Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 10 2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
2012 Oscar Nominations

Link

1. Best Picture: "Amour," ''Argo," ''Beasts of the Southern Wild," ''Django Unchained," ''Les Miserables," ''Life of Pi," ''Lincoln," ''Silver Linings Playbook," ''Zero Dark Thirty."

2. Actor: Bradley Cooper, "Silver Linings Playbook"; Daniel Day-Lewis, "Lincoln"; Hugh Jackman, "Les Miserables"; Joaquin Phoenix, "The Master"; Denzel Washington, "Flight."

3. Actress: Jessica Chastain, "Zero Dark Thirty"; Jennifer Lawrence, "Silver Linings Playbook"; Emmanuelle Riva, "Amour"; Quvenzhane Wallis, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"; Naomi Watts, "The Impossible."

4. Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin, "Argo"; Robert De Niro, "Silver Linings Playbook"; Philip Seymour Hoffman, "The Master"; Tommy Lee Jones, "Lincoln"; Christoph Waltz, "Django Unchained."

5. Supporting Actress: Amy Adams, "The Master"; Sally Field, "Lincoln"; Anne Hathaway, "Les Miserables"; Helen Hunt, "The Sessions"; Jacki Weaver, "Silver Linings Playbook."

6. Directing: Michael Haneke, "Amour"; Benh Zeitlin, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"; Ang Lee, "Life of Pi"; Steven Spielberg, "Lincoln"; David O. Russell, "Silver Linings Playbook."

7. Foreign Language Film: "Amour," Austria; "Kon-Tiki," Norway; "No," Chile; "A Royal Affair," Denmark; "War Witch," Canada.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Chris Terrio, "Argo"; Lucy Alibar and Benh Zeitlin, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"; David Magee, "Life of Pi"; Tony Kushner, "Lincoln"; David O. Russell, "Silver Linings Playbook."

9. Original Screenplay: Michael Haneke, "Amour"; Quentin Tarantino, "Django Unchained"; John Gatins, "Flight"; Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola, "Moonrise Kingdom"; Mark Boal, "Zero Dark Thirty."

10. Animated Feature Film: "Brave"; "Frankenweenie"; "ParaNorman"; "The Pirates! Band of Misfits"; "Wreck-It Ralph."

11. Production Design: "Anna Karenina," ''The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," ''Les Miserables," ''Life of Pi," ''Lincoln."

12. Cinematography: "Anna Karenina," ''Django Unchained," ''Life of Pi," ''Lincoln," ''Skyfall."

13. Sound Mixing: "Argo," ''Les Miserables," ''Life of Pi," ''Lincoln," ''Skyfall."

14. Sound Editing: "Argo," ''Django Unchained," ''Life of Pi," ''Skyfall," ''Zero Dark Thirty."

15. Original Score: "Anna Karenina," Dario Marianelli; "Argo," Alexandre Desplat; "Life of Pi," Mychael Danna; "Lincoln," John Williams; "Skyfall," Thomas Newman.

16. Original Song: "Before My Time" from "Chasing Ice," J. Ralph; "Everybody Needs a Best Friend" from "Ted," Walter Murphy and Seth MacFarlane; "Pi's Lullaby" from "Life of Pi," Mychael Danna and Bombay Jayashri; "Skyfall" from "Skyfall," Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth; "Suddenly" from "Les Miserables," Claude-Michel Schonberg, Herbert Kretzmer and Alain Boublil.

17. Costume: "Anna Karenina," ''Les Miserables," ''Lincoln," ''Mirror Mirror," ''Snow White and the Huntsman."

18. Documentary Feature: "5 Broken Cameras," ''The Gatekeepers," ''How to Survive a Plague," ''The Invisible War," ''Searching for Sugar Man."

19. Documentary (short subject): "Inocente," ''Kings Point," ''Mondays at Racine," ''Open Heart," ''Redemption."

20. Film Editing: "Argo," ''Life of Pi," ''Lincoln," ''Silver Linings Playbook," ''Zero Dark Thirty."

21. Makeup and Hairstyling: "Hitchcock," ''The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," ''Les Miserables."
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 03:24 PM   #2
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: 2012 Oscar Nominations

Unlike the last few years, I've actually seen most of the nominees in the major categories.

Zero Dark Thirty opens this weekend. I was plannin' to see it, anyway...
Old January 10 2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I find it telling that Cloud Atlas was not considered for anything.

Hell, not even makeup!
Old January 10 2013, 05:58 PM   #4
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Really surprised Affleck and Bigelow didn't get nominated for Director. I really do wonder if this is the year we might actually see a best picture winner be different than Best Director. When was the last time that happened?

I've seen 5 of the 9 movies nominated for best picture. The 4 I haven't seen are: Beasts of the Southern Wild (That was a surprise, I thought Moonrise Kingdom would have gotten this slot), Zero Dark Thirty (Which I really want to see), Life of Pi, and Amour (Which I've heard nothing about). Hopefully I'll be able to see these films before the ceremony, even though Amour might be hard to track down.

Last edited by SJSharksfan39; January 10 2013 at 06:12 PM.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 06:27 PM   #5
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

How the hell did Cloud Atlas not get a makeup nod?

I've seen seven of the best picture nominees. In my mind, Les Mis, Beasts of the Southern Wild, and Life of Pi have no right to be there. Of their list, Django is my easy choice, though it will rank only fifth on my best movies of the year.
Old January 10 2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Daniel Day-Lewis easily wins.
I'm surprised Hitchcock didn't get any acting nominations.
I'm begging to think that Ben Affleck has done something to piss voters off.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 07:10 PM   #7
lurok
Commodore

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
I'm beginning to think that Ben Affleck has done something to piss voters off.
Pearl Harbor, Gigli...

Lincoln not opened here yet but from clips seen Day-Lewis looks like gives another solid performance.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I'm pretty happy with the list this year. Happy to see Life of Pi get 11 nominations. Pretty good for a movie that hardly got talked about.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 08:45 PM   #9
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Life of Pi bombed at the box office, so we never got a chance to see it. any chance that these nominations might have the studio re-release the film?
Old January 10 2013, 09:12 PM   #10
Aragorn
Admiral

Best Animated Feature should not have five nominations when there are never five animated films in a year that blow you away like Wall-E or The Lion King. Limit it to three like the makeup category.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 09:15 PM   #11
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Life of Pi bombed at the box office, so we never got a chance to see it. any chance that these nominations might have the studio re-release the film?
Most likely. Nominations usually spark a brief re-release to capitalize on the publicity.

I really liked Life of Pi; it's very different from the usual fare.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 09:16 PM   #12
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
It made almost $100 million, though not quite its budget -- but it was a huge hit overseas. Like, seriously, it might hit $500 million worldwide.

I doubt they'd rerelease it at his juncture.

The directing branch certainly went its own way this year. With Affleck, Bigelow, and Hooper left out, Lincoln has a pretty clean shot at the win.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 10:19 PM   #13
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Life of Pi was still playin' where I work 'til last week...but it was down to one show a day.
Old January 10 2013, 10:31 PM   #14
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

auntiehill wrote: View Post
I really liked Life of Pi; it's very different from the usual fare.

Yeah, it was the best movie nobody seemed to be talking about. There was practically no buzz for it. But the fact that it has 11 when Lincoln has 12 is a pretty big deal.

Last edited by Owain Taggart; January 10 2013 at 10:51 PM.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 10:55 PM   #15
foxhot
Fleet Captain

I didn't expect DJANGO UNCHAINED to make the Best Picture cut, let alone Kathryn Bigelow not make the five Best Directors. But I'm seeing ZERO DARK THIRTY on Saturday.....

.....and will post my alternate film nominations the following day in a separate thread. Most of the 14 key categories will have ten contenders each. I call it the 98th annual Ronalds because my alternates go back to 1915. It's a great way to rectify the countless injustices of the real Academy awards.....not nominating Alan Rickman for DIE HARD, to name just one example.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote