Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old September 19 2013, 02:18 PM   #121
KaraBear
Captain

Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

R. Star wrote: View Post
KaraBear wrote: View Post
IzzyatWarp9 wrote: View Post

Ermegherd treason
I know everybody loves her but she irritated me. She was so good at everything, they guys all lusted after her, blech
I always thought Jadzia was overrated too. Terry Farrel is definitely cute, but the character's personality was just so... random. There were like three different versions of her and none of them merged together well. The aloof smart person who can figure out anything, the party girl who gets drunk and plays tongo with Quark, and the avenging valkyrie who fights with and hangs out with Klingons.

And chalking that off to the symbiont is just a cop out. Jadzia herself said in Playing God when she was training that Trill Initiate that while the symbiont influences them, the host is supposed to be disciplined enough to define themselves over it.
Did we agree on something?

KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 02:53 PM   #122
dub
Fleet Captain

Oh no...is bad taste catching?
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 07:22 PM   #123
R. Star
Rear Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post

I know everybody loves her but she irritated me. She was so good at everything, they guys all lusted after her, blech
I always thought Jadzia was overrated too. Terry Farrel is definitely cute, but the character's personality was just so... random. There were like three different versions of her and none of them merged together well. The aloof smart person who can figure out anything, the party girl who gets drunk and plays tongo with Quark, and the avenging valkyrie who fights with and hangs out with Klingons.

And chalking that off to the symbiont is just a cop out. Jadzia herself said in Playing God when she was training that Trill Initiate that while the symbiont influences them, the host is supposed to be disciplined enough to define themselves over it.
Did we agree on something?

We've been agreeing a lot lately. This is strange.
Old September 20 2013, 04:50 PM   #124
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Garak put her in her place...

GARAK: Oh, I'm sure you would. You'd like nothing more than to pry into my personal affairs. Well, I'm not interested in dissecting my childhood. I only want to save my people from the Dominion. I don't need someone to walk in here and hold my hand. I want someone to help me get back to work. And you, my dear, aren't up to this task. I mean, look at you. You're pathetic. A confused child trying to live up to a legacy left by her predecessors. You're not worthy of the name Dax. I knew Jadzia. She was vital, alive. She owned herself. And you? You don't even know who you are. How dare you presume to help me? You can't even help yourself. Now get out of here before I say something unkind.
saaaaaaaaaaLAP!!!
Old September 20 2013, 04:55 PM   #125
KaraBear
Captain

Yanks wrote: View Post

GARAK: Oh, I'm sure you would. You'd like nothing more than to pry into my personal affairs. Well, I'm not interested in dissecting my childhood. I only want to save my people from the Dominion. I don't need someone to walk in here and hold my hand. I want someone to help me get back to work. And you, my dear, aren't up to this task. I mean, look at you. You're pathetic. A confused child trying to live up to a legacy left by her predecessors. You're not worthy of the name Dax. I knew Jadzia. She was vital, alive. She owned herself. And you? You don't even know who you are. How dare you presume to help me? You can't even help yourself. Now get out of here before I say something unkind.

saaaaaaaaaaLAP!!!
Jadzia was prepared to deal with being joined and everything that comes with it, she chose that path and spent her whole life training for it. Ezri had no training, didn't know what to expect, and just had this slug shoved into her. It's amazing she didn't go crazy trying to sort out all the memories
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 05:03 PM   #126
Yanks
Fleet Captain

As for Ezri. I intially HATED her. I was very fond of Jadzia, I was pissed the schwacked her, I was pissed that frellin Dukat schwacked her, and that rage went right to Ezri.

As Archer says, "Time heals all wounds, but absence makes the heart grow fonder. I guess it's a little tricky. Emotions have a way of contradicting themselves."

So I don't harbor such ill feelings for her anymore. I actually think Nicole is quite a talented actress.

Love her eyes...
Old September 20 2013, 05:05 PM   #127
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Yanks wrote: View Post

saaaaaaaaaaLAP!!!
Jadzia was prepared to deal with being joined and everything that comes with it, she chose that path and spent her whole life training for it. Ezri had no training, didn't know what to expect, and just had this slug shoved into her. It's amazing she didn't go crazy trying to sort out all the memories
True, but that does not negate the epic Garakness of that line.
Old September 20 2013, 05:30 PM   #128
E-DUB
Captain

I liked Jadzia and was sorry to see her replaced by Ezri who never actually grew on me as a character. But I never actually found her annoying. (BTW, I loved Nicole in Dead Zone.)

I found Nog really annoying at first but as the character matured and found his own way that changed.

Rom, on the other hand, never seemed to change even as he bounced from bar lackey to engineer to Nagus.

Leeta had her annoying moments, especially in pout mode, but she did have her positive "attributes" as well.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 04:16 PM   #129
crazyfingers
Cadet

So does anyone know why they killed off Jadzia Dax in the first place? Did the actress want off? Was it management? I thought she was a great character.

Maybe it's been explained but I've done some forum searches and can't find that answer.
crazyfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 05:06 PM   #130
Yanks
Fleet Captain

crazyfingers wrote: View Post
So does anyone know why they killed off Jadzia Dax in the first place? Did the actress want off? Was it management? I thought she was a great character.

Maybe it's been explained but I've done some forum searches and can't find that answer.
Terry decided to leave. She went to be a part of Becker.
Old September 26 2013, 05:15 PM   #131
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Terry Farrell was offered a contract renewal that gave a pittance of a salary increase. Thereafter, negotiations stalled until Rick Berman was entrenched and Terry Farrell was resigned to leaving the show. There are some rumors that Behr pushed at the last minute to keep Farrell, but Berman wouldn't budge.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 05:16 PM   #132
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I'd guess she wanted the security of a long term contract while her stock was high as opposed to a one year extension. She didn't do much after Becker though.
Old September 30 2013, 12:43 AM   #133
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

I liked Ezri. Would have been just as well if she didn't have the Dax symbiont but the writers handled it pretty well.

Honestly, while I liked Jadzia, the character never quite came alive for me. She was fun, and clever, but she didn't really have an arc nor much of a context. When DS9 began, I adored what looked like an interesting dynamic beginning--a wise old man, a "Merlin" if you will, within an attractive young woman. But she never fulfilled that role, not really. Nor did she really "do" much other than her job--at least until she started hooking up with Worf. I liked that storyline very much.

That Garak put Ezri down was a great bit of drama, though. It only worked because Ezri was indeed a real character, someone with those kinds of fears.
David.Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 12:50 PM   #134
FreedPhotons
Ensign

I really liked Jadzia, and was not only sorry to see her die but just COULDN'T STAND Ezri Dax. The "i'm bubbly and innocent and sweet and cute but deep inside I hurt" act go so old, so fast. As far as I'm concerned she's the ultimate Mary-Sue.

She's one of the reasons I hated season 7 (and season 7 is one of the reasons I don't have that much respect for DS9 anymore).
FreedPhotons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 12:56 PM   #135
Tosk
Rear Admiral

FreedPhotons wrote: View Post
The "i'm bubbly and innocent and sweet and cute but deep inside I hurt" act go so old, so fast. As far as I'm concerned she's the ultimate Mary-Sue.
What do those things have to do with being a Mary Sue? The term seems to be thrown around now as lazy shorthand for complaining about any female character.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote