Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 3 2013, 04:19 PM   #1
Noddy
Captain

Comics' Greatest World (Dark Horse)

Anyone remember this imprint in the 1990's, with produced such superheroes as Ghost, X, and Barb Wire? I've got the recently released Omnibuses of the original Ghost and Barb Wire series. Ghost was definitely the most popular character created for this shared universe. I know Dark Horse recently brought out a new Ghost mini-series, but I was disheartened that it wasn't a continuation of the old series, but a total reboot. And Barb Wire was made into a '96 movie starring Pamela Anderson, and although it was a royal turd, it was kind of worth it just to see Pam in tight, black leather outfits.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 08:40 PM   #2
bigboojeg
Vice Admiral

Re: Comics' Greatest World (Dark Horse)

I think you spelled Marvel wrong in the title.

I kid, Dark Horse had some good titles. Sin City rocked and I enjoyed their Indiana Jones comic too.
bigboojeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Dark Horse has brought back a mixed collection of the GCW characters recently, as you have noticed the Ghost 4 issue mini(which wasn't originally intended that way).
Ghost, X, Agents of Change, Amazing Grace and Titan(the last 3 are all in an anthology title called Catalyst Comix) have appeared with Ghost scheduled to get an ongoing next month.

Dark Horse is also reviving some concepts that I'm guessing are in public domain now(?) such as Captain Midnight, Skyman and Brain Boy. At least one creator owned charcter, The Occultist, is also being added into DH's new superhero conglomeration line. The loose banner of which they tie together is called "Project Black Sky", look for that on DH titles to distinguish what other future titles may tie together.

Example Brain Boy (he hates that nickname) works for Albright Industries. The secret identity of Captain Midnight is Jim Albright. As of now it doesn't even seem the characters are aware of the ties (loose) to one another. It's still unfolding, I've probably missed some things so if anyone has made a connection I'm all ears.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Noddy
Captain

Are these new stories continuations of the old continuity, or total reboots? If it's the latter, I'm afraid I'm not interested.
Old October 4 2013, 01:38 PM   #5
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Reboots but X feels exactly the same to me and Ghost isn't that far removed either.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 02:25 PM   #6
Noddy
Captain

From what I've seen of the Ghost reboot, I think I prefer the original somehow. Not seen much of the X reboot, though I think that does utilize the original setting of Arcadia. Wonder if we'll get a reboot of Barb Wire?