Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 27 2013, 06:32 AM   #196
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station
Re: Going Veggie

I went to buy veggies for Rattatouile and this is what I've found. I wasn't sure what it was until I read on its packaging.

Anyone wants to guess?

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 07:04 AM   #197
lurok
Commodore

Looks like a ball courgette/zucchini

Do any other asparagus lovers get that unfortunate side-effect?
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 07:30 AM   #198
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Last night we had tacos. Now, I've made tacos hundreds of times. The difference this time, however, was that I used soy crumbles instead of ground beef, and while there was a slight taste variation, no one really seemed to notice enough to comment on it. In fact, everyone seemed to enjoy them, including myself.

I'm going to use them in fixing hamburger helper later this week. We'll see if they notice a difference there. If they don't, or if they don't mind, then I have found a way to enjoy a good supper with my meat loving family instead of always having separate meals. That's less expensive in the long run!
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 08:49 AM   #199
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

lurok wrote: View Post
Looks like a ball courgette/zucchini
It is I never saw a ball-shaped one before. And this one was just next to small green pumpkins, confusing me even more

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 09:46 AM   #200
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Here's my vegetarian and diabetes friendly dinner tonight, spaghetti squash, asparagus, brussels sprouts and pesto, topped with sun-dried tomatoes and aged parmesan flakes:

So...that's squash cut to be like spaghetti? Cool. Also, love asparagus. Entire meal looks pretty delicious in fact!

Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post
I went to buy veggies for Rattatouile and this is what I've found. I wasn't sure what it was until I read on its packaging.

Anyone wants to guess?

That is one round zucchini
Old January 27 2013, 10:55 AM   #201
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Spaghetti IS like spaghetti It's in thin strings inside.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 01:00 PM   #202
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

Well I feel sheepish.
Old January 27 2013, 01:02 PM   #203
teacake
Admiral

:: pinches Emher ::

Or maybe.. mutton?

OH NOES THIS IS THE VEGGIE THREAD!!

Okay, Tofutten.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 27 2013, 03:44 PM   #204
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Emher wrote: View Post
Well I feel sheepish.
You're in luck, I'm making lamb tonight.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 06:11 PM   #205
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Emher wrote: View Post
Well I feel sheepish.
You shouldn't, it's really nice! After it's cooked (I usually bake it, easy and healthy), the meat of the squash comes out naturally as "noodles."

Here's a good picture I found online:

It's a delicious, if improbable, vegetable, which people often prepare just like spaghetti or other noodle dishes:

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 06:26 PM   #206
Emher
Admiral

Ah, so it IS actually squash! Neat! Now I just gotta find squash ^^;;

Making corn soup with some sweet chili in it right now. Would probably be called a chowder in the US though, since this is gonna be thick.

Last edited by Emher; January 27 2013 at 08:02 PM.
Emher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 08:10 PM   #207
Emher
Admiral

Oh yeah, this definitely qualifies as chowder. Thick and filling! (that's what she said)

May not be the most pretty thing to look at....

...but very good. Recipe is as follows:

Corn chowder with Sweet Chili

1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
½ red chili
About 2 tablespoons of butter
2 potatoes
600 grams och corn (or about two cans)
1 deciliter of liquid vegetable bouillon
½ deciliter of sweet chili sauce
salt and pepper
5 deciliters of water
200 grams of Philadelphia cream cheese.

Peel and chop the onion and garlic. De-seed and chop the chili. Fry in the butter for a few minutes. Peel and cut the potatoes into small bits, then put them and the corn in the pot. Add the bouillon. Let simmer for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.

Run the soup through a mixer or use a staff mixer until it is smooth. Stir in the sweet chili sauce, the water and the cream cheese. then heat the soup again and taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy

And no, it is not the most healthy thing in the world. But it's so filling it doesn't really matter.
Old January 27 2013, 11:06 PM   #208
teacake
Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Last night we had tacos. Now, I've made tacos hundreds of times. The difference this time, however, was that I used soy crumbles instead of ground beef, and while there was a slight taste variation, no one really seemed to notice enough to comment on it. In fact, everyone seemed to enjoy them, including myself.

I'm going to use them in fixing hamburger helper later this week. We'll see if they notice a difference there. If they don't, or if they don't mind, then I have found a way to enjoy a good supper with my meat loving family instead of always having separate meals. That's less expensive in the long run!
So do they know that it is "soy crumbles", whatever they are? Or did they think they were eating ground beef?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 27 2013, 11:19 PM   #209
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

teacake wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post

So do they know that it is "soy crumbles", whatever they are? Or did they think they were eating ground beef?
My mom knew, and she liked it. We've been trying to find ways to get my dad to eat healthier. He's big on snack cakes, fruit pies, bologna sandwiches, chips, pop, movie theater style buttered popcorn for his lunch, and for dinner he likes heavy foods, like fried pork chops, mashed potatoes with beef gravy, buttered corn on the cob, and green beans cooked up with lard. He's from Kentucky, and that's the kind of food he grew up on, and while he says he wants to eat healthier, he hasn't actually made the change to do so over the past couple of years.

In fact, this is what he gets for lunch every day (more or less):

3 cans of diet cola (I successfully made him switch to diet about 3 years ago)
3 ham and cheese sandwiches on wheat (I also successfully made him switch to whole wheat. He much prefers white bread).
1 personal size bag of potato chips
2 Snack cakes (usually oatmeal creme pies or swiss rolls)
1 Banana

That's 5 days a week for a 12 hour day. If it's an 8 hour day, remove one sandwich and one cola.

It's also rather annoying because he is in good health for his age (he's 53). Don't get me wrong, I love my dad and don't want him getting sick, but he has eaten this kind of food for 50+ years and he has nothing bad to show for it. All of his tests have come back in the clear (he's a bit of a hypochondriac). If I were to eat this food every day of my life, I'd likely be dead!

Still, it's catching up with him. Mom, on the other hand, eats what I recommend, though sometimes she can be picky, which I understand. When I cook, I only use lean meat, and low sodium veggies (I buy canned), and when I can, I prefer buying fresh veggies, which I have been doing much more as of late.

I now grill pork chops instead of fry them, and I use a bit of olive oil, and a smattering of instant coffee grounds (decaf) to give that fried "look", and they never know the difference.

As I said, mom's used to it now, and she likes what I cook. Dad's a little tougher to budge. Me? I'm happy with some beans, lettuce, a couple slices of tomato, some cucumber, and a few shakes of the garlic seasoning (no salt).

Still, when I do the meatless dinners, it really is nice to eat the same meals with the family.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 11:32 PM   #210
teacake
Admiral

I think it's quite hilarious to substitute like that and I suspect anything with heavy tomato based sauce in it or seasonings would be easy to slip under the radar. Your dad's diet sounds expensive!! Well those snack cakes and sodas would really add up here, even if you bought them in bulk. It's frustrating because if you wanted to spend that much every day on lunch you could eat excellent food I assume. Would he eat home baked cakes? They could have secret fiber added, sugar and fats cut etc.. and probably be cheaper.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne