A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 22 2013, 05:44 PM   #31
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: USS Enterprise the real Deal!!

I'd rather work towards feeding the hungry and fixing other issues on this planet before spending trillions on something useless.
Old January 22 2013, 07:23 PM   #32
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Wow, you know, somebody mentioned this exact same thing exactly one week ago!

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=200455

And it's on this exact same page! Too bad you didn't read it first, it would have saved you the trouble of typing it all over again.
Old January 22 2013, 10:16 PM   #33
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Gravity wheel? Nuclear reactor?

Without artifical gravity plating and a matter/antimatter warp core, what's the point?
Old January 24 2013, 01:55 AM   #34
Spearsab
Ensign

Re: Do you want to see the Enterprise in your lifetime?

Last edited by Spearsab; January 24 2013 at 02:10 AM.
Spearsab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 02:03 AM   #35
Spearsab
Ensign

Garrovick
I do not mean to offend however; I don’t think you even considered this long enough to check it out. Not only is it practical but It would employ 10s of thousands of people for at least 20 years, maybe more. The Mars missions could give us continued technological feedback on just about everything we use in space. With a stable and sound platform the USS Enterprise could become a home away from home. And space, nearby moons, and asteroids would inherently seem not so far way. So as far as practical, I guess you have to determine if space is or was ever practical.

I would love to see the USS Enterprise fully envisioned as it has been portrayed in all the series however, I do also understand that we need to start somewhere and, I am not rocket scientist but if you read the website it seems feasible. A multi-functional vehicle is just what NASA and Space needs. The Moon missions, Mars missions, and Asteroid mission, both mining and study, are just the start. I am not part of the effort just a REALY enthusiastic space lover, but I could see us establishing asteroid and moon bases out further away such as Jupiter or even further.

As far as the “possible benefits” I cannot begin to describe the “possible benefits” but, if you look just at what the mission to the moon got us, from Velcro to Food storage, Propulsion to water and air filtering, from firefighting gear to LEDs, I think the benefits are WELL worth the cost.

I do understand that once you build the facilities to build, store, and maintain the equipment for the vessel you still have to maintain it. But what does that mean? It means Thousands if not 10s of thousands of jobs created out of “You gotta Dream” idea that will further the human race for millennia to come.

Identifying planets is not the hard part, per say. Getting there is. The closest inhabitable planet is Alpha Centauri Bb, 4.4 Light Years away.
Not exactly a stroll around the block.
But do you know what a stroll around the block is? Mars, Earth’s Moon, the asteroid belt.

I’m just saying. It’s like our solar system has all these places to go and not one wants to. Come on Just get in the car.?!.

Balrog

We are still working on light speed travel and deflector shields. The proposed USS Enterprise design would use Ion thrust engines which would create little acceleration over a short distant but a lot over a large one. Right now it is not as important as getting us in space.

Silvercrest

Check out the website. He covers the gravity issue on the website.

This is all just my opinion though. I just encourage everyone, even if you don't think if possible, feasable, or practical, or if you are just a party pooper, to go and check out the website. I think if will convince you.
Old January 24 2013, 03:10 AM   #36
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

It didn't.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 05:29 AM   #37
magarity
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd be happy with a high speed probe sent out of the solar system with purpose built instruments to measure the solar boundary phenomena the Voyager probes are encountering. A solar sail craft could get up to 60K miles per second and get out there and beyond in just a few years.
magarity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 06:32 AM   #38
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Spearsab wrote: View Post
Check out the website. He covers the gravity issue on the website.
Centrifugal force and gravity are not the same things.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 04:30 PM   #39
Spearsab
Ensign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=VMafReWFSfE

Simulated gravity is what we have for now. We can't create gravity because we don't how it is made, we just know how it effects things in space.

However if we generate a force that acts like gravity then I think it is mission accomplished.

So Centrifugal Force is not the same but equal to gravity.
Old January 24 2013, 04:34 PM   #40
Spearsab
Ensign

Silvercrest I guess you missed it then. Here is a link.

http://www.buildtheenterprise.org/gravity-wheel
Old January 24 2013, 04:48 PM   #41
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

No, I saw it just fine. But you thought it would convince me. It didn't.
Old January 24 2013, 04:57 PM   #42
Spearsab
Ensign

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
No, I saw it just fine. But you thought it would convince me. It didn't.
O' I miss understood. Well I'm sorry it didn't convince you.

I feel we have the technology within our reach to achieve space occupation and the economy that it would create, I think, is invaluable. But if we are going to wait until everything is perfect and up to date for our Sci-Fi expectations then we will never get there.

On the Moon Mission they used what they had and made what they didn't. They didn't worry about warp drives, deflector shields, or gravity they made it happen and we benefit for generations.

I think there are few things that humanity will stop bickering and come together to achieve and the space program, when it was progressive, was one of them.
Old January 24 2013, 05:17 PM   #43
Draculasaurus
Lieutenant Commander

I like the idea of a solar system cruiser a lot!
I don't think the flat, wide saucer works very well for centrifugal "gravity" though.
It seems like a terrible waste of space and materials to just have full "gravity" at the relatively tiny outer rim.
A big fat squatty cylinder seems like a better idea.
Wouldn't look as cool though.
Draculasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 05:26 PM   #44
marksound
Fleet Captain

Frankly, I don't want to see an Enterprise until it can do everything the 'historical documents' depict. It would be really embarrassing for aliens to make first contact only to find out we're just pretending to have warp drive.

Nothing worse than a Vulcan laughing at you.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 08:40 PM   #45
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Look, here's the problem. You're not building the real Enterprise. Repeating that over and over isn't going to make it any more true.

You're building a mobile space habitat that happens to be shaped more or less like the Enterprise. And no one here has said anything convincing about why it should be shaped that way, other than, "It would be kewl!" Because there's no good reason to shape it that way.

That website talks about "form following function". It tries to convince us that the ship's main function is to inspire all of humanity and that this is the best form for that purpose.

Who says that's true? What makes it so awe-inspiring to anyone other than Trekkies? You give us a survey that proves that specific form is more inspiring to most of the people on Earth than any other. Heck, even a significant number of people. Say a tenth of the population, 700 million people. Then you'll have a case.

Until then, all you're doing is aping the outline of a fictional ship with no other commonalities. It will be a different size. Different internal layout. Different power source. Different propulsion (and located in different places). Different speed and range.

Why bother?

Not to say that the whole concept is invalid. It has validity. But trying to make it look like the Enterprise or tie it into Trek is a pointless exercise in geekdom that's likely to turn off any of your audience that don't happen to be Trekkies.

You could make the exact same proposal for a ship that is shaped differently and more efficiently (wherein form really does follow function) with no Trek connection. The proposal would be equally valid. More valid, probably.

Can you sell that on anyone? That should be the first question. If the answer is no, then you sure won't convince anyone of the Enterprise thing.