RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,148
Posts: 5,434,308
Members: 24,934
Currently online: 646
Newest member: davidhan

TrekToday headlines

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 1 2013, 03:26 PM   #211
The Haunting
Admiral
 
The Haunting's Avatar
 
Location: Starkers
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

I thought Americans were getting used to fewer episodes of things given the rise of The Walking Dead/Game of Thrones/ American Horror Story et al?

At the end of the day all I care about is that Who keeps being made, and whether that's 8 or 13 episodes I'll enjoy what there is.
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with a Walk Amongst the Tombstones review

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 03:33 PM   #212
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

StCoop wrote: View Post
After the news that they're co-producing AAIT&S, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Series 8 is announced as a full-on BBC/BBC America co-production (rather than them chucking some money in every now and then as they do currently). That looks like being the only way of keeping up full-length (as we currently understand the term) series.
That'd be cool too.
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: The Haunted Book (Jeremy Dyson)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 04:00 PM   #213
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

StCoop wrote: View Post
After the news that they're co-producing AAIT&S, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Series 8 is announced as a full-on BBC/BBC America co-production (rather than them chucking some money in every now and then as they do currently). That looks like being the only way of keeping up full-length (as we currently understand the term) series.
If so, we'd likely see the split season malarkey go away. From conversations I've had with people at BBC America, they don't like the split seasons because the run's too short and they don't have the marketing budget to hammer two premieres. If it came down to it, I suspect there would be a compromise between Wales and America on a single run of 10 episodes plus a Christmas special.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 04:35 PM   #214
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

Starkers wrote: View Post
I thought Americans were getting used to fewer episodes of things given the rise of The Walking Dead/Game of Thrones/ American Horror Story et al?

At the end of the day all I care about is that Who keeps being made, and whether that's 8 or 13 episodes I'll enjoy what there is.
Yea, my feelings as well. Sure, I'd love 13 or even 20+ episodes a year, but, wether it's 1 episode or 13, I'll happily consume whatever scraps they toss me.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 04:37 PM   #215
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

Starkers wrote: View Post
I thought Americans were getting used to fewer episodes of things given the rise of The Walking Dead/Game of Thrones/ American Horror Story et al?

At the end of the day all I care about is that Who keeps being made, and whether that's 8 or 13 episodes I'll enjoy what there is.
You could be correct about that. Perhaps it's the erraticness of it. I just know that I've heard grumblings over here.

And, I do agree, 8 episodes is far better than none!

I just wish the BBC was more straightforward with what their intentions are. I don't watch those U.S. shows with shorter runs that you mention but I don't think they have the erraticness in their scheduling?

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 04:42 PM   #216
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral
 
Kelthaz's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

Starkers wrote: View Post
I thought Americans were getting used to fewer episodes of things given the rise of The Walking Dead/Game of Thrones/ American Horror Story et al?

At the end of the day all I care about is that Who keeps being made, and whether that's 8 or 13 episodes I'll enjoy what there is.
Game of Thrones has 10 episodes that are 50-60 minutes long (not counting commercials) and they have a massive budget that makes each episode feel like an epic movie. Doctor Who's measly 8 low budget episodes really can't compare to that.
__________________
"Who are you?! And how did you get in here?!"

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 04:59 PM   #217
Konata Izumi
Commander
 
Konata Izumi's Avatar
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Game of Thrones has 10 episodes that are 50-60 minutes long (not counting commercials) and they have a massive budget that makes each episode feel like an epic movie. Doctor Who's measly 8 low budget episodes really can't compare to that.
Have you seen Series 7a?
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 05:06 PM   #218
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral
 
Kelthaz's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Game of Thrones has 10 episodes that are 50-60 minutes long (not counting commercials) and they have a massive budget that makes each episode feel like an epic movie. Doctor Who's measly 8 low budget episodes really can't compare to that.
Have you seen Series 7a?
Are you seriously trying to compare "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" with "Blackwater"? Sure, Doctor Who is a great show, but it's a silly adventure series. It's not epic. With Game of Thrones each episodes feels like an event which means you don't feel ripped off for only getting 10 episodes a season.
__________________
"Who are you?! And how did you get in here?!"

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 07:12 PM   #219
Konata Izumi
Commander
 
Konata Izumi's Avatar
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Are you seriously trying to compare "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" with "Blackwater"? Sure, Doctor Who is a great show, but it's a silly adventure series. It's not epic. With Game of Thrones each episodes feels like an event which means you don't feel ripped off for only getting 10 episodes a season.
Nope but I did see these silly epics called The Avengers and The Hobbit without feeling ripped off, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship is quite similar.

It's funny how much more Hollywood manages to spend on products not much better than ones at a fraction of the cost. Tv can't afford millions of orcs but a million daleks serves almost the same function.

Last edited by Konata Izumi; February 1 2013 at 07:23 PM.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 07:14 PM   #220
StCoop
Commodore
 
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
Nope but I did see the silly epics called The Avengers and The Hobbit, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship is quite similar.
In what way? The tiny cast, the limited action, the handful of sets?
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 07:26 PM   #221
Konata Izumi
Commander
 
Konata Izumi's Avatar
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

StCoop wrote: View Post
Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
Nope but I did see the silly epics called The Avengers and The Hobbit, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship is quite similar.
In what way? The tiny cast, the limited action, the handful of sets?
Ensemble cast, spectacular creatures, humour, a bit of sentiment. All top-notch quality.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 09:05 PM   #222
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
That might work fine for the UK, but it could stunt the momentum it has going here in the States. Not saying that should influence the BBC's decision, just pointing it out. People here are already complaining about the lack of episodes.
Honestly, if they stayed consistent with a new season every spring, beginning Easter weekend every year plus a Christmas special, that would satisfy me regardless of episode count. Basically, what they were doing from 2005-2011.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 09:45 PM   #223
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

^^ Yeah, I really think it's the lack of consistency that is the problem, not the number of episodes.
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 10:12 PM   #224
Konata Izumi
Commander
 
Konata Izumi's Avatar
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

^And that's exactly what they want everyone to think when the series length goes down.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 01:26 AM   #225
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

If they do go ahead with this idea of making it a BBC America co-production, I can only imagine the episode count going up compared to the half seasons of this year and last. BBC America could put money directly into the series rather than having to pretend to not play favorites like the BBC does, or even fund it (series or individual episodes/specials) entirely, should the need arise.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.