A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 16 2013, 03:35 AM   #16
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: I am going Down Under!

1001001 wrote: View Post
My experience was that Foster's is their Budwesier. It's relatively cheap and sells a lot, but no one considers it to be "good beer".
But it is, in fact, Australian? I didn't know that. I thought the whole thing was faked.
That reminds of a joke I heard in Australia:

Q: Why is American Beer like making love in a canoe?
A: Because it's fucking close to water!
Did you hear that before, or after, Eric Idle said it in Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl?
Old January 16 2013, 03:53 AM   #17
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Well, it was 1987. And I've never seen that film, so....

I think Fosters is licensed for brewing all over the place, but originally from Australia. I could be wrong on that, though.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 04:34 AM   #18
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

They don't sell Fosters in a lot of places, the bottle shop and supermarket nearest me don't have it. And I have not seen anyone drink it in decades. Cafes and restaurants don't carry it. I think it exists mostly as export.

We do have MANY wonderful beers, including mainstream commercial ones.

Oh and as to cheap, taxes make sure beer is not cheap here compared to the US. There''s no super cheap ones. Cheapest you could possibly go would be 12.00 for a sixpack of not great beer on super sale, most of the time expect to pay several dollars more than that for non-craft beer.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 06:29 AM   #19
Jono
Rear Admiral

QLDers are sports crazy so you should consider going see a game of something. Cricket is the main sport at the moment and the football (soccer) professional club comp also going on, but in the next two months Rugby Union. Rugby League, and AFL (the main three football codes) professional club seasons will start. You probably wouldn't want to go on your own, not for safety so much as it is always more fun to go with someone who knows the game and is a fan.

Oh, and it is Australian law that if you are staying for over a month you must come to love Vegemite.

Last edited by Jono; January 16 2013 at 06:41 AM.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 06:39 AM   #20
teacake
Admiral

You MUST love it, yes. You must. Spread it thinly, with butter. Very thinly. Eventually you may work your way up to slathering it on with a trowel but thin is still good

Also, don't look at the Picture thread for a few days. Wait until the horror has passed and it's back to people's cats.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 16 2013, 06:57 AM   #21
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Awww... rats.

From the title, I was kind of expecting naughty talk.

Sadly, I never made it to Australia. I did the Pacific Rim tour and deployed in Latin America and Greneda. London and UK was beautiful to visit. Otherwise, most of my travel has been across the US.

Have a great time in the Outback or wherever you travel.
Old January 16 2013, 07:39 AM   #22
teacake
Admiral

I am so excited for Naira. Australians love to show people around and are very proud of their cities and fauna and beaches etc.. I'm hoping she has a great time and gets to see lots

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 16 2013, 08:00 AM   #23
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Awesome news. As others have said - Brisbane is a great city. It's been a while since I was there. Need to do another visit.

And on the beer - haven't seen Fosters in ages, but quite sure that the company that brews it makes many others.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 10:35 AM   #24
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Congratulations, Naira! My sister is a students excange coordinator at a German university and has been vsiting a lot of partner universities all over the world. I'll ask her if she has been to Brisbane and might be able to give you a few sightseeing tips.
Old January 16 2013, 10:50 AM   #25
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Good luck and have fun.

I've got the short end of the stick here. The only place I'm flying to today is North Dakota. And it's snowing here, so my flight out may have issues.

Edit - Just checked the weather channel. There's a mix of snow and sleet today where I'm going. Whee!
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 01:12 PM   #26
Australis
Writer

If you're in Brisbane and you get some time off, go to the Great Barrier Reef, in Far Nth Qld. It will be worth every second and every dollar. Try here for a start:

http://www.1770reefcruises.com/
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 03:46 PM   #27
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

teacake wrote: View Post
I am so excited for Naira. Australians love to show people around and are very proud of their cities and fauna and beaches etc.. I'm hoping she has a great time and gets to see lots
This was very true in my case. Everyone at my school wanted to take me home, show me their town, give me a home cooked meal. People would just come up to my dorm room and knock on the door "I hear you're from America!".

As for vegemite....

We all arrived in Sydney, slept for a day, and then went through two days of orientation at a retreat before being sent to our respective universities. There was my first exposure to vegemite. Like most idiots from elsewhere, I treated it like peanut butter, with a nice big spread across toast. Yikes.

Definitely, thin layer with butter...delicious!
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 05:56 PM   #28
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Hope you have a great trip, Naira! You may want to watch out for possum attacks though.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 09:17 PM   #29
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

sorry my sister has no tips for Brisbane. She's responsible only for exchanges with unis in North America, Europe and Asia.
A German travelling site's survey resulted in the following top 10:

#1 CityCat Ferry
#2 South Bank Parklands
#3 Riverlife Adventure Center
#4 Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
#5 Catholic Old St Stephen's Church
#6 Suncorp Stadium
#7 Brisbane Botanic Gardens
#8 Roma Street Parkland
#9 The Brisbane River
#10 Queensland Art Gallery

I would also like to add:
Mt Coot-tha
Queensland Performing Arts Center
Science Center
St Helena Island
Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium

Btw, the afore mentioned German site recommends buying the Gold Coast Card. With it you get cheaper rates for ferries and buses. (But that refers to the needs of tourists. Maybe there are even better rates for monthly or weekly cards or special rates for students.)
You can also get useful tips at your local students exchange office. And of course from your fellow students.

This might also be useful (esp. the "getting started" mentioned in chapter "Orientation") http://www.studyabroad.wisc.edu/prog...program_id=278

Here is a lot of info about the costs and the university itself. On page 4 there's a list of the students exchange coordinators which might be useful in case you have a problem. http://www.studyabroad.wisc.edu/stud...on%20Sheet.pdf
Old January 17 2013, 05:33 AM   #30
Jono
Rear Admiral

Brisbane just got rated as the third most expensive city in terms of public transport (behind London and Oslo), so it would be a good idea to ask someone how to minimise the cost if you're going to depend on it.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote