New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 29 2013, 03:05 PM   #181
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

Lance wrote: View Post
I understand the reasons why they feel the need to mix things up a bit. To try and keep things feeling fresh. But to be honest, if your priority is to save money because the BBC can't give you as much as they used to, then the last thing you should be doing is green-lighting new Cyberman costumes or new TARDIS sets. It's an incompetent management of resources that could be better used elsewhere, IMO.
I feel that the amount of money saved would, at best, give you one more episode. They could also save money by doing a bunch of bottle episodes, but that would probably lead to a decline in quality. I don't see that being ideal either. I think the goal is to have fewer episodes at a high standard. I don't think that's unreasonable. More is not always better.
Old January 29 2013, 03:27 PM   #182
Konata Izumi
Commander

Malformed wrote: View Post
For the record I am not enjoying the split seasons. I accept them, and I'm eagerly awaiting the spring, but in terms on my fanrush it's over too fast.
The split seasons give more freedom as I can't resist watching 11pm Saturday every weekend, so the timing doesn't get tiresome over time like it does with longer seasons.

Last edited by Konata Izumi; January 29 2013 at 03:43 PM.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 03:28 PM   #183
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Alidar, if that's the case, they should just be upfront about it. None of this, "you'll get more than ever before" hyperbole! I think that is what frustrates people. The contradictory "information" and hyperbole. Just tell us the truth.

Sure, some people won't like it, but they're already not liking it the way it is!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 03:34 PM   #184
Konata Izumi
Commander

I laud Moffat for spouting crap and making the programme make no sense. People don't see the truth, if exaggerated, in surrealism enough, and miss opportunities and get disappointed and stuff in their tunnel vision. And put way too much weight on the word of authorities. Of course they're nonsense.
Old January 29 2013, 04:18 PM   #185
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Alidar, if that's the case, they should just be upfront about it. None of this, "you'll get more than ever before" hyperbole! I think that is what frustrates people. The contradictory "information" and hyperbole. Just tell us the truth.

Sure, some people won't like it, but they're already not liking it the way it is!

Mr Awe
That depends on when they knew the money wouldn't be there. Certainly, he should be honest now if it's a budget constraint issue. There's no reason not to be candid.
Old January 29 2013, 04:53 PM   #186
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post

Mr Awe
That depends on when they knew the money wouldn't be there. Certainly, he should be honest now if it's a budget constraint issue. There's no reason not to be candid.
Sure there is. That's calling being insubordinate and burning one's bosses.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 05:02 PM   #187
diankra
Commodore

[Mods, please delete]

Last edited by diankra; January 29 2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Sorry, somehow posted in wrong thread!
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 05:05 PM   #188
MacLeod
Admiral

I'm predicting Easter Saturday for Season 7b to start airing.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 05:13 PM   #189
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Clairvoyant? Or did you figure that because that's what they're advertising (at least on BBC-A). New Who on March 30th (Saturday b4 Easter Sunday)
Old January 29 2013, 05:32 PM   #190
Lonemagpie
Writer

They already announced that last week...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 05:43 PM   #191
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
but they do seem to have embraced money saving where they can (filming mutilple epiosdes when they went to Spain/Croatia).
No, that's not embracing money saving. Moving your production to another country is the complete opposite of money saving. Embracing money saving would have been NOT going to Spain/Croatia to film some episodes.

Moffat needs to realize that Doctor Who doesn't have the budget of Game of Thrones. He needs to run the show like the low budget series it is. Babylon 5, the Stargates, and Farscape managed to do epic well with extremely limited budgets. Doctor Who can do it to.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 05:59 PM   #192
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
They already announced that last week...
He's just time traveled to let us know ...
Old January 29 2013, 06:15 PM   #193
Konata Izumi
Commander

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
He needs to run the show like the low budget series it is. Babylon 5, the Stargates, and Farscape managed to do epic well with extremely limited budgets.
Moffat doesn't decide the number of episodes nor the budget per episode; what should he spend the money on?

Does it have to look cheap?
Old January 29 2013, 07:57 PM   #194
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post

Mr Awe
He said that for quite some time. During that time, I'm sure the BBC would've known that its budget was shrinking. Perhaps there was a lack of communication within the BBC so Moffat and the higher ups had different knowledge.

I'm not blaming Moffat, more saying that the BBC as a whole should just come out and give a clear picture.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 08:50 PM   #195
Konata Izumi
Commander

I like The Power of Three and will watch it now. It feels like the Doctor's come to a visit even though he doesn't really do that much anymore.