RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,408
Members: 24,629
Currently online: 520
Newest member: Karzak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 25 2013, 09:54 PM   #376
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Going Veggie

The other night I had a dream where it was announced in the newspapers that avocados had been discovered to be sentient.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 10:26 PM   #377
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

I've never dreamed about sentient fruits, though I did once dream that a person turned into a burrito and I ate it. In my defense, the person had already been murdered by someone else, and I was only eating the burrito to hide the evidence because I was scared the cops would think I was the killer. Unfortunately, it was one of those big Mission Style burritos, and I've never been able to finish one of those in one go.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 10:30 PM   #378
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

They don't call avocado the "smart fruit" for nothing. Though a world where guacamole is illegal in no place to live.
Old February 25 2013, 10:52 PM   #379
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Oh, don't be silly! Sentience isn't the meter for determining whether or not something should be eaten in our culture, hilariously out-dated religious texts are!

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 10:55 PM   #380
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Touche.
Old February 26 2013, 01:46 AM   #381
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

marillion wrote: View Post
However, my (now 15 year old) daugher has been a vegetarian for the past couple of years and that has opened a wide world of options when it comes to dinner time..

The move was hard at first, as the rest of us still eat meat, and so dinner time was always a hassle.. Cooking two main dishes was a pain
When I declared to my mother I turned vegetarian at 16, I didn't expect her to cook for me any more, meaning cooking two dinners/suppers/whatever. I started cooking for myself.

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Gul Re'jal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 02:00 AM   #382
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Cardie women are sexy. Vegetarian Cardie women are really sexy. You just sent me to a happy place.

Thank you.
Old February 26 2013, 02:03 AM   #383
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

Happy places are good places to be

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Gul Re'jal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 02:06 AM   #384
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Indeed.
Old February 26 2013, 06:56 AM   #385
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I'm a bit taken aback that my brief post could be viewed as unfriendly - it was just short and factual. Rereading it, however, it could seem a bit aggressive. Sorry - my fault.

It is, however, an issue that some people who just avoid red meat call themselves veggie when they are nothing of the sort. I'm sick of people offering me chicken or fish when I say I'm vegetarian. Its not hard to understand, but the waters are getting muddied.

Meat eaters are very welcome to enjoy and discuss vegetarian food. Some cruelty free food is actually rather nice !
In honor of the Oscar show last night, I'll quote an Abraham Lincoln episode from TOS "The Savage Curtain":
"But why should I object to that term, sir? You see, in our century we've learned not to fear words." -Uhura to "Lincoln"

"May we together become greater than the sum of both of us." -"Surak", to Kirk and Sector 7 to Relayer1.

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
We can all enjoy a good fungus, though.
Well, mushrooms maybe... but I draw the line at toe jam...

Seriously, I keep seeing portabello mushrooms substituted for hamburger meat in the "hamburger'. Has anyone had both experiences to compare the two? To be honest, I haven't had the courage to try it yet, although I love mushrooms. I love to marinate "baby bellas". Of course, share your favorite recipes!
Old February 26 2013, 07:00 AM   #386
teacake
Admiral

They don't taste like hamburgers, they are just the same roundness and offer some substance in between the bun. Plus you can marinade them nicely. Unless you are talking about some fake-o hamburgers where they grind up mushrooms with some kind of breadcrumbs in which case I don't know. If they did that I am sure it would be awesome, much more awesome than hamburgers themselves (which I think are incredibly boring at best and often yucky).

To the person who asked if vegemite is salty, YES. It is less salty than it was decades ago, they have been slowly reducing the salt content in it over the years. This is a little know fact.. they think we don't notice but I remember!!

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old February 26 2013, 07:16 AM   #387
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

^That's what I always thought... it ain't a hamburger. No matter how good you make it sound, it just ain't a hamburger. I love them marinated, so to me, it would just be a bigger version of something I already love. The "baby bellas" are much less expensive, so I always buy them.

I should have taken a photo, but this weekend I made fajitas. Wait, don't hate! Instead of beef or my usual chicken... I used my fajita sauce-marinated baby bellas.

1 pint baby bellas, quartered & marinated in fajita sauce
1 pint sliced bell peppers, red & orange & yellow (I'm allergic to green peppers)
1/2 red onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
6-10 flour tortilla shells

Place peppers in hot skillet, cook until it sweats (begins to get soft)
Add red onion & minced garlic
Cook until liquid is almost gone
Add marinated mushrooms
Continue to cook until mixture is HOT (add more fajita sauce until desired consistency is reached
Spoon onto warmed flour tortilla & roll it up
Eat until tummy aches... hey, that's what I do!
Old February 26 2013, 07:39 AM   #388
teacake
Admiral

That sounds great Sector 7! That's the thing with those sauces, you can use anything with them. Beans, mushrooms..

I just made and ate this:

Wholemeal pita bread with home made hummous, cucumbers and radishes. I just LOVE radishes.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old February 26 2013, 07:48 AM   #389
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

^Awesome! That would also be good on a tortilla. Sadly, I cannot find whole wheat flour tortilla shells, or I'd buy them.

As someone stated above, I cannot get excited about lentils or lima beans, etc. Not sure what "pulses" are... so I may or may not have had any. It's very late & I don't feel like looking it up.

Thanks to this thread, I am even more conscious of what I eat. I am broadening my dietary horizons now.
Old February 26 2013, 03:15 PM   #390
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Sector 7 wrote: View Post

http://www.vegsoc.org/page.aspx?pid=698#.USloEqWpXSg

This has been accepted as official for longer than I've been around.

The Vegetarian Society, established on 30 Sept.1847.
One reason I have enjoyed- and participated in- this thread is because everyone has been welcoming and friendly... even to those of us who are not strict vegetarians. PLEASE continue this open, welcoming spirit I have come to love.

Although I am not a vegetarian, I really love coming here to learn about a healthier diet. I am also a foodie, of sorts, and have learned much in my time here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
teacake, thanks so much for explaining Vegemite in a way that makes me yearn for a taste! I am hoping to find and try some.
I'm a bit taken aback that my brief post could be viewed as unfriendly - it was just short and factual. Rereading it, however, it could seem a bit aggressive. Sorry - my fault.
Yup, it was a bit aggressive, so thank you for the apology.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote