RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,415
Members: 24,632
Currently online: 442
Newest member: shrutidhrma

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 24 2013, 10:56 AM   #1
G2309
Captain

View G2309's Twitter Profile
The Moment (spoilers)

I thought that Billie Piper did a good job with the role. However I thought that it would have been a good opportunity to bring back Susan. It would have been a link to the very beginning. She would have also represented what the doctor was about to lose and what he could regain.
What do you think?

http://wondersandparodies.blogspot.c...y-scripts.html
G2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 11:05 AM   #2
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Re: The Moment (spoilers)

Yes, but the most recognizable to most, these days, would be one of the modern companions. I like the idea, though.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

As good as Billie Piper was in the role (and she was quite good), I would have like Susan as well. I suppose it makes since to have Piper because of Bad Wolf but I think Susan or even Adric would have greater emotional resonance. That being said, I inderstand why they chose her.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 11:40 AM   #4
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Rose Tyler has become one of the most iconic companions at the end of the day, so it would almost be stupid not to have her back. I'd say Billie Piper is right up there with Sarah Jane Smith and Frazer Hines, with SJS unfortunately having died and Frazer Hines just wouldn't have worked.

But at the end of the day, Billie Piper returning was a good idea.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 11:42 AM   #5
RevdKathy
I WILL have this wedding PERFECT!

View RevdKathy's Twitter Profile

My problem was that Billie Piper has had facial work done and doesn't look like she did back when she was Rose. That kept throwing me out of the story, and for that reason, if no other, I'd have preferred them to use someone else as the face of the weapon's conscience.
Old November 24 2013, 11:57 AM   #6
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

So was the Moment really capable of destroying both the Time Lords and the Dalek fleet or did its power solely lie in it using its superior intelligence to guide the Doctors to an alternative solution?
Old November 24 2013, 11:58 AM   #7
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Well, Carole Ann Ford doesn't look like she did back when she was Susan either. I don't see how it's a problem.
Old November 24 2013, 11:58 AM   #8
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

RevdKathy wrote: View Post
My problem was that Billie Piper has had facial work done and doesn't look like she did back when she was Rose. That kept throwing me out of the story, and for that reason, if no other, I'd have preferred them to use someone else as the face of the weapon's conscience.
She looked the same to me. Nothing that can't be chalked up to a few years, some makeup and a different hairstyle.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 12:20 PM   #9
RevdKathy

She hasn't looked like Rose since before she did 'Turn Left'. (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=60959) Add a bit of aging onto that and you have someone who looks and sounds sufficiently different from Rose-as-we-remember-her to be distracting. At least to me.
Old November 24 2013, 12:30 PM   #10
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

She isn't Rose though, she is the Bad Wolf hybrid Rose/TARDIS consciousness merged with the AI of the Moment. . . or something.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 12:40 PM   #11
Mitty
Vice Admiral

Could have just as easily been Donna Noble. Catherine Tate would also have been awesome in that part, and it could have been done with very little rewrites necessary.

Could just as easily have been Amy as well. After all, I think you'll find Amy is the longest standing companion in the new series.
Old November 24 2013, 12:48 PM   #12
RevdKathy

Mitty wrote: View Post
Could have just as easily been Donna Noble. Catherine Tate would also have been awesome in that part, and it could have been done with very little rewrites necessary.

Could just as easily have been Amy as well. After all, I think you'll find Amy is the longest standing companion in the new series.
Indeed, it could have been any of them. I think Donna Noble would have been particularly effective - echoes of Pompeii. Or Ood Sigma would even have worked rather well and a 'communication system' from the Moment.
Old November 24 2013, 01:08 PM   #13
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Venardhi wrote: View Post
She isn't Rose though, she is the Bad Wolf hybrid Rose/TARDIS consciousness merged with the AI of the Moment. . . or something.
It was the interface of the Moment, scanned the Doctor's lifetime and picked someone that was or would be important to him... In which case not really looking like her is pointless.

Yeah, I know, real world means Billie has had dental surgery, aged, changed her appearance and you can't hold any of that against her. But I thought she didn't really do a good job being Rose or The Moment and her changed appearance probably didn't help in that.
Old November 24 2013, 03:46 PM   #14
The Wormhole
Admiral

RevdKathy wrote: View Post
To be honest, I didn't really notice and it wasn't as distracting as that lisp she spoke with in her season 4 episodes. Now that pulled me out of the story.
Old November 24 2013, 07:32 PM   #15
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

The production was able to milk the hell out of David Tennant and Billie Piper comin' back for the 50th special. That's why it was Rose as the Moment.