RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,398
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 519
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 30 2013, 12:58 PM   #496
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Going Veggie

That sounds extremely good. I love udon noodles too. And that style of food is so flexible, pretty much do anything with it.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 04:40 PM   #497
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Yeah udon noodles are amazing. Somehow the potatoes come out like bacon bits, I'm not sure how, but they are so good.
Old March 30 2013, 04:45 PM   #498
lurok
Commodore

mmm...soba.

+ this (apologies for meat content)
Old March 31 2013, 11:08 AM   #499
Into Darkness
Captain

I was vegetarian for 3 years and then about 2-3 month ago I relapsed and ate a kebab and ive not given it up again yet. :-/
Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 05:10 AM   #500
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I was vegetarian for 3 years and then about 2-3 month ago I relapsed and ate a kebab and ive not given it up again yet. :-/
Come to the Dark Side, we have meat.

A few of us here are not Veggie people, solely. I am an Omnivore, but enjoy learning about food. So, here I am.
Old April 1 2013, 05:15 AM   #501
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Oh I love meat, not eating meat to me is stupid. You need the minerals and vitamins from both meat and plants. But people eat too much meat, and even 1-2 meatless meals a week is great for you. People need a variety of foods.
Old April 1 2013, 02:39 PM   #502
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Oh I love meat, not eating meat to me is stupid.
No. Not eating meat is a healthful choice.
You need the minerals and vitamins from both meat and plants.
No. This is not at all true. Please read the thread and see how this silly myth is easily debunked by evidence.
But people eat too much meat, and even 1-2 meatless meals a week is great for you. People need a variety of foods.
Thinking you know the best way for everyone else to eat and playing the Diet Police is stupid.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 05:15 PM   #503
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I'm not the diet police, eat whatever you want, I went through a veggie phase, and my best friend did it for 2-3 years and then started eating good, fresh, natural meats and went to me after it ended, "That was stupid for me, I feel much better now".

As long as you aren't eating only veggies because hurting animals is mean, I don't care what you eat. Because eating plants is hurting the plant, and plants have feelings too. However the history of humans is based on eating meat and plants. Ancient humans were hunters and gathers, ate meat and berries. Then we learned to farm and eat more plants, which is horrible for our teeth, but still hunted too.
Old April 1 2013, 05:23 PM   #504
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

I'm not the diet police, eat whatever you want, I went through a veggie phase, and my best friend did it for 2-3 years and then started eating good, fresh, natural meats and went to me after it ended, "That was stupid for me, I feel much better now".
Sorry, but your post is easily interpreted as "vegetarianism is stupid", a position supported by the false assertion that we "need the vitamins and minerals from both meat and plants." Combined, it seemed like the stance of diet policers. So, sorry for getting you wrong, but I hope you can see how easy the mistake was, and that you recognize that your statement about needing meat is not factual.

As long as you aren't eating only veggies because hurting animals is mean, I don't care what you eat. Because eating plants is hurting the plant, and plants have feelings too. However the history of humans is based on eating meat and plants. Ancient humans were hunters and gathers, ate meat and berries. Then we learned to farm and eat more plants, which is horrible for our teeth, but still hunted too.
Oh wait, my mistake, you were being judgemental after all! And don't get me started on the complete lack of logic behind the paleo claims. I find it hilarious that people think it's a healthy idea to base lifestyle choices on people whose average lifespans were 25 years.

View my art!
Old April 1 2013, 05:30 PM   #505
Relayer1
Commodore

Oh I love meat, not eating meat to me is stupid. You need the minerals and vitamins from both meat and plants. But people eat too much meat, and even 1-2 meatless meals a week is great for you. People need a variety of foods.
I love meat too. I don't like beans and pulses.

I have, however, been a healthy vegetarian for 28 years because I realised that I was only eating meat because I liked it. Killing for pleasure is wrong, however you look at it...
Old April 1 2013, 06:59 PM   #506
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Come on, guy, you're coming into a Vegetarian thread saying that you think not eating meat is stupid?
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 08:48 PM   #507
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Come on, guy, you're coming into a Vegetarian thread saying that you think not eating meat is stupid?
And supporting that opinion with false claims!

View my art!
Old April 2 2013, 01:27 AM   #508
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

I've been a vegetarian for 20 years and I am healthier than I used to be before. So your argument about what I "need" to eat is... a missed shot at best.

I DO eat variety of foods. But meat doesn't belong to that, that's all.

AND... I think even a child knows that the best source for vitamins are vegetables and fruits, not meat

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 01:33 AM   #509
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

As long as you aren't eating only veggies because hurting animals is mean, I don't care what you eat.
What does it have to do with you if someone doesn't eat meat because of hurting animals?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 02:19 AM   #510
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ I think it must be because animals routinely hurt each other. They kill each other for food every minute of the day. So therefore, it doesn't seem out of the ordinary that we eat them.

YMMV, of course.