TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 28 2012, 06:16 PM   #1
emergencyfruit
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View emergencyfruit's Twitter Profile
Need a good starter episode for a newbie

Hi everyone, I am introducing my boyfriend to TOS and need a good episode that basically captures the essence of the show. He's not terribly into sci-fi, so if it's not a great episode, he may not watch any more.

I'm thinking an episode that shows most of the cast, doesn't put McCoy in a bad light (*ahem* City on the Edge of Forever), and doesn't have too many bad special effects. Amok Time and Tomorrow is Yesterday both come to mind, but I'd appreciate other suggestions. Thanks, everyone!
emergencyfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 06:29 PM   #2
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: Need a good starter episode for a newbie

Probably be good to lure him in with an episode with Skimpy costumes in it, too.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 06:38 PM   #3
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

I would suggest any of these TOS episodes:
"Balance Of Terror"
"Galileo Seven"
"Space Seed"
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

"The Devil in the Dark" (if you think he won't find the Horta laughable).

"Balance of Terror."

"Journel to Babel."
Old August 28 2012, 06:47 PM   #5
MacLeod
Admiral

The first one that sprung to mind was "Balance of Terror"
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 07:00 PM   #6
Harvey
Admiral

"The Corbomite Maneuver" or "Balance of Terror" would get my vote.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

yeah Balance of Terror is always a good choice...

Failing that, find some green bodypaint and wear that while watching The Cage... sure that'd get his interest lol

M
Old August 28 2012, 08:23 PM   #8
Nacluv
Lieutenant Commander

The Enemy Within and What Are Little Girls Made of?, I think congenially elucidates what Star Trek is all about and also how dispersive they're both thematically and formatically.

Devil in the Dark, Dagger of the Mind & The Changeling IMO also epitomizes the core of Star Tek.

I think neither Amok Time, Naked Time nor Mirror Mirror would be good episodes to start out with unfortunately. As second or third episodes they would of course like any episode be selectable, depending on how you've organized his introduction.
Nacluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 08:38 PM   #9
Use of Time
Commodore

"Return of the Archons." While he is watching, wait for the clock to hit on the hour, then jump up, flip over a couch and scream "FESTIVAL, FESTIVAL!" Record then post to Youtube for all to see. You're welcome.
Old August 28 2012, 09:42 PM   #10
REDrake
Lieutenant

Send a message via Yahoo to REDrake

The Trouble with Tribbles.
REDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 09:53 PM   #11
emergencyfruit
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nacluv wrote: View Post
I think neither Amok Time, Naked Time nor Mirror Mirror would be good episodes to start out with unfortunately. As second or third episodes they would of course like any episode be selectable, depending on how you've organized his introduction.
The only reason those episodes seem like they might be ok is that there have been a ton of pop culture references made from them, and that recognition might help hook him in. That said, I do see your point.

Well, it looks like a ton of recommendations for Balance of Terror, which isn't personally a favorite of mine, but seems logical enough. I fell completely in love with TOS after The Enemy Within, but I think that's just me. Balance of Terror probably would appeal to him, so I'll probably go with that for the first one.
Old August 28 2012, 10:03 PM   #12
MacLeod
Admiral

Does your friend like any particular types of stories?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 10:15 PM   #13
Nacluv
Lieutenant Commander

emergencyfruit wrote: View Post
Nacluv wrote: View Post
The only reason those episodes seem like they might be ok is that there have been a ton of pop culture references made from them, and that recognition might help hook him in. That said, I do see your point.
I love those episodes but I think that all those episodes are best enjoyed first after having see n some other episodes. Especially since he would then know the characters a little before seeing them The Naked Time and Mirror, Mirror. How would he know that Spock normally doesn't cry or that Sulu doesn't normally pursue Uhura?
Nacluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 10:25 PM   #14
Utopianvista
Fleet Captain

The Trouble with the Tribbles.

Has most of the cast (sans Sulu) and is a classic episode that has mainstream appeal. EVERYONE loves Tribbles!
Old August 28 2012, 10:36 PM   #15
emergencyfruit
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hmm. Well, he liked Star Wars quite a bit, and while his tastes lean towards action/adventure, he can also appreciate romantic or psychological tales if they're fast-paced and executed well. We have very different senses of humor, so a dramatic episode might be preferable to a lighthearted one. He really doesn't watch a lot of TV, but he's a gamer and enjoys being able to think and interact with ideas.

Not sure if that helps? I think he'll be satisfied with almost any episode; I just want to make sure I don't foil the opportunity if another episode is better. I made him promise to watch one with me after he couldn't pick out Kirk in a photo of the crew. :P If he becomes a Trekkie, all the better, but I'll settle for basic competence!