IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 17 2013, 09:00 PM   #1
Arpy
Rear Admiral

Seasoning Season 8

Starting a thread to imagine Season 8 episode ideas. Add to it if you like.

I like the idea of another two-parter like TNG did with the Klingons, Romulans, Borg, and Cardassians. What about one with the Ferengi that vindicates them as villains? Something showing their threat to the universe, not as Klingon or Romulan-like imperial conquerors, but as conquerors using economics and culture. Something seedy maybe that would fit better on Farscape or Star Wars? Or something very lofty showing how easily some cultures would more likely be keen on Ferengi economics than Federation. Look how difficult it is for us to accept the Federation moneyless economy - maybe if we given overtures by the Federation or the Ferengi Alliance we'd find ourselves indentured servants of the Alliance. Maybe the Ferengi could never have been as sexy villains as the Romulans or Cardassians, but they could have been more widespread, insidious, and loathsome.

No Daimon Bok. Yes more Ferengi ship designs.
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 09:14 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Seasoning Season 8

No more Ferengi please. While I liked Quark, which is a credit to the actor, the DS9 episodes featuring Ferengi politics and the like were painful to watch.

Season Eight would need to kick off big and also introduce a group of new characters at the same time.
Old January 17 2013, 09:22 PM   #3
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

What the series desperately needed was more Romulans. And none of this Cold War "staring at each other across the neutral zone" stuff.

We needed more actual skirmishes, perhaps ending with a movie depicting a true Vulcan-Romulan alliance?
Old January 17 2013, 09:33 PM   #4
BillJ
Admiral

I think you need to give Picard some type of poignant sendoff, move along everyone else besides Riker and LaForge and introduce something of galactic import that doesn't necessarily equal a threat.
Old January 17 2013, 09:56 PM   #5
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

Mirror universe with the TNG crew would be a great way to start off season 8 !!!!
Old January 17 2013, 10:09 PM   #6
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

A two-hour Ferengi episode with a midpoint cliffhanger would be more than most people could bear.

A two-part Praetor/Proconsul Sela episode might have worked, ending in her death, since I didn't care for the character anyway.
Old January 17 2013, 10:12 PM   #7
Arpy
Rear Admiral

Seal should have been executed or committed suicide after each of her massive failures. The Romulans killed thousands of their own troops at the end of "Unification" for chrissake!

My Ferengi two-parter wouldn't show them as "cutesy" as the DS9 ones and would have changed the course of their development on DS9 too.
Old January 17 2013, 10:15 PM   #8
BillJ
Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
A two-part Praetor/Proconsul Sela episode might have worked, ending in her death, since I didn't care for the character anyway.
It would have to be an excruciating death to make it worth while...
Old January 17 2013, 10:17 PM   #9
BillJ
Admiral

Arpy wrote: View Post
Seal should have been executed or committed suicide after each of her massive failures. The Romulans killed thousands of their own troops at the end of "Unification" for chrissake!

My Ferengi two-parter wouldn't show them as "cutesy" as the DS9 ones and would have changed the course of their development on DS9 too.
Ferengi were a creative failure. Too try and relaunch the show around them just wouldn't work.

I think a Prime Directive/New race/Picard lost in time story would be what I would look for in a two-hour relaunch.
Old January 17 2013, 10:35 PM   #10
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
A Varon-T disruptor should do the trick.
Old January 17 2013, 10:39 PM   #11
BillJ
Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
A Varon-T disruptor should do the trick.
Too quick.
Old January 17 2013, 10:41 PM   #12
Lance
Commodore

A very fannish notion it might be, but I'd have liked to have seen a 'proper' crossover between TNG and DS9. Maybe as one of those epic sized two parters so that they could afford to employ more than one of DS9's cast to appear.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 10:45 PM   #13
BillJ
Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
A very fannish notion it might be, but I'd have liked to have seen a 'proper' crossover between TNG and DS9. Maybe as one of those epic sized two parters so that they could afford to employ more than one of DS9's cast to appear.
Never been a fan of crossovers. They never seem to work as well in action as in theory.
Old January 17 2013, 10:49 PM   #14
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
When the two series were airing simultaneously, I wished they had a done a two-parter like that, with the setup on TNG and the resolution on DS9. It could have included a scene establishing Worf's interest in the station, though at that point they probably weren't even considering it.

Edit: Apologies to BillJ.
Old January 17 2013, 10:50 PM   #15
Arpy
Rear Admiral

This is a dream thread. Anything can "work" or not.