MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 19 2013, 09:24 PM   #151
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: COUNTDOWN TO DARKNESS 5-page preview

King Daniel wrote: View Post
YES. daughter is good. He looked old enough to me in TOS to have one.
But he'd be six or seven years younger in 2258/59.
Old February 19 2013, 09:51 PM   #152
bullethead
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
My solution: Mudd knocked up some girl when he was really young and ran away. The girl is hunting down her father and attempting to get all the child support money her mom was owed
Old February 19 2013, 10:01 PM   #153
Franklin
Rear Admiral

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Oh shi-

If that could be
someone has a lot of explaining to do to this woman -- .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1EbxYKh_4
Old February 19 2013, 10:04 PM   #154
BillJ
Admiral

bullethead wrote: View Post
My solution: Mudd knocked up some girl when he was really young and ran away. The girl is hunting down her father and attempting to get all the child support money her mom was owed
He'd have to be really young.
Old February 20 2013, 12:28 AM   #155
Christopher
Writer

If Harry was the same age as Roger C. Carmel, he would've been born in 2232, just a year before Kirk. That would be a bit young to have an adult daughter. However, that would've made him only 34 in "Mudd's Women," and he always struck me as being at least a decade older than that.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 12:38 AM   #156
Lord Garth, FOI
Lieutenant Commander

What.

The.

Fuck??
Likely his daughter, wife or half-sister. Not sure he was old enough to have an adult daughter?

Who wants to bet Greg Grunberg shows up as Harry in the movie?

More likely the creators are telling the hard core F U it's always been a reboot
Lord Garth, FOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 12:50 AM   #157
Christopher
Writer

^"The creators" are not responsible for the contents of the comic. One of them, Roberto Orci, has approval over its storylines, but it's unclear just how closely he works with the comic's writers. And the rest of the filmmakers are busy actually, y'know, making the film. The comics are not actually canonical, as Orci has told us dozens of times.

Old February 20 2013, 12:58 AM   #158
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Bajoran name system ran a little differently didn't it? Nerys Kira is how we'd present her forename and surname but there were cultural reasons for the switch. Am I remembering this right?

I just think the Abramsverse wants to play fast and loose with some of established pieces. Hoping that splintering off at Kirk's 2233 birth would be enough to do it with 100% freedom, but some of the reasoning has to worked hard to try and fit it in with what their nature is, in any universe... even a twisted evil one like the Mirror one. Sooner or later, I'm beginning to think they're going to undermine their own rule about everything up until the start of the film, being the Prime universe.

It comes across as somebody having thought "Wouldn't it be cool if Mudd had been a female Bajoran?" because the vocal Niners will get a kick out of that. Not a whole lot of thinking beyond that as far as I can see. I very much hope I'm proved wrong and there are well-versed fans behind this with an answer for everything.

Anyway what happened to Mudd's nagging other half? The one he had a robot version made of once? Stellaaaaaaaaaa!

Last edited by ChristopherPike; February 20 2013 at 01:16 AM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 12:59 AM   #159
BillJ
Admiral

Lord Garth, FOI wrote: View Post
More likely the creators are telling the hard core F U it's always been a reboot
Doubtful. I fully expect there will be an explanation on why Mudd went from male human to female bajoran. Possible she's a sibling, ex-wife or daughter.
Old February 20 2013, 01:38 AM   #160
The Wormhole
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^"The creators" are not responsible for the contents of the comic. One of them, Roberto Orci, has approval over its storylines, but it's unclear just how closely he works with the comic's writers.
Actually, isn't the story for Countdown to Darkness co-developed by Orci? The credits page of issue 1 gives him a Story credit as opposed to the Creative Consultant credit he has in the Ongoing series.
Old February 20 2013, 01:40 AM   #161
Pauln6
Commodore

Maybe she was one of Mudd's women that he married himself?

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 02:43 AM   #162
Christopher
Writer

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Actually, isn't the story for Countdown to Darkness co-developed by Orci? The credits page of issue 1 gives him a Story credit as opposed to the Creative Consultant credit he has in the Ongoing series.
If you say so. But he's still just one member of the films' creative team, so assuming that the comics are the work of the exact same creative brain trust as the films is incorrect.

Also, a "story" credit can refer to anything from a panel-by-panel breakdown of the entire issue sans dialogue to merely a rough summary of the basic premise. So we don't know which parts of this story actually come from Orci and which come from Mike Johnson.

Old February 20 2013, 04:04 AM   #163
Ketrick
Lieutenant Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
The comics are not actually canonical, as Orci has told us dozens of times.
True, but it's not quite that simple. First, he's made it clear that the reason they're not canonical is simply because the Supreme Court doesn't feel it's right to change the current rule that only what's on film is canon, not that the decision has anything to do with whether or not they believe the comics are canon worthy. Also, he's made it clear that a future court may decide they are canon and he also stated that he wouldn't mind if Countdown were adapted into an animated dtv thus making it canon. Second, he stated in the recent startrek.com interview that while they aren't canon, the comics are as close you can get to being canon without being filmed which IMO makes them at least semi-canonical.
Ketrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 04:35 AM   #164
Christopher
Writer

^Yeah, and the Star Wars novels were "canonical" until new screen productions started contradicting them, and now we hear that Episode VII will probably disregard the EU altogether. Canon is not some magical invocation that fans can rely on as an absolute standard of truth. It's all just made up anyway and the people making it up can change their minds about anything. Even onscreen canon can contradict itself all the time. So Chekov wasn't on the show in the first season? Who cares? We'll say Khan knew him anyway. So Data used contractions all the time up to now? So what? Now he can't use them.

Fans put all this energy into talking and arguing and worrying about whether one thing is canon or another thing isn't, as if canon were some important, fixed truth they could rely on, but it really doesn't matter that much. It's just a label.

Old February 20 2013, 04:45 AM   #165
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Ketrick wrote: View Post
First, he's made it clear that the reason they're not canonical is simply because the Supreme Court doesn't feel it's right to change the current rule that only what's on film is canon, not that the decision has anything to do with whether or not they believe the comics are canon worthy. Also, he's made it clear that a future court may decide they are canon...
You do understand that there are no actual courts or body of law or precedent involved here, right? It's all figurative speech.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote