Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade & Discuss
A 3 30.00%
B 2 20.00%
C 1 10.00%
D 1 10.00%
F 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 21 2013, 05:48 PM   #46
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Re: MLP:FiM S3E10 - "Keep Calm and Flutter On" Grading & Discussion

I liked it. No, not the strongest. But I found it very much as though you were writing for Q in Next Gen - he's freaking OMNIPOTENT and has NO real need to listen to ANYONE. So how do ou write something that has him in it, without him being a villain, and of having it focus on the main characters?

As a Fluttershy episode it works well enough IMO, and as an episode that's what it really is supposed to be.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 05:53 PM   #47
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

brian577 wrote: View Post
milo bloom wrote: View Post
That said, it's still a childrens' show. The lesson is that people can be reformed (mostly...) and that's a lesson worth teaching children.
It seemed to be more like let someone walk all over you and they'll become your friend. Not a good lesson IMHO
I didn't get that impression, more like people have their own path, and if they want to be a part of something bigger than themselves, then they have to consider how their actions affect others.
Old January 21 2013, 08:32 PM   #48
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

The ony thing that truely unsettles me is that Celestia pretty much created the situation of, essentially, someone raped being made to babysit her abuser. The one vocal opponent of this, has a hot liquid flung in her crotch.

And we're meant to think it's funny. Am I the only one not laughing at all here?
Old January 21 2013, 09:32 PM   #49
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
The ony thing that truely unsettles me is that Celestia pretty much created the situation of, essentially, someone raped being made to babysit her abuser. The one vocal opponent of this, has a hot liquid flung in her crotch.

And we're meant to think it's funny. Am I the only one not laughing at all here?
The Mane 6 are in the unenviable position of being Celestia's go-to group for troubleshooting. That will unfortunately sometimes entail them re-engaging previous enemies.
Old January 21 2013, 09:40 PM   #50
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Oh, for christ's sake. I am so sick of people comparing the fictional act of mind control with the very real and traumatic experience of physical rape. Fluttershy is not a rape victim and I can't believe I even had to type that sentence.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 09:43 PM   #51
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Complete mental violation is ok then, fair enough.
Old January 21 2013, 10:02 PM   #52
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

So what if Luna suddenly was corrupted again, Chem? Would the Mane 6 not be able to face her? And what about Captain Picard taking on the Borg repeatedly? He was certainly "mentally violated."
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 10:11 PM   #53
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Luna was corrupted by dark magic she chose to use herself, the elements removed only the dark powers as she even says herself. Her mental state remained, as we see it means she has a long and difficult re-adjustment because of it, rather than just using the elements to force her to be 'happy' in some way, against her will.
Old January 21 2013, 11:21 PM   #54
J. Allen
Going Nowhere Fast

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I understand where you're coming from, Chemy. While I wouldn't use the term "rape", I do agree that Fluttershy's mind was violated by Discord (it shocked me a bit when it happened, too). Everyone will have a strong opinion about this episode, I believe, since it involves what may arguably be the best villain of the series so far.

I'm still certain we haven't seen the last of Discord's chaos, and if it did end up being used in a way similar to "Q" (the unknowable entity who is chaotic), then I think that would be satisfying for myself. As I said, I enjoyed the episode, but each person is different. I am still no fan of "Lesson Zero", even though it's very popular in the Brony fandom. I just don't like seeing my ponies go crazy, especially the one I consider best pony, and though I have watched "The Return of Harmony", and I like Discord as a villain (and love John DeLancie), I don't watch it much because I don't like seeing what happens to the ponies in that story. That's why it doesn't bother me when people love an episode I don't like, and dislike an episode I love. So, I do get what you're saying here.

Though if I did have a particular nitpick, it would be the "gravy" scene. Gravy is a meat based substance. Our ponies are vegetarians. Though there is vegetarian gravy, so I guess it could have been that. Still, the gravy in the crotch scene seemed out of place.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 07:52 PM   #55
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

I'm not a big fan if Lesson Zero either, they were written far too out of character.
Old January 22 2013, 08:15 PM   #56
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

See, I find Lesson Zero to be one of the most entertaining episodes of the series. Twilight was always so high strung, and then she finally snaps to hilarious effect. I completely understand why someone could find it out of character, but it had me in stitches.
Old January 23 2013, 02:09 AM   #57
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I loved Lesson Zero too. Maybe it was a little out of character, but that's a minor nitpick. Twilight having a mental breakdown is always funny.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote