commodore

This guy can't even uphold his outspoken loyalty to Star Trek and he wants me to cry?
Old January 25 2013, 12:26 AM   #96
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Jeyl wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Based on what?
The simple ability to pay attention to the world around me, do a little research when necessary and form reasonable conclusions based on evidence.

What do you base your posts on?

This guy can't even uphold his outspoken loyalty to Star Trek and he wants me to cry?
I very much doubt that J.J. Abrams wants anything from you.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 11:38 PM   #97
Zardoza
Ensign

If it's well done with the right emotional impact people will cry.
Zardoza is offline   Reply With Quote