MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 20 2013, 10:38 AM   #31
at Quark's
Lieutenant

Re: The Worf & Troi romance... what are your thoughts on it?

While I agree that gradually they became closer friends since about S5, and I liked the concept in 'parallels', a relation between them in prime-universe just felt contrived to me -- kind of a 'let's pair up cast X and Y for fun and see what happens!'-feeling to it, rather than being a genuine relationship.

I guess I would 've been only marginally more surprised had Worf ended up with Riker, asking Troi permission for that.
at Quark's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2013, 12:26 PM   #32
Captain Picard.
Lieutenant Commander

R. Star wrote: View Post
It was season 7 and they were running out of plot ideas.
Exactly it was stupid lets face it Troi and Will have a special relationship and I don't think Worf could break that up.
Captain Picard. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2013, 02:56 PM   #33
Lance
Fleet Captain

Captain Picard. wrote: View Post
lets face it Troi and Will have a special relationship and I don't think Worf could break that up.
http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/x.../worf_troi.jpg
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2013, 08:02 PM   #34
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

I like Worf and Troi, but I prefer Riker and Troi. I was dismayed that they put Worf and Troi together when they did, so close to the end of TNG when I'd been rooting for Riker and Troi for so long. In the end, though, it all came out right.

WillsBabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2013, 08:47 PM   #35
Captain Picard.
Lieutenant Commander

Lance wrote: View Post
lets face it Troi and Will have a special relationship and I don't think Worf could break that up.
http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/x.../worf_troi.jpg
They are not meant for each other they are just not right for each other (and I am not saying that because he is Klingon) It was a stupid story line in the first place they just wanted to make conflict between Worf and Riker best friend v best friend.
Captain Picard. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 04:17 PM   #36
Lance
Fleet Captain

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
I like Worf and Troi, but I prefer Riker and Troi. I was dismayed that they put Worf and Troi together when they did, so close to the end of TNG when I'd been rooting for Riker and Troi for so long. In the end, though, it all came out right.
If there's only one thing I think we should all be able to agree Insurrection and Nemesis got right, it was finally stopping with all the teasing and just putting those two together at long last.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 11:43 PM   #37
R. Star
Rear Admiral

It was season 7 and they were running out of plot ideas.
Exactly it was stupid lets face it Troi and Will have a special relationship and I don't think Worf could break that up.
Apparently Troi really liked Riker a lot to let him string her along for 7+ years, while he's off doing every alien chick of the week.

Troi really didn't date around that much... just that Ral guy from the Price, Worf, the Riker clone and... I can't think of anyone else really.
Old January 22 2013, 12:22 AM   #38
JustKate
Rear Admiral

I really, really, really dislike contrived, exploit-it-when-it's-useful-ignore-it-when-it's-not romances, and if you ask me, which you kinda did, they don't get much more contrived, used when it's useful and ignored when it's not than Riker/Troi. I was sick of it before the end of the first season, so you can imagine how I felt when it dragged on and on and on and on and on. Therefore, I was delighted with the Worf/Troi romance. It felt far less contrived than Riker/Troi - at least it wasn't alternatively exploited and ignored...until Worf moved to DS9, when it was ignored. That's only thing I didn't like about it. They couldn't have allowed Worf 30 seconds of screentime to explain that he'd had this relationship that broke up when he got a new assignment? That was careless and unnecessary. But other than that, I liked it. A lot.
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 12:27 AM   #39
NewHorizon
Captain

Worf and Troi never worked. It felt fake. The writers really should have known better. Kind of like Trip and T'pol on Enterprise, they worked better to some degree but the real chemistry was with Archer. I guess the writers just wanted to go against what came naturally.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 12:27 AM   #40
R. Star
Rear Admiral

JustKate wrote: View Post
I really, really, really dislike contrived, exploit-it-when-it's-useful-ignore-it-when-it's-not romances, and if you ask me, which you kinda did, they don't get much more contrived, used when it's useful and ignored when it's not than Riker/Troi. I was sick of it before the end of the first season, so you can imagine how I felt when it dragged on and on and on and on and on. Therefore, I was delighted with the Worf/Troi romance. It felt far less contrived than Riker/Troi - at least it wasn't alternatively exploited and ignored...until Worf moved to DS9, when it was ignored. That's only thing I didn't like about it. They couldn't have allowed Worf 30 seconds of screentime to explain that he'd had this relationship that broke up when he got a new assignment? That was careless and unnecessary. But other than that, I liked it. A lot.
I figured Worf and Troi were broken up by Generations. There was no indication at all they were together in any fashion. Heck he was letting Data shield her when the ship crashed. But yes, I agree a line in the movie about them not being together anymore would've been nice.
Old January 22 2013, 12:36 AM   #41
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I think it made sense that they attempted to have a relationship, but it doesn't make any sense that in All Good Things' future it lasted for years.

Having a physical attraction between Worf and Deanna makes a lot of sense just purely on the basis that they are complete complements. But they would never get along with each other in a long term relationship.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 12:45 AM   #42
JustKate
Rear Admiral

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
Worf and Troi never worked. It felt fake. The writers really should have known better. Kind of like Trip and T'pol on Enterprise, they worked better to some degree but the real chemistry was with Archer. I guess the writers just wanted to go against what came naturally.
Fake it might have been, but it couldn't possibly be faker - and by that I mean more contrived and less like actual real life - than what passed for a romance between Riker and Troi. That was fake. I've seen plenty of unlikely couples - admittedly none involving a Klingon and a Betazoid - but I have never in real life met anybody who could, so long as it furthered the plot, ignore a great undying love for seven years, and all while seeing the object of this great love every single day. Yet that's what we're supposed to think was the case with Riker and Troi. Ridiculous.

(And it isn't helped by the fact that, for me, almost nobody is worse at a love scene than Jonathan Frakes, who always comes across as smarmy and insincere even when he's supposed to be in the throes of passion.)

Such conveniently disposable romances happen on TV a lot, not merely Trek, and I hate it everytime. It's not right to expect viewers to take characters seriously if the writers don't.

I figured Worf and Troi were broken up by Generations. There was no indication at all they were together in any fashion. Heck he was letting Data shield her when the ship crashed. But yes, I agree a line in the movie about them not being together anymore would've been nice.
Good point. I forgot about that.
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 12:51 AM   #43
T'Preea
Commander

View T'Preea's Twitter Profile

Worf and Troi getting together may have worked as a "concept", but nothing more. It just didn't seem right. I mean, as the years went by; they developed a deeper friendship, but I can't imagine it being any more than that.
Old January 23 2013, 06:04 AM   #44
Worf'sParmach
Commander

I wonder if the hindsight factor, the fact that by now we know Riker and Troi are going to get married and that Worf is going to move to DS9 and marry Dax makes this relationship seem more out of left field. I'm wondering if this question were posed before those things happened, would the general opinion be different. Cause when it happened, way before Insurection and Nemesis (and Worf on DS9) I rememebr thinking that at least Worf was willing to pay some attention to Deanna, unlike Commander No Commitment.

Just a thought...
Old January 23 2013, 06:52 PM   #45
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

JustKate wrote: View Post
(And it isn't helped by the fact that, for me, almost nobody is worse at a love scene than Jonathan Frakes, who always comes across as smarmy and insincere even when he's supposed to be in the throes of passion.)
Don't mince words, what do you really think?

WillsBabe is online now   Reply With Quote