Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 26 2013, 07:16 AM   #136
Snick27
Captain

Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

I have so many friends that like (some love) this show, but gave up watching it since its never on anymore.

They get busy watching other stuff or just gave up trying to figure out when its on. And even if its found to be on, they forgot what that season arc is or what the last episode they watched was about.

This show is making inroad in America so what do they do, split this season in half and show the last few starting in March and then no more till what Nov for 1 60 min episode and then wait till fall of 2014 to show maybe 5 episodes again.

Talk about killing your buzz and get forgotten.

Regarding the 50th.

Something like this you dont screw up. You have Baker, Davidson, Other Baker, McCoy, McGann nearing the end of their lives, and to piss this away for any reason just defeats the whole point of celibrating the 50th.

To just throw out a single 60 min episode and call that your 50th Anniversary is a slap in the face and showing no respect to this show.

Shows Big Finish cares more about this show than BBC does.
Old January 26 2013, 12:04 PM   #137
MNM
Captain

Snick27 wrote: View Post
Something like this you dont screw up. You have Baker, Davidson, Other Baker, McCoy, McGann nearing the end of their lives, and to piss this away for any reason just defeats the whole point of celibrating the 50th.
While I agree with quite a lot of what you have said, I dont think Paul McGann is "nearing the end of his life" be being only a couple of years past 50!
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 01:53 PM   #138
The Haunting
Admiral

It was James Bond's 50th last year. We got a film...

"God! Whose hand was I holding?"
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 02:12 PM   #139
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Well, what else could you do with James Bond? Besides, we got a longer than usual film, fwiw.
Old January 26 2013, 02:14 PM   #140
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

For a film franchise, that would be expected. It is a whole other animal.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 03:36 PM   #141
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Well, what else could you do with James Bond? Besides, we got a longer than usual film, fwiw.
Though, OT, a shitty film. A gorgeous looking but shitty film.

It's like that hot chick... who is awful human being. She's HOT, but she kicks dogs.

Anyway... carry on with the pile up.
Old January 26 2013, 04:17 PM   #142
Alidar Jarok

Eh, it's a matter of opinion. The overall opinion has been positive (I would argue that it wasn't a great movie, but was certainly a good movie and a comparison between Rotten Tomatoes and MetaCritic would agree with me there).
Old January 26 2013, 04:23 PM   #143
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Eh, it's a matter of opinion. The overall opinion has been positive (I would argue that it wasn't a great movie, but was certainly a good movie and a comparison between Rotten Tomatoes and MetaCritic would agree with me there).
Oh, I know. I know I'm in the minority on this one. I just have NO idea why people love it so much. Other than it LOOKS fantastic... visually, it's great.

That's why I go with the hot girl analogy... that's the only way I can understand why people seem to love Skyfall.
Old January 26 2013, 04:59 PM   #144
Alidar Jarok

That's certainly not my reason. In fact, it gets quite dark and dingy about half of the way through when they go to Scotland, so beauty isn't really the answer. But we're quite a bit off topic, so I'll leave this conversation there.
Old January 26 2013, 06:17 PM   #145
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

To just throw out a single 60 min episode and call that your 50th Anniversary is a slap in the face and showing no respect to this show.
I agree with this. Though, I want to add that I don't think there are any "bad guys" in this story. I think the BBC cares and Moffat definitely cares.

It appears to be a combination of budgetary problems and mismanagement. They can at least fix the mismanagement and get a regular production going at whatever rate they can afford. Whether the BBC has the leadership to actually do this, I don't know!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 11:15 PM   #146
Snick27
Captain

Mr Awe wrote: View Post

I agree with this. Though, I want to add that I don't think there are any "bad guys" in this story. I think the BBC cares and Moffat definitely cares.

It appears to be a combination of budgetary problems and mismanagement. They can at least fix the mismanagement and get a regular production going at whatever rate they can afford. Whether the BBC has the leadership to actually do this, I don't know!

Mr Awe
They had years to plan for this and save up some money. So if this is something they really wanted to do, they could of made it happen.

Doctor Who feels like a Stepchild to the BBC.
Old January 26 2013, 11:28 PM   #147
Lance
Commodore

The trouble is obviously that Steven Moffat is incompetent. Russell "hooray for me!" Davies would have had fifty double-length episodes written and sent off in the same amount of time that it seems to take Moffat to write a single Christmas special.

Seriously, there have been rumblings about this for a while. Moffat has only managed to complete one full season in all the time he's been show-runner (Series Five, his first), and only then because he had the lead-in from Davies doing the Tennant specials. Ever since then Moffat has become notorious for missing his deadlines. The split of Series 6 into two halves was allegedly because he'd spread himself too thinly across both Doctor Who and Sherlock, but it seems like he just can't get it together now.

To be honest, I think they'd be better off simply admitting that Doctor Who only has six episodes each series from now on. None of this 'Series "x" Part "x"!' business.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 12:07 AM   #148
MacLeod
Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
For a film franchise, that would be expected. It is a whole other animal.
Well it must have done something right.

1.>It's the most succesdul film ever at the British Box Office topping Avatar

2.>It was one of last years most succesful film.

As for DW, unless the Beeb is trying to keep things under wrap, a special and a docu-drama on the making of it seem a little light for such a milestone.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 02:02 AM   #149
diankra
Commodore

What would be amusing if the incoming director general (who's starting in the spring, to replace the one who had to resign after 57 days back in October) got hit by a left-field question about Doctor Who's 50th anniversary when the Commons Select Committee on Culture and Media talk to him as he takes up the job.
Doubt they will though... though my MP is chair of that committee, so I do almost wonder if I ought to ask him to try. But compared with interrogating Murdoch about Hackgate, it'd seem a bit trivial.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 02:17 AM   #150
Konata Izumi
Commander

Lance wrote: View Post
The split of Series 6 into two halves was allegedly because he'd spread himself too thinly across both Doctor Who and Sherlock, but it seems like he just can't get it together now.
That is said sometimes, but wasn't Series 6 shot on normal schedule, and only aired later? So TD,T,WDAN,KL,FYAIF,Lp would have been the first Moffat Who episode made later than usual (cause that one was even if it aired on time).

To be honest, I think they'd be better off simply admitting that Doctor Who only has six episodes each series from now on. None of this 'Series "x" Part "x"!' business.
I don't think as little as half will become the norm but maybe eight like this year.

The trouble is obviously that Steven Moffat is incompetent.
They just want to save some money by (sort of) inconspicuously shortening the seasons a bit.

Last edited by Konata Izumi; January 27 2013 at 02:31 AM.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote