Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 3 2014, 10:14 PM   #181
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: ELEMENTARY - News, Reviews, and Discussion

I have a time share in a private jet, which I use to travel back and forth from England to America almost weekly, to keep on top of all the new unfolding TV in the more civilizaed parts of the world and Australia.

So, yes, yes it was nice to see the two Holmes shows back to back.

(There used to be a series called NYLon (New York - London) about Vampire Bill from True Blood in a long distance love affair with Rashida Jones. They flew back and forth across the Atlantic Ocean at least twice every episode to keep on top of their love life. Men are supposed kill dragons for girls like Rashida, so using up three life times worth of air mile points in a month doesn't seem like any sort of mismanagement of resources.)

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2014, 02:13 AM   #182
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Is no one still watching Elementary?

Last night's episode -- someone's making lots of anthrax -- was a mixed bag.

The mystery -- who's making lots of anthrax and why -- wasn't very compelling and, to be honest, I didn't care a great deal about it.

The b-plot -- Holmes dealing with his grief at the death of his friend Alistair (Cheers alum Roger Rees) -- was, honestly, far more compelling. I was honestly moved by Jonny Lee Miller's performance; he conveyed a Holmes in anguish very well indeed.

I feel, though, that killing Alistair was a waste; I liked that the character existed in general, that Holmes had someone he would call a friend.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2014, 02:38 AM   #183
sojourner
Vice Admiral

The show has been coasting for the last few episodes. Not much to discuss.
Old April 12 2014, 03:12 AM   #184
Christopher
Writer

Yeah, this felt too much like a standard cop-procedural ratings-grab plot. "Ooh, let's do a terrorism episode!" And once again, the guest casting telegraphed who the baddie was (although I never would've recognized Garrett Dillahunt with that beard if I hadn't seen his name in the credits). And yes, killing off Roger Rees's character was a total waste, although the doubts and feelings it raised in Sherlock were worthwhile.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2014, 09:00 PM   #185
Aldo
Admiral

I still enjoy the show and found this recent episode compelling, but I'm really getting tired of them splitting up Holmes and Watson and giving them each their own story. They work best as a duo and I hate seeing them split up like this.
Old April 13 2014, 08:10 PM   #186
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Yeah, this felt too much like a standard cop-procedural ratings-grab plot. "Ooh, let's do a terrorism episode!" And once again, the guest casting telegraphed who the baddie was (although I never would've recognized Garrett Dillahunt with that beard if I hadn't seen his name in the credits).
It doesn't speak well when I, who usually let half of the details fly over my head, figured it was the cows and the brother the moment they went to his farm. And I have no idea who the actor is. Though to be fair, I thought it would be either the brother or the cows, not both, so the insurance plot did fly over my head indeed.

But the mysteries on the show have been a hit and miss anyway, as they are often based on unrealistic premises that hardly hold themselves together. The scam that got Moriarty in the first season made absolutely no sense, in what was otherwise a very thrilling story, and that was somewhat of a downer.

But I hate mysteries anyway, so who cares. Especially if they never make sense in any show and you can't resolve them, what's the point of having them? I am watching for the drama, and I thought this episode has its fine moments. The B-plot was fantastic, and even the crime story was worthy – a plot to kill cows with anthrax is ridiculous enough, besides it put Joan's expertise into good use, something that I always love to see.

My main gripe is that the accent never came into use.

And yes, killing off Roger Rees's character was a total waste, although the doubts and feelings it raised in Sherlock were worthwhile.
Before he actually appeared on screen, I thought the actor had passed away or something, and they were doing a tribute of sorts for a role they had otherwise planned to be recurring. Not seeing him again outside of flashbacks kinda sucks, especially when they expanded the backstory significantly this time. It's a bizarre choice, but it worked really well. It did more than save the episode, it made me love it.

Besides, Holmes' sloppiness and lack of interest really added a vibe to the story that said "who cares about the damn anthrax, just say it's the cows and be done with it".

By the way, could it be that Allistair's not really dead? (I hope they don't pull that off, because it would suck after this episode, so, just as a though.)
Old May 16 2014, 04:17 PM   #187
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Last night's Elementary was the season finale -- Mycroft Holmes has been framed for the murder of Arthur Cadogan West, and Sherlock has to find out who's framing his brother and clear his name.

This may have been the most Moffat-y Elementary episode ever. By that I mean, there were a number of scenes that were very good individually, but added together they don't make a heck of a lot of sense. I'm not clear, for instance, why Sherrington had turned traitor on MI-6. Nor was there any explained motive for framing Mycroft, except that he was a convenient scapegoat. The plot, such as it was, existed as a framework on which to hang a number of character scenes as the two regulars (and guest star Mycroft) had conversations about issues and danced around other issues.

And those issues! This episode really feels like a nuclear bomb on the series' format -- Watson is moving out, Holmes loses his brother, and his carefully constructed world is crumbling. Why the heroin? Why MI-6? Seems that the third season could be Holmes' descent into darkness as he tries to make sense of his shifting life and his brother's sacrifice.

There was something wrong with my television during the final scene with Mycroft; the screen turned blurry. Must've been the storm passing through the area.

allyngibson.net
Old May 16 2014, 04:30 PM   #188
Christopher
Writer

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
This may have been the most Moffat-y Elementary episode ever. By that I mean, there were a number of scenes that were very good individually, but added together they don't make a heck of a lot of sense.
I had a similar thought for a different reason. The episode seemed to have more quotes from the Doyle canon than usual. Like, "Data! Data! Data! I cannot make bricks without clay!" from "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches." Or about Mycroft, from "The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter": "...he has no ambition and no energy. He will not even go out of his way to verify his own solutions, and would rather be considered wrong than take the trouble to prove himself right."

I'm not clear, for instance, why Sherrington had turned traitor on MI-6. Nor was there any explained motive for framing Mycroft, except that he was a convenient scapegoat.
When Mycroft confronted him in the restaurant, Sherrington said he was frustrated by the glass ceiling that blocked him from the senior ranks because of his working-class origins. And he showed contempt for Mycroft's upper-class origins and the way his family's money and power could let them get away with anything. So I think there was some personal resentment there.

And those issues! This episode really feels like a nuclear bomb on the series' format -- Watson is moving out, Holmes loses his brother, and his carefully constructed world is crumbling. Why the heroin? Why MI-6? Seems that the third season could be Holmes' descent into darkness as he tries to make sense of his shifting life and his brother's sacrifice.
I'm not a big fan of season finales that have everything go wrong at once in order to contrive a big cliffhanger. Did Joan really have to decide to move out now, on top of everything else? Although I suppose it makes some sense here, since it was her thing with Mycroft that catalyzed her decision.

Still, John Watson didn't always live at 221B Baker Street in the canon. He eventually got married and moved out. So Sherlock and Joan could certainly adapt, if there weren't so much piling on Sherlock right now that he's on the verge of a relapse. I just hope things don't get too bad next season. I'd rather see him come close to a relapse but get saved just in time, rather than fall back into the abyss. And I hope the MI-6 thing is temporary.

Oh, well. At least it's not as extreme and cartoonily melodramatic a cliffhanger as Moffat handed us.

Old May 16 2014, 06:23 PM   #189
sojourner
Vice Admiral

To be honest, this may be one of the few shows where I prefer they get back to "mystery of the week" rather than the 4? 5? part drama we just got subjected to.
Old May 16 2014, 08:28 PM   #190
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I'm so glad that we can (hopefully) finally be rid of Mycroft. I haven't liked his character since he was introduced and I certainly didn't like him with Watson. I think it's mostly because of the actor that plays Mycroft. I don't feel like he's a good fit for the part and he seems to have only one facial expression. Also I felt that chemistry with Liu was really lacking.

So good riddance. I do think it will be interesting to watch Sherlock's downward spiral, if indeed that's where they go with it. In fact either way they go with the story should be pretty interesting. I'm looking forward to next season.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 08:39 PM   #191
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Could his "downward spiral" merely be a ploy to keep Watson from moving out?
Old May 16 2014, 09:28 PM   #192
Christopher
Writer

sojourner wrote: View Post
I don't see how. She doesn't know about the bag of heroin he hid in the book, and she didn't see him retrieve it.

Besides, he's an addict. For an addict, the temptation to relapse is never a ploy. It's an everyday reality, a constant urge that must be resisted continuously. An addict pretending to have a drug relapse would be like someone dangling from a cliff and pretending to lose their grip.

Come to think of it, his desire to work for MI-6 may be an attempt to escape the downward spiral, not succumb to it. After all, what motivates Sherlock Holmes to turn to drugs? Boredom. Lack of challenging puzzles to stimulate his mind. Maybe he recognizes that he's close to a relapse due to the stresses involving Joan and Mycroft, so he's attempting to save himself by giving himself a greater challenge to apply his mind to, a more effective distraction from his cravings.

Old May 16 2014, 09:55 PM   #193
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

To be honest, this may be one of the few shows where I prefer they get back to "mystery of the week" rather than the 4? 5? part drama we just got subjected to.
Unless you're counting Mycroft's earlier appearances, it was three linked episodes -- a single episode, then a two-parter.

Come to think of it, his desire to work for MI-6 may be an attempt to escape the downward spiral, not succumb to it. After all, what motivates Sherlock Holmes to turn to drugs? Boredom. Lack of challenging puzzles to stimulate his mind. Maybe he recognizes that he's close to a relapse due to the stresses involving Joan and Mycroft, so he's attempting to save himself by giving himself a greater challenge to apply his mind to, a more effective distraction from his cravings.
Perhaps. That would certainly be true to the Canonical Holmes who used his 7 percent solution of cocaine because his mind was unstimulated.

My gut feeling is that Holmes has other reasons for working with MI-6, though. Perhaps he didn't believe that Sherrington was working alone. Perhaps he thinks he can still, somehow, "fix this" with Mycroft. Take down MI-6 from the inside, as it were.

allyngibson.net
Old May 16 2014, 10:01 PM   #194
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I don't see how. She doesn't know about the bag of heroin he hid in the book, and she didn't see him retrieve it.
You're making the assumption that retrieving the heroin is the only thing he does.
Old May 16 2014, 10:12 PM   #195
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

You're making the assumption that retrieving the heroin is the only thing he does.
True. For all we know at this point, he could have disposed of it when he recognized that as long as it was there it posed a danger to his sobriety.

allyngibson.net