Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 30 2013, 03:26 AM   #31
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: Missing episode recoveries history

Christopher wrote: View Post
Hope it's okay to bump this thread, but I didn't want to start a new one for this question:

Was episode 1 of "The Mind Robber" still missing after the rest had been recovered? I just watched it on Netflix streaming, and I'm pretty certain I've never seen part 1 before. Watching the episodes in "movie" format on PBS, I remember the story beginning with the TARDIS exploding in the black void and Jamie and Zoe clinging to the console, which is the start of part 2. So was episode 1 missing in the '80s, or was there another reason it wasn't included in the "movie" edit distributed at the time?
Might it be confusion on the part of your PBS Station? The following is from about half way down this Wiki page: The Mind Robbers Wikipedia

Working titles for this story included Man Power, Another World and The Fact of Fiction. The Mind Robber was originally composed of four episodes, but the preceding serial, The Dominators, was reduced from six to five episodes. This resulted in a sparse first episode being written, as they had to use the limited budget of the replaced episode. This stretching of the story also resulted in the first four episodes only running between 19 and 22 minutes in length, and Episode 5 being the shortest Doctor Who episode ever at slightly over 18 minutes.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 03:35 AM   #32
diankra
Commodore

Hope it's okay to bump this thread, but I didn't want to start a new one for this question:

Was episode 1 of "The Mind Robber" still missing after the rest had been recovered? I just watched it on Netflix streaming, and I'm pretty certain I've never seen part 1 before. Watching the episodes in "movie" format on PBS, I remember the story beginning with the TARDIS exploding in the black void and Jamie and Zoe clinging to the console, which is the start of part 2. So was episode 1 missing in the '80s, or was there another reason it wasn't included in the "movie" edit distributed at the time?
Mind Robber 1 was recovered in 1978, and I first saw it at the NFT weekend in October 83 along with the rest of the story. Never heard of a movie edit that skipped it, but in view of the Planet/Daleks without part 3 and the five part version of Inv-Dinos I guess there might have been one. Did you see Dominators then? Maybe part one ran as an add-on to that?
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 03:39 AM   #33
Christopher
Writer

Nope, my recollection is that it went right from the lava cliffhanger at the end of "The Dominators" to the TARDIS explosion at the start of "The Mind Robber." My only memory of the events of part 1 is from the novelization; I probably figured that was just the author's expansion or something.

I guess it's possible that I've just forgotten part 1, but I feel so sure I've never seen it before. I mean, Zoe spent half the episode in her sparkly catsuit, and that's kinda unforgettable.

Written Worlds -- My blog

Last edited by Christopher; November 30 2013 at 03:51 AM.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 01:10 PM   #34
inflatabledalek
Captain

That could well have forced memories of everything else in the episode.

I suspect the main reason virtually all of series 6 survives is someone wanted to preserve Zoe's bum for posterity.
Old November 30 2013, 02:56 PM   #35
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
That could well have forced memories of everything else in the episode.

I suspect the main reason virtually all of series 6 survives is someone wanted to preserve Zoe's bum for posterity.
How many people became mathematicians because of that, I'd like to know.
Old November 30 2013, 03:20 PM   #36
Christopher
Writer

To be sure, that shot of catsuited Zoe sprawled on the console is one for the ages, but what's cool about "The Mind Robber" is how impressive Zoe gets to be in other ways. Okay, she spends a lot of the serial frightened and screaming and makes some impetuous mistakes, which is all par for the course for '60s female companions -- but she also gets to beat up a comic-strip strongman twice her size, and it's her plan that defeats the evil computer in the end.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 03:48 PM   #37
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

True, the writers didn't quite know what to do with Zoe. Her personality and skill sets could change drastically from one story to the next, and even in the middle of a story.
Old November 30 2013, 09:08 PM   #38
Candlelight
Admiral

No, The Mind Robber was found complete by Ian Levine in 1978.

It was only really Invasion of the Dinosaurs and Planet of the Daleks which had edited omnibus editions to skip the missing colour eps.

EDIT: For some reason I didn't see the next page of this thread.