RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,516
Posts: 5,511,921
Members: 25,138
Currently online: 678
Newest member: Tosty82

TrekToday headlines

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 16 2013, 09:54 PM   #1
Santa Claus
Believe
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Going Veggie

or... "Give in to deliciousness, the Pretzel Wagon way!"

[This thread started by recommendation of teacake. ]

After seeing my blood glucose numbers consistently pushing 240+ on a daily basis, even with medication, and my blood pressure climbing into the 180s, even with medication, I finally had to draw the line. I'd tried vitamins, different medicines and medicine schedules, exercises, meditation, and fasting, and my numbers were still too high.

So I did something I had once tried years ago (for a year), I went vegetarian.

"John", you might say, "why would you do that? I mean, not to question your life choice or look like a complete jerk raining judgment down upon you like the fish of an angry god, but why not just eat lean meats?" to which I reply, "because I was always predisposed to enjoying veggies more than meat, I don't really eat much meat, and the more vegetables I eat, the healthier I will be, you silly goose."

And 3 days in, it already seems to be paying off. My blood glucose numbers, which were hovering above the 240s before I made the switch, have been running around 200. I can only hope the trend continues downward. My blood pressure was 139/84 yesterday, so it looks like I'm seeing progress there as well.

What I find so far is that I don't feel that I've lost anything by making this change. My meals are filling, and delicious, I have more energy now than I did even 3 days ago. Physically speaking, I feel better. There's no meat in my diet, but I don't miss it. Yesterday I had a salad with Romaine lettuce, dark kidney beans, and diced tomatoes. I added a little parmesan cheese (no salt), a dash of olive oil, and let it sit in the fridge for two hours. I wanted to eat the whole bowl, it was so good, but I spaced it out over 2 meals, and had an apple in between.

I'm not hungry, my blood sugar is slowly moving toward normal numbers, as well as my blood pressure, and I can only hope that from here, things continue to improve.

So for me, going veggie was for health reasons, though I have to admit that I often thought about the animal that was now on my plate, and I'd feel a twinge of guilt. Yes, we're omnivores, yes, circle of life, and all of that, but it still bothered me, so by not eating meat, I have started on my way to accomplishing two goals:

1) To being healthy, and less dependent upon medication, and preventing the need for future medications.
2) To easing my own convictions about what I eat and what's involved in getting that food to my plate.

If you want to share why you've gone Vegetarian, why you're considering it, or why you don't feel you can, or if you want to share some recipes or ask questions, drop a line in this thread.
__________________
---------
"I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe." - Susan Walker
---------
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 10:04 PM   #2
KimMH
Rear Admiral
 
KimMH's Avatar
 
Location: The poster formerly known as ORSE
Re: Going Veggie

Congratulations and good luck! You'll soon reap the benefits of a healthier lifestyle!
__________________
Just one woman; doing what I can, with what I've got, where I'm at!
KimMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 10:11 PM   #3
lurok
Commodore
 
lurok's Avatar
 
Location: Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
Re: Going Veggie

I'll probably never go total veg, but eat meat less and less. Not for any particular ethical or health reason. Just don't feel like it. Like making things like greek salad, couscous and tabbouleh. Couscous must be the best fast food ever. Five minutes and done.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 10:12 PM   #4
Solstice
Sexy Wizard
 
Solstice's Avatar
 
Location: I'm so lost T_T
View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice
Re: Going Veggie

I really like meat. I think I could only do without it if I ate a lot of Indian food. I just love savory flavors and that's the thing I'd miss the most about meat.

For those of you here who are vegetarians or vegans, as long as it works for you, more power to you.
__________________
Robert Maxwell
I has a blag.
I put on my robe and wizard hat...
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 11:08 PM   #5
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: Going Veggie

I know I could never go vegetarian or vegan. I just like eating meat too much. It's not a philosophical/moral issue that I can see; it's just that I eat meat, I enjoy it, I believe it's safe to do so (I have no health issues that would make it unsafe), and I leave it at that.

Now I also love eating vegetables, of course.
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 11:32 PM   #6
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Going Veggie

I think the flow on benefits from going veg will be a change in taste which will lead to less over fatty processed foods. That salad you describe is perfect IMO, you let the natural juices and flavors develop.

I'm not veg but grew up in a health food family (didn't have white bread until I was at least 15). My mom was a poor, single parent hippy type and we existed on lentils, millet, tofu and miso and brown rice and vegies. There's a certain style of Veg food (moosewood era, if anyone knows that) that while I will eat it brings back too many mom and hostel days memories for me. Like Robert Maxwell says I love savory flavors and years of eating mostly asian has meant I don't do the blandness of a lot of traditionally vegetarian meals. And there's no reason for it either.

J. if you like red onion a small amount can really zip up anything. You don't need much and they last for a long time in the fridge. I love it but it's one food that gives me a headache oddly, still it's a great way to zip up a meal.

Are you following a Low G.I. diet for the most part?
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 11:39 PM   #7
Kestra
Vice Admiral
 
Kestra's Avatar
 
Re: Going Veggie

That's awesome J! I can't do pure veg because I like beef too much, but I keep cutting back here and there. And yes the only time I really don't miss meat is when I'm in India because there is still so much flavor. I can only do that for like a month, tops, though.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 11:52 PM   #8
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: Going Veggie

Like J., I turned vegan a few years ago for various health reasons. I've never regretted my decision.

I admit it was a very difficult change. I too thought I liked meat way too much. Buffalo wings were my vice. I experience cravings for months, and really had to resist temptation. Then there was the period of detoxing that just made the whole experience worse.

However, a month or two passed, the cravings went away and I started feeling better than I ever had since high school. I had endless amounts of energy and the daily aches and pains a felt went away. I also lost about 40 pounds (and kept it off) without making any other changes to my lifestyle.

The hard part is finding stuff you like. It's easy to get into a rut of just eating the same things over and over again, and that's not very healthy either. One piece of advice I would give people who are thinking about it is find some recipes and try some things before you fully commit.

For example, I finally found a supplement to my buffalo fix. I take some of that Earth Balance spread and melt it in a small sauce pot. I add some garlic cloves, celery seed, finally chopped onion and cayenne pepper, some lime juice and let it simmer for awhile. Then I pour it into a zip bag with two whole portabellas and let them marinade over night.

I grill them up the next day and lay them on a toasted whole wheat kaiser bun with some tomato, red onion, romaine lettuce, and a spread I make by mashing up some avocados and mixing them with veganaise. It's delicious. I make it for myself every now and then and totally don't miss the buffalo wings.

Another word of warning is, like a traditional omnivorous diet, one still needs balance. Things like beans and other lentils, nuts, and whole grains are still important, as is a mix of fruits and vegetables. Fruit, for example, is very healthful on its own, but if you don't balance it out with other stuff, it will cause problems.

Also, it's important not to undertake something like this half-hearted. Removing meat (or animal products) can have an adverse effect on your body chemistry. The longer you go, the more true this is.

There are various anecdotes of people who went years without eating meat and then feasted during a holiday or whatever only to end up very sick--even in the hospital.

But as long as you do it right, it's a life style change I would recommend to anyone.

I would also suggest to those who might be thinking about it (or even those who aren't) to watch Forks Over Knives. It's available on Netfix, Amazon Instant, and iTunes. It provides a wealth of information.
CorporalClegg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 11:57 PM   #9
Gary7
Rear Admiral
 
Gary7's Avatar
 
Location: Near Manhattan ··· in an alternate reality
Re: Going Veggie

lurok wrote: View Post
I'll probably never go total veg, but eat meat less and less. Not for any particular ethical or health reason. Just don't feel like it. Like making things like greek salad, couscous and tabbouleh. Couscous must be the best fast food ever. Five minutes and done.
That's me. I recognize how meat is still an important part of being human. True, you can get by without it, but if you've been raised as an omnivore your body is well accustomed to (and benefits from) the intake of meat. The trouble that most people get into is eating too much of it, and often heavily fat saturated kinds. While I don't condone the Neanderthal diet (they did die out, afterall!), raw vegetables are very good for you but so is cooked meat on occasion.

But if health reasons necessitate eliminating meat, so be it--health is what is most important. However, if you can still be permitted to eat fish, pork, and chicken, I'd try not to eliminate those. Just eat sparingly. I find that when I do, I enjoy them all the more when I do eat them.
__________________
Remembering Ensign Mallory.
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 01:17 AM   #10
Santa Claus
Believe
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Going Veggie

KimM wrote: View Post
Congratulations and good luck! You'll soon reap the benefits of a healthier lifestyle!
Thanks, Kim! I hope so!

lurok wrote: View Post
I'll probably never go total veg, but eat meat less and less. Not for any particular ethical or health reason. Just don't feel like it. Like making things like greek salad, couscous and tabbouleh. Couscous must be the best fast food ever. Five minutes and done.
I love hummus, myself. A few pieces of whole grain pita, and some garlic hummus, and I am in heaven.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I really like meat. I think I could only do without it if I ate a lot of Indian food. I just love savory flavors and that's the thing I'd miss the most about meat.

For those of you here who are vegetarians or vegans, as long as it works for you, more power to you.
I'm probably going to figure out how to curry some veggies. I love the taste of curry, and that would add a real punch to some of the dishes I'm learning to make.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I know I could never go vegetarian or vegan. I just like eating meat too much. It's not a philosophical/moral issue that I can see; it's just that I eat meat, I enjoy it, I believe it's safe to do so (I have no health issues that would make it unsafe), and I leave it at that.

Now I also love eating vegetables, of course.
As long as you're happy and healthy, I say more power to you!

Also, as a fellow baseball fan, I understand the necessity of having the occasional hot dog at the ballpark.

teacake wrote: View Post
I think the flow on benefits from going veg will be a change in taste which will lead to less over fatty processed foods. That salad you describe is perfect IMO, you let the natural juices and flavors develop.

I'm not veg but grew up in a health food family (didn't have white bread until I was at least 15). My mom was a poor, single parent hippy type and we existed on lentils, millet, tofu and miso and brown rice and vegies. There's a certain style of Veg food (moosewood era, if anyone knows that) that while I will eat it brings back too many mom and hostel days memories for me. Like Robert Maxwell says I love savory flavors and years of eating mostly asian has meant I don't do the blandness of a lot of traditionally vegetarian meals. And there's no reason for it either.

J. if you like red onion a small amount can really zip up anything. You don't need much and they last for a long time in the fridge. I love it but it's one food that gives me a headache oddly, still it's a great way to zip up a meal.

Are you following a Low G.I. diet for the most part?
I'm pretty much following the G.I. diet, yes. For me, it's the safest way to go. I informed my doctor about what I'm doing, and he mentioned his love of steak and fish, but said that if I wanted some information, he had a couple of Glycemic Index booklets to give to me. Then he reiterated his enjoyment of steak and wished me luck.

When I was growing up, we had the "country cooking" diet, save that my mom used vegetable oil instead of lard. Otherwise, it was mostly heavy foods like pork chops, mashed potatoes, meatloaf, greasy salad, pot roast, lasagna, and so on.

Kestra wrote: View Post
That's awesome J! I can't do pure veg because I like beef too much, but I keep cutting back here and there. And yes the only time I really don't miss meat is when I'm in India because there is still so much flavor. I can only do that for like a month, tops, though.
Thanks, Kestra!
One of the nice things about having to learn these recipes is that I get to experiment with spices that I've never tried before, and I'm learning to like some veggies I once hated *cough*mushrooms*cough*.

As I said earlier in my post, I'm hoping to learn some good veggie curry dishes, as I like hot, spicy food.

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Like J., I turned vegan a few years ago for various health reasons. I've never regretted my decision.

I admit it was a very difficult change. I too thought I liked meat way too much. Buffalo wings were my vice. I experience cravings for months, and really had to resist temptation. Then there was the period of detoxing that just made the whole experience worse.

However, a month or two passed, the cravings went away and I started feeling better than I ever had since high school. I had endless amounts of energy and the daily aches and pains a felt went away. I also lost about 40 pounds (and kept it off) without making any other changes to my lifestyle.

The hard part is finding stuff you like. It's easy to get into a rut of just eating the same things over and over again, and that's not very healthy either. One piece of advice I would give people who are thinking about it is find some recipes and try some things before you fully commit.

For example, I finally found a supplement to my buffalo fix. I take some of that Earth Balance spread and melt it in a small sauce pot. I add some garlic cloves, celery seed, finally chopped onion and cayenne pepper, some lime juice and let it simmer for awhile. Then I pour it into a zip bag with two whole portabellas and let them marinade over night.

I grill them up the next day and lay them on a toasted whole wheat kaiser bun with some tomato, red onion, romaine lettuce, and a spread I make by mashing up some avocados and mixing them with veganaise. It's delicious. I make it for myself every now and then and totally don't miss the buffalo wings.

Another word of warning is, like a traditional omnivorous diet, one still needs balance. Things like beans and other lentils, nuts, and whole grains are still important, as is a mix of fruits and vegetables. Fruit, for example, is very healthful on its own, but if you don't balance it out with other stuff, it will cause problems.

Also, it's important not to undertake something like this half-hearted. Removing meat (or animal products) can have an adverse effect on your body chemistry. The longer you go, the more true this is.

There are various anecdotes of people who went years without eating meat and then feasted during a holiday or whatever only to end up very sick--even in the hospital.

But as long as you do it right, it's a life style change I would recommend to anyone.

I would also suggest to those who might be thinking about it (or even those who aren't) to watch Forks Over Knives. It's available on Netfix, Amazon Instant, and iTunes. It provides a wealth of information.
Ooh, I like the buffalo mushrooms idea. That might get me to actually enjoy mushrooms. I've been told for a vegetarian, mushrooms are as close to "meat" as it gets. There are things I'll have to learn, but I want to learn them, and what's nice is that this way I'm saving money. I've bought $8 worth of veggies and spices over the past two days (the spices being the most expensive part), and I haven't gone hungry once. My food is costing less than half of what it costs me to feed every other member of the family.

Gary7 wrote: View Post
That's me. I recognize how meat is still an important part of being human. True, you can get by without it, but if you've been raised as an omnivore your body is well accustomed to (and benefits from) the intake of meat. The trouble that most people get into is eating too much of it, and often heavily fat saturated kinds. While I don't condone the Neanderthal diet (they did die out, afterall!), raw vegetables are very good for you but so is cooked meat on occasion.

But if health reasons necessitate eliminating meat, so be it--health is what is most important. However, if you can still be permitted to eat fish, pork, and chicken, I'd try not to eliminate those. Just eat sparingly. I find that when I do, I enjoy them all the more when I do eat them.
Well, as I said in my initial post, meat was a take it or leave it kind of thing. I ate it because it was there, and because it was cheap, but now that I'm finding ways to save money while eating much healthier, I feel like I don't have to oblige the food budget by eating meat.

Still, like I said, if you can eat meat, and be healthy, and you're happy, I say more power to you!
__________________
---------
"I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe." - Susan Walker
---------
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 02:45 AM   #11
Bumbles861
Admiral
 
Bumbles861's Avatar
 
Location: bbailey861 in Kingston, ON
Re: Going Veggie

I enjoy a wide variety of meats but at the same time the wife and I often have meatless meals. Just depends what we feel like preparing. Good luck to you in your veggie endeavour.
Bumbles861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 03:02 AM   #12
Shanndee
Commodore
 
Shanndee's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Re: Going Veggie

I know i won't going completely vegetarian (and my husband would probably leave me if I did!) but I definitely want to increase the amount of vegetables in my (our) diet.

I am really inspired by the ideas everyone has been suggesting. Can anyone share some good sites for flavourful veggie recipes with me?
__________________
"Nolite te bastardes carborundorum" Margaret Atwood

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 03:06 AM   #13
trampledamage
Clone
 
trampledamage's Avatar
 
Location: hitching a ride to Erebor
Re: Going Veggie

Thanks for the thread, J. - I'm always meaning to try new vegetarian recipes (I have two picky eaters in my kids - and me too , and young master trampledamage hates the texture of meat so I figure I've got a better chance with veggies!) but I get lazy and forget to look for some.

I've just found a recipe for spinach and ricotta lasagna for the slow cooker that I'm going to try


Shanndee - my go to recipe site is www.allrecipes.com and they have a vegetarian section, but most often I just google what I'm looking for and see what turns up
__________________
Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence - Dr. McCoy

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 03:12 AM   #14
Gul Re'jal
Commodore
 
Gul Re'jal's Avatar
 
Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station
Re: Going Veggie

I went veggie 20 years ago when I was still a teenager. Hated meat all my life, so it wasn't any sort of sacrifice for me, more of a liberation

Enjoy discovering new flavours and dishes, J.. Internet and book stores are full of great veggie recipes When I'm back home, I'll find some links I have bookmarked and share some of the recipes
__________________
Archer: "You're going to drown my dog?! "
Phlox: "Only for an hour, Captain... "
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 03:22 AM   #15
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Going Veggie

If you want to try curries J. a slow cooker is great. You just put anything you have in there, it's hard to go wrong.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
beans, fruit, meatless, musical, vegetarian

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.