Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 21 2013, 08:21 AM   #151
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Re: Going Veggie

I went veggie two years ago and I don't feel like I am missing out of anything, really. I didn't have any specific ethical reasons to go veggie back in the day, I simply realized I was eating meat less and less, because I didn't really enjoy it anymore. Now the mere thought of consuming meat is a bit appaling, tbh.
Old January 21 2013, 08:57 AM   #152
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I have invented the most awesome summer salad.. I'm eating it now with an icy glass of sauvignon blanc.

Diced continental cucumber, black beans, squeeze of lime juice and fresh lychees. I was looking at the bag of lychees on my desk when this vision suddenly came to me.

It is beautiful.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 09:07 AM   #153
lurok
Commodore

Yum. I love lychees, esp peeling them, but somehow always feel they taste like perfumed balls.

How are you with durians? *eek*
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 09:18 AM   #154
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I've only had durian ice cream. I saw they were selling durian in woolworths recently but I suspect it was mislabled jackfruit. I sniffed it deeply but failed to detect anything. The durian ice cream was fine.

I love lychees, "perfumed" is one of my favorite food groups, LOL. Turkish delight, lychees, rambutans, lavender cheese.. but lychees are my favorite. They are cheap here too, I just ADORE them. Rambutans I adore because they appear in the fruit bowls of so many science fiction shows but I don't think they have the same fragrance.

I will try durian when I get the chance.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 12:39 AM   #155
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^I like "perfumed" foods too. My mother makes a lot of homemade jams and jellies, and my favorite by far is her strawberry lavender jam. It's AMAZING! Though the sangria jelly she made this summer is a close second! I also love Turkish Delights. I grew up in a state famous for apples, and there is a company called Aplets & Cotlets that makes their own unique variety of Turkish Delight. The company was founded by two middle eastern immigrants (I'm assuming here, I know they were immigrants but I could not find their country of origin) who moved to Washington State to farm. They grew apricots, apples, and tree nuts. Applets & Cotlets are basically apricot and apple Turkish delights with chopped walnuts, and they're amazing. My mother, sister, and I went to their tiny little factory one year, situated in the little town by their orchards and where they give little factory tours. It was actually a lot of fun, and the fresh sweets were mind-blowingly good!

Anyway, enough being all "This post brought to you by our sponsors..."

I am trying to take J's motivation to heart and improve my own diet. I already eat really healthy in general, and I actually eat vegetarian by default. I don't exclude meat because, as a type 1 diabetic, the options I have for what will affect my blood sugar are limited enough already, and I found complete vegetarianism just too limiting (though I did do it for several years). I just like my once a year buffalo jerky too much! I hardly ever eat it, though.

I should get more variety, though. I sometimes make great soups, but usually I just eat the same thing every day: cup of cottage cheese, piece of fruit if my blood sugar is low enough, salad, 1/4 cup of mixed nuts. Yesterday, though, I tried something new (though not veggie). I baked a catfish fillet and steamed some broccoli and those tiny, multicolored potatoes. I can't believe how easy and delicious the fish was, and so much less messy than cooking meat!

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 05:56 AM   #156
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

I hope my questions are not annoying or offensive. They are not meant to be. This is addressed to TheStrangeQuark and, well, any others:

I gather there are different levels of veggie-ism. Vegans seem to be one extreme, but many levels seem to exist.

Why is it OK to eat fish, but not other meat... or chicken, but not beef? This is something I really don't understand. [Remember, I'm not trying to be offensive, but to learn.]

Where I live, we don't even have specialty stores. The lychee salad looks great, but I don't have access to many of the ingredients I've seen on here. It's another reason I'm just trying to eat healthier in general. It was different when we lived at the beach, it was a larger city with more variety.
Old January 22 2013, 06:04 AM   #157
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
I hope my questions are not annoying or offensive. They are not meant to be. This is addressed to TheStrangeQuark and, well, any others:

I gather there are different levels of veggie-ism. Vegans seem to be one extreme, but many levels seem to exist.

Why is it OK to eat fish, but not other meat... or chicken, but not beef? This is something I really don't understand. [Remember, I'm not trying to be offensive, but to learn.]

Where I live, we don't even have specialty stores. The lychee salad looks great, but I don't have access to many of the ingredients I've seen on here. It's another reason I'm just trying to eat healthier in general. It was different when we lived at the beach, it was a larger city with more variety.
For asking this question, I'm going to have to beat you, ostracize you, and then beat you again. Fortunately, in between each beating, you will be showered with kisses.

Seriously, though, in my opinion, fish is meat. So it's more akin to Pescetarianism, rather than Vegetarianism, but that's just my opinion. Generally, this topic is highly debated. Personally, it doesn't matter to me, but I do find it a bit curious.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 06:24 AM   #158
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Not offended at all.

My sister is a vegan. Her philosophy is that she is in the position to live without using animals at all, and that is what she should do. Her's is a position of ethics, recognizing that we, as humans, are animals. She believes, therefore, that animals deserve the same rights not to be abused, exploited, or murdered as people do. She therefore does what she can to be completely independent of all animal products, from meat, fish, dairy, and eggs, to honey, leather, and wool. While I do agree with some of her philosophy, I don't share it all, but I understand why she feels the way she does.

As for other lines, I think some people draw the line at meat but continue to eat fish and poultry for health reasons. Others, because their arbitrary line of morality extends only to land animals. For some, it's about the environment the animal lived in: a fish caught from the ocean was not exploited all its life for food. The truth is, no matter where we draw our personal ethical lines it is pretty much arbitrary in the end. Vegans eat mushrooms even though they are far more closely related to animals than to plants, for example. Morals are a choice, and some people just choose differently along the scale. I think every point on the meat-eater to fish-eater to veggie to vegan scale has good moral arguments for it, and good arguments why the line should be somewhere else, so I figure people should be allowed to settle wherever they feel most comfortable and justify their position as they will.

View my art!
Old January 22 2013, 08:15 AM   #159
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I believe you may have answered that question perfectly, tsq.
That doesn't change that I'm still beating him. In fact, if you'll keep an eye on him, I'll go get the comfy chair.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 09:18 AM   #160
CorporalClegg
Admiral

tsq does everything perfectly. Who are you kidding?
Old January 22 2013, 12:25 PM   #161
ByrdMan
Commodore

View ByrdMan's Twitter Profile

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
As for other lines, I think some people draw the line at meat but continue to eat fish and poultry for health reasons. Others, because their arbitrary line of morality extends only to land animals. For some, it's about the environment the animal lived in: a fish caught from the ocean was not exploited all its life for food. The truth is, no matter where we draw our personal ethical lines it is pretty much arbitrary in the end. Vegans eat mushrooms even though they are far more closely related to animals than to plants, for example. Morals are a choice, and some people just choose differently along the scale. I think every point on the meat-eater to fish-eater to veggie to vegan scale has good moral arguments for it, and good arguments why the line should be somewhere else, so I figure people should be allowed to settle wherever they feel most comfortable and justify their position as they will.

Also, it's possible to be a vegetarian for health, economic or environmental reasons rather than moral ones. I've followed a mostly vegetarian diet at times (not currently), with no moral qualms whatsoever about eating one species over another
ByrdMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 02:46 PM   #162
lurok
Commodore

Sort of topical after mentioned quinoa earlier. It's a riposte to a commentary piece about Western demand for q and impact on Bolivian economy. Reactions are interesting. Of course, it's from the Guardian, newspaper of veggie liberals everywhere

Last edited by lurok; January 22 2013 at 03:35 PM.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 03:35 PM   #163
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Ah, I heard about that. It is an interesting case! Just goes to show, you should never draw an uncompromising ethical line anywhere, because chances are it's fucking things up in ways you never imagined! Just better to accept that we are all monsters!
ByrdMan wrote: View Post
thestrangequark wrote: View Post

Also, it's possible to be a vegetarian for health, economic or environmental reasons rather than moral ones. I've followed a mostly vegetarian diet at times (not currently), with no moral qualms whatsoever about eating one species over another
Oh yes, I agree completely. As I said earlier, my default position is vegetarian, though I personally do not have an ethical problem eating meat.

View my art!
Old January 22 2013, 05:38 PM   #164
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

I'm loving this thread, especially the recipes. teacake, your salads are must-haves!

My husband has been a pesco-vegetarian (he eats fish and dairy, but no other meat) for almost 30 years. I was much the same for several years, but after the birth of my third child I had some health issues that left me needing to start eating meat again from time to time (giving birth 3 times within 3 1/2 years will do that to you). I don't cook with meat often for cost reasons, and stick mostly to vegetarian pastas and bakes. My children like different kinds of meat, though they like most of my veggie dishes as well.

tsq, I must try your chilli recipe, though with maybe a quarter of the spices. Yeah, I'm a complete and utter heat wimp. One ingredient I always add to my chilli is a small spoonful of cocoa powder. It sounds odd if you've never come across it, but a friend who's an incredible cook (she wrote a cookbook for pressure cookers) told me about this. The chilli doesn't taste remotely chocolatey, of course, but the cocoa powder adds a lovely depth to the flavour.

I'm a huge fan of my slow cooker. Chillies, stews and sauces taste better when they've been slow-cooked for hours on a low temperature than when they've been whipped up on the hob/stove top. My most-often cooked slow cooker dish is a tomato-based veggie pasta sauce.

I came across this fun article on the BBC website today: Twenty tales of vegetarian woe. Even though my husband eats fish he sometimes has trouble finding something to eat in pubs and restaurants.
Old January 22 2013, 05:42 PM   #165
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Oh man, adding cocoa doesn't sound odd at all to me -- I'm a huge fan of mole! Chocolate and spice came long before chocolate and sugar. I must give that a try!

View my art!