RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,352
Posts: 5,502,877
Members: 25,121
Currently online: 647
Newest member: MsMarrielle

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 18 2013, 05:26 AM   #1
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
She couldna' take anyomre, Captain!

Some years ago I picked up one of the Art Asylum TOS E's and displayed it on my dresser. This was before PL released their nice little 1/1000 scale TOS E and long before Round2's 1/350 scale TOS E.

It was one tough ship. The stand wasn't the best of designs and over the years the ship took a header off the stand, hitting the edge of the dresser and then straight to the floor. And yet in all that pounding it never broke one little thing. A shame I couldn't say that about a number of AMT TOS E's over the years that would break if you sneezed in their direction.

But all things end and late last week I heard a thunk and found the AA ship on the floor again. This time, though she didn't escape unscathed. It fell on its topside and jammed the bridge disguised switch down into the saucer and in the on position. I wasn't getting any sounds, but the lights wouldn't stop flashing and I can't dislodge the switch. Additionally the lower sensor dome had come loose and fallen up (or down) into the saucer. This thing is done without taking it apart which this replica wasn't built to do.

While she lasted several years I couldn't help but think of the model kits I've had and lost due to "accidents." One memorable loss wasn't mine, but my brother-in-law's when we were kids. He was running around his yard with an AMT E held aloft in one hand and ran it smack into an apple hanging from one of their apple trees. It ripped loose one of the nacelles to leave it dangling by the light wires. He had such a stunned look on his face. All I could say was, "That's done it. She's finished."


Anyone else with tales of "lost" ships?
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?

Last edited by Warped9; November 18 2013 at 07:56 AM.
Warped9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Green Shirt
Rear Admiral
 
Green Shirt's Avatar
 
Location: More than slightly off center
Re: She couldna' take anyomre, Captain!

Not a Trek model story, but one that stands out most in my mind. In my teens, one of my favorite model kits were old sailing ships. I would spend hours rigging the ships with sewing thread. Almost immediately after finishing one model, one of my sisters walked past the ship I placed on a bookshelf and knocked it straight to the floor snapping all the masts off. I swore up and down she did that deliberately, until my parents took up for her by saying I shouldn't have placed it in such a bad location.
__________________
Its not easy being green.
Green Shirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 04:39 PM   #3
Albertese
Commodore
 
Albertese's Avatar
 
Location: Portland, OR
Re: She couldna' take anyomre, Captain!

Let me start by saying that, now that I'm an adult, me and my mom have a very healthy relationship, but when I was a teenager, we were at each other's throats. One time during a verbal dust-up, she grabbed an 18" AMT E I had built when I was 8 (second kit I ever assembled) and smashed it. Defiantly, I told her I could just fix it, so she picked up the port nacelle and twisted it around til it broke the two halves... done.

Not long after that, she went into therapy and started getting better. I took the remainder of the kit and converted it into a FJ-type Scout/Destroyer.

--Alex
__________________
Check out my website: www.goldtoothstudio.squarespace.com
Albertese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 06:43 PM   #4
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: She couldna' take anyomre, Captain!

Albertese wrote: View Post
Let me start by saying that, now that I'm an adult, me and my mom have a very healthy relationship, but when I was a teenager, we were at each other's throats. One time during a verbal dust-up, she grabbed an 18" AMT E I had built when I was 8 (second kit I ever assembled) and smashed it. Defiantly, I told her I could just fix it, so she picked up the port nacelle and twisted it around til it broke the two halves... done.

Not long after that, she went into therapy and started getting better. I took the remainder of the kit and converted it into a FJ-type Scout/Destroyer.

--Alex
Ouch! For an eight year old that would have been heartbreaking.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 09:53 PM   #5
Albertese
Commodore
 
Albertese's Avatar
 
Location: Portland, OR
Re: She couldna' take anyomre, Captain!

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Albertese wrote: View Post
Let me start by saying that, now that I'm an adult, me and my mom have a very healthy relationship, but when I was a teenager, we were at each other's throats. One time during a verbal dust-up, she grabbed an 18" AMT E I had built when I was 8 (second kit I ever assembled) and smashed it. Defiantly, I told her I could just fix it, so she picked up the port nacelle and twisted it around til it broke the two halves... done.

Not long after that, she went into therapy and started getting better. I took the remainder of the kit and converted it into a FJ-type Scout/Destroyer.

--Alex
Ouch! For an eight year old that would have been heartbreaking.
Ah, allow me to clarify... the model was built when I was eight, but this episode occurred when I was a teenager... fifteen give or take? But the model was a big deal for me, given that it was my first Trek kit. And, to be fair to my mom, she did apologize later... don't let me paint her like a monster!

--Alex
__________________
Check out my website: www.goldtoothstudio.squarespace.com
Albertese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 10:43 PM   #6
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: She couldna' take anyomre, Captain!

I remember when I was a kid and tried to put together the refit model and screwed it up pretty bad making my Dad plenty mad. Fast forward a decade and a half, I buy the model, put it together, painted it and the works.

Three days later, my wife walks by and knocked it off the dresser. I was devastated.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 02:33 AM   #7
NTRPRZ
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Delaware
Re: She couldna' take anyomre, Captain!

This isn't a Trek story, either, though I had plenty of Enterprise kits that met with their demise in many different ways.
I had made a Jupiter II out of a couple of plates, some papier mache and half an oxygen tank from a Gemini model kit. I also made a "crashed" planet scene using a box, rocks, trees branches and kitty litter.
Yes, we had a cat, and you can imagine what happened after that.
__________________
Jeff Brown
Original Trek Fan
NTRPRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 03:31 AM   #8
mach7
Commander
 
mach7's Avatar
 
Re: She couldna' take anyomre, Captain!

I built a few that took some Black Cat photon torpedo hits back in the day. Not really accidental though. They had been damaged before but the fire crackers finished them off.

I also had one that fell from the ceiling. That was a mess.
mach7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 04:32 AM   #9
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain
 
LMFAOschwarz's Avatar
 
Re: She couldna' take anyomre, Captain!

Mine's not a Trek story either, but years ago a friend of mine was building a model of the Titanic in his parents' basement. It was one of those big models with about a billion little pieces. Anyhow, prior to completing it, the basement had flooded during a storm, and his Titanic ended up getting submerged in water!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 05:08 AM   #10
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: She couldna' take anyomre, Captain!

^^

It just had to be I suppose.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 09:18 AM   #11
Green Shirt
Rear Admiral
 
Green Shirt's Avatar
 
Location: More than slightly off center
Re: She couldna' take anyomre, Captain!

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Mine's not a Trek story either, but years ago a friend of mine was building a model of the Titanic in his parents' basement. It was one of those big models with about a billion little pieces. Anyhow, prior to completing it, the basement had flooded during a storm, and his Titanic ended up getting submerged in water!

Did you get to yell "I'm king of the world!" before it went down?
__________________
Its not easy being green.
Green Shirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 11:20 PM   #12
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain
 
LMFAOschwarz's Avatar
 
Re: She couldna' take anyomre, Captain!

Green Shirt wrote: View Post
LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Mine's not a Trek story either, but years ago a friend of mine was building a model of the Titanic in his parents' basement. It was one of those big models with about a billion little pieces. Anyhow, prior to completing it, the basement had flooded during a storm, and his Titanic ended up getting submerged in water!

Did you get to yell "I'm king of the world!" before it went down?
Ah, if only I'd been there....
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 01:25 AM   #13
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral
 
Olive, the Other Reindeer's Avatar
 
Location: scotpens
Re: She couldna' take anyomre, Captain!

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Mine's not a Trek story either, but years ago a friend of mine was building a model of the Titanic in his parents' basement. It was one of those big models with about a billion little pieces. Anyhow, prior to completing it, the basement had flooded during a storm, and his Titanic ended up getting submerged in water!
How very un-ironic!
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
Olive, the Other Reindeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 12:32 AM   #14
Green Shirt
Rear Admiral
 
Green Shirt's Avatar
 
Location: More than slightly off center
Re: She couldna' take anyomre, Captain!

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Green Shirt wrote: View Post
LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Mine's not a Trek story either, but years ago a friend of mine was building a model of the Titanic in his parents' basement. It was one of those big models with about a billion little pieces. Anyhow, prior to completing it, the basement had flooded during a storm, and his Titanic ended up getting submerged in water!

Did you get to yell "I'm king of the world!" before it went down?
Ah, if only I'd been there....
Oh, it was a friend of yours - I didn't notice that. I have a tendency to skip over words when I read.
__________________
Its not easy being green.
Green Shirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 02:09 AM   #15
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain
 
LMFAOschwarz's Avatar
 
Re: She couldna' take anyomre, Captain!

Green Shirt wrote: View Post
Oh, it was a friend of yours - I didn't notice that. I have a tendency to skip over words when I read.
That's okay, Green Shirt.

I wish I had been. The story was funny, and we both had a big laugh when he told it to me!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.