Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 21 2013, 11:16 PM   #16
Unwrapped
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unwrapped
Re: Delivery companies

Do you have other shipping options? I'd say go with what you're most comfortable with. Typically when I buy stuff online, it often goes through UPS or FedEx. I only had one instance where I'd ordered a small item from Amazon Marketplace and they apparently mailed it without the item (oops ). I sent a polite email to the seller since I'd ordered stuff from them before without issue, and I figured it was a simple goof. It turned out to be exactly that, and we were easily able to get the item shipped properly with no extra charge once I showed them a pic of the shipping slip. Their customer service was quite good and I wouldn't mind doing business again in the future.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unwrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 04:29 AM   #17
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Amazon unfortunately doesn't seem to offer the option of choosing one's shipping company. But I'm pleased to say that my package showed up today, one day early. The young man who delivered it was in an unmarked white van and looked like a community college student. So I feel a bit more relaxed.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 07:07 AM   #18
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

I love our FedEx man. [Being in a rural area, we have the same delivery man... except when he's on vacation.] We know him so well, he leaves the package inside the front door, if it is not locked. Otherwise, he wraps it in plastic or saves it for the next day.

Our UPS guy in another story entirely! He'll toss it on the front porch, whether we are home or not. Hopefully, that is not on a rainy day. If it is, the package will be soaked. This is important because the packages are medical supplies which cannot get wet [incontinence pads, etc.]
Old January 22 2013, 08:20 AM   #19
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

fucking UPS guy, our house has a wall around it, 3 feet high adobe with another 3 feet of spiked iron in the front and 6 foot high around the rest, the door bell by the front gate doesn't work, so we keep a sign up saying to go around to the side, where there is a door bell that does work. The side gate is 6 foot high iron bar and is the driveway exit, at about 7pm I'm leaving the house and what do i see several feet inside my gate? 4 UPS boxes containing PLC equipment THROWN OVER THE GATE. Fucker didn't even ring the bell.
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 02:57 PM   #20
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ Yeah, don't even get me started on UPS or FedEx residential drivers. Not one decent experience, just varying degrees of crap.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 10:11 PM   #21
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I've read a lot of complaints from people living in apartments, gated communities and the like dealing with UPS, USPS, Fed Ex and OnTrac. Is it because the delivery people are in such a rush, they're less careful?
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 10:25 PM   #22
J.T.B.
Commodore

I've also had numerous deliveries by OnTrac and never a problem. When I've seen them they have been in standard white Ford/Chevy cargo vans rather than trucks like FedEx or UPS.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 10:53 PM   #23
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
I've read a lot of complaints from people living in apartments, gated communities and the like dealing with UPS, USPS, Fed Ex and OnTrac. Is it because the delivery people are in such a rush, they're less careful?
I would think the same could be true for normal residential deliveries as well.

I've lived in apartments, so can't say for sure.

I had two different FedEx drivers delivering packages on the same day.

One driver must have gotten let in by someone else & left the package outside my apartment door. No knock, no ringing of the front door bell, nothing.

The other driver left the package in the foyer of the building. No ringing of the doorbell. The tracking even said it was left in the foyer.

I was home that day, but still the package left in the foyer was stolen (no surprise). The seller got replacement items out pretty quick.

UPS & FedEx regularly leave packages in the hallways where I live now and the office is in my building. No excuse to leave anything in the hallway.

So yeah, if there's a choice, I always go for the seller promising USPS, even if it's a couple dollars more.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 05:09 AM   #24
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
[letter carrier's hat on] Yes, that is it. Or the shipper has released the item for release without the receiver being present. A third reason would be that most in the community have asked the delivery person to leave stuff so by default unless a signature is required he leaves everything in that community to save time.

The general rule is to leave nothing yet a year ago our office got overloaded and the local postmaster ordered us to leave everything under $200 insured, signature required limit. A new supervisor below her tried to issue discipline for breaking the general rule only to find out a higher level boss had issued conflicting orders. And the local LAPD lead officer was asking questions about the increase in burglaries in our zone.