Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 4 2013, 11:16 AM   #331
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Re: Classic Who on BBC America

Mr Light wrote: View Post
It's particularly annoying if you haven't seen the episode beforehand, because they proceed to spoil the entire story and anything notable in it immediately before you see the damn thing.
Just like the theatrical TNG specials do right before you see the presentation of the remastered episodes...
Old September 4 2013, 01:29 PM   #332
CmdrAJD
Commodore

View CmdrAJD's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to CmdrAJD

I was disappointed by this special. As others have said, it was way too much of a recap of what we were about to see. I had hoped that they would use the special as an opportunity to talk more about what kept Who going during the gap between 1989-2005 and McGann's audio work. Oh well.

I guessing the 9th Doctor special won't have Eccleston or Piper either. Do we know yet what episode(s) they're planning to show? I'm guessing it will be The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances 2-parter.

http://www.star-traks.com
CmdrAJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 10:40 PM   #333
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Christopher wrote: View Post
The retrospective was frustrating this time, because every clip they showed was something we'd be seeing again within a couple of hours, so it was all pretty repetitive. It would've been nice if they'd talked more about the behind-the-scenes stuff or the subsequent audios and novels, some of the sort of things that the DVD features on the McGann movie go into. But these specials are just too superficial for that.
Yeah. Most BBC America specials bug me for that reason. The last couple years before this they did all those themed specials that basically consisted of various "celebrities" (although I did always appreciate the presence of Pete from 30 Rock) explaining exactly what happened in various new series episodes to people who hadn't seen them. This would have made sense back in the pre-DVD era. But now, early episodes of TV shows are pretty readily accessible for noobs. I thought those specials would have been much more useful if they'd been chock full of classic series info to help give new viewers a general grounding in Doctor Who history, especially for those that might not have the patience to wade through 26 years of admittedly leisurely paced television.
Old September 7 2013, 02:51 PM   #334
shivkala
Rear Admiral

I watched the whole thing by myself this weekend, but I wanted to show my 9 year old the movie. When I re-watched it with him, I skipped straight to the movie. He asked me why and I explained that it would just ruin the movie.

I wasn't expecting much from the special. Beyond not having McGann, I was annoyed that they ignored the "half-human" controversy and the radio dramas. I would really have loved to hear Moffat discuss the "half-human" bit and his take on it. Or, even better, Russell T. Davies, since he was the one who wrote the whole "Human/Time Lord metacrisis" business, which in my and many a fan's mind was his way of discrediting the possibility of a half-human/half-Time Lord. Plus, he's said the woman in "The End of Time" was supposed to be the Doctor's mother, making it seem impossible she could be the Doctor's human relative.

There's also the "Eye of Harmony" tie-into that. The Eye was a part of both "Hide" and "Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS" this past season. So, what was the whole bit about "Chang can open it because he's human and it's attuned to the half-human part of the Doctor."

Fans have discussed, debated, argued, etc. about this for close to 20 years, it would have been nice to devote a few minutes to it being answered "officially."

It also would have been nice to mention that the 8th Doctor's adventures continued, with McGann, in the audio dramas.

This was the special I was most looking forward to. It was nice learning about the previous Doctors, who I knew about mostly from Wikipedia and various websites, clips on sites like YouTube, but as I said previously, this was my first exposure to Doctor Who.

I'm not expecting the upcoming specials to mention anything we haven't heard before. I'd agree that we most likely won't see Eccelston. Piper, maybe, but not likely. I'm wondering if we'll even see RTD, at this point. We'll probably get John Barrowman (especially if it is "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" because Moffat wrote it and it introduced Captain Jack), Noel Clarke, and possibly Tennant.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 03:43 PM   #335
Christopher
Writer

It always surprises me that DW fans are so concerned about the continuity issues raised by the movie, as if the prior quarter-century's worth of DW hadn't been loaded with massive inconsistencies already.

Anyway, I noticed that just a few moments before the Doctor's "half-human on my mother's side" line, there was the following exchange:

GRACE: And why don't you have the ability to transform yourself into another species, like the--
DOCTOR: Well, I do, but only when I die.

So maybe he wasn't half-human before, but became half-human when he regenerated.

Then again, he was going to confide a secret in Grace, something he didn't want her to tell anyone -- so why would he then go and blab it to a complete stranger? That suggests that the "half-human on my mother's side" line wasn't the real secret, that it was just a joke. Granted, we know from the Eye of Harmony that the new Doctor had a human retinal structure or whatever, but perhaps this wasn't because he had a human mother.

So if he hadn't been half-human all along, why would the Eye have responded only to a human? Well, think about it. What's the Seventh Doctor known for? Being the master manipulator, always having his stratagems plotted out ten moves ahead. Maybe he programmed the Eye to respond only to humans as a security measure, and somehow arranged to hack his own biology so that his next regeneration would incorporate human attributes. Or something like that.

I'm not surprised the special didn't address the controversy, though. These are meant to be lightweight introductory pieces for the uninitiated, and they probably don't want to scare people off with controversy.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 06:11 PM   #336
Mr Light
Admiral

My interpretation of the movie was that he became half-human when he regenerated in San Francisco, not beforehand.

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 07:02 PM   #337
shivkala
Rear Admiral

That does make sense and it is a theory I've heard before. It's just one of the reasons I wish we got more Eighth Doctor!
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 09:09 PM   #338
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Fans would totally hate it if I ever became Doctor Who's showrunner. I would totally throw in all kinds of references to emphasize the canonicity of the more controversial elements of the 1996 movie!

shivkala wrote: View Post
I'm not expecting the upcoming specials to mention anything we haven't heard before. I'd agree that we most likely won't see Eccelston. Piper, maybe, but not likely. I'm wondering if we'll even see RTD, at this point. We'll probably get John Barrowman (especially if it is "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" because Moffat wrote it and it introduced Captain Jack), Noel Clarke, and possibly Tennant.
Personally, I'd love to hear some of Tennant's thoughts on his predecessor.
Old September 13 2013, 10:27 PM   #339
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Finally getting around to finishing my recording of the TV movie. I've had my TV for quite a while now and it has this mode to force the picture to be 4:3. I've never understood the purpose of that but they must have foreseen that BBC America would broadcast classic Who as-is in widescreen.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 10:18 PM   #340
Christopher
Writer

The Ninth Doctor special is tonight. Do we know which 2-parter it'll be yet? I'd assume "The Empty Child"/'The Doctor Dances."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 11:57 PM   #341
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Its gonna be the series 1 finale - thats right, the Bad Wolf two-parter.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 11:59 PM   #342
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I'm anticipating that the retrospective for the Ninth is going to be as lame as the others. Prob no Eccleston, Piper or RTD and just Moffat and maybe Tennant telling us how brilliant it was.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 12:03 AM   #343
Procutus
Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I'm anticipating that the retrospective for the Ninth is going to be as lame as the others. Prob no Eccleston, Piper or RTD and just Moffat and maybe Tennant telling us how brilliant it was.

Sad, but likely to be true, although I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Billie on hand. Eccleston, a no-show to be sure, which is a shame since everyone since Tom has been onhand, with the exception of McGann.

Pleased about the choice of eps, I haven't seen the Bad Wolf finale in quite some time.
Old September 30 2013, 01:11 AM   #344
Procutus
Admiral

Funny, I had forgotten to some degree just how different Eccleston played the Doctor from the previous eight. The extreme guilt that the Moff is talking about seems to fit in very nicely with what we think we know about John Hurt's Doctor. It's a damn shame that we'll never get to see that regeneration scene, though I'm sure it's going to be alluded to in the 50th Special.
Old September 30 2013, 01:14 AM   #345
Procutus
Admiral

Cool. First promo I've seen for the November 23 special.