USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 19 2014, 01:05 AM   #1
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
I was approached by a TV news crew

Last week when I was in New York City, I was approached on the street (I'd just left the Apple Store on 5th Ave) by a TV news crew. They asked me what I did when I wake up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep - I told them, I just walk around, maybe surf the net. I do NOT call people up on the phone, that is a great way to get people to hate you.

Anyhoo, have any of you been interviewed by TV news for any reason? If so, what was it about, and what did you tell them?

(Which network? I think it was FOX 5. I tried watching it that night to see if I was on, but I couldn't find myself. And I remember that the anchorperson seemed to have had enough hair care products to deflect small caliber bullets.)
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2014, 01:09 AM   #2
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: I was approached by a TV news crew

Last year during American Craft Beer Week, the local news station came to my brewery and interviewed me. It was mostly a fluff piece that they aired at the end of the news broadcast, so I didn't say much of importance. However, they took some shots of me doing random things around the brewery, at one point you can hear me grunting really loud as I'm climbing a ladder.
Old September 19 2014, 03:54 AM   #3
Non Sync
Captain

Many, many years ago, I was on the other side of the camera. We did a daily "man on the street" bit. Our news was targeting So. Cal's Inland Empire (San Bernardino/Riverside/Ontario areas). Really weren't getting the best answers. Internally we called it listening post based on Viet Nam war activity of having to go into the jungle to listen if anyone was trying to sneak up on the base.

A couple of times, we'd end up putting ourselves on camera.
Old September 19 2014, 04:26 AM   #4
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Last year I was interviewed the day before the Red Sox won the series. About how I felt about the Red Sox being about to win the series.

(At the time I was right next to Fenway Park, incidentally there for bowling).

I told them that the Red Sox winning the series would be a good thing.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2014, 04:27 AM   #5
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Not interviewed per se, but a couple of near misses. I live right down the road from where the mudslide occurred in Oso, WA this spring. There were news crews all over the place for a long time, including in my church during several prayer services. I gave directions or information a few times and chatted a little. They interviewed several people I knew. I bet I could have been interviewed if I angled for it, but I didn't have anything relevant to say. "Wow, this is just terrible."

Also, in the 1980s I was in Search and Rescue. Just one time, I was on a team that found somebody. When the news guys interviewed us, the team leader did most of the talking. Again, what would I have said? "I heated up some water to warm him up."
Old September 19 2014, 08:28 AM   #6
MacLeod
Admiral

I've managed to avoid TV crews about five times.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2014, 11:14 AM   #7
Green Shirt
Commodore

I was almost on one of those United Way/NFL commercials in 1977.
Old September 19 2014, 03:07 PM   #8
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Anyhoo, have any of you been interviewed by TV news for any reason? If so, what was it about, and what did you tell them?
Yep, a few times.

1 - Flooding in my hometown. This would have been back in the 90s, more than half the town was underwater. The reporters had to come in by boat. The edge of the water was just a few feet (as in, less than five) away from the front door of the place I was working, and the corporate office demanded we report for work anyway. During the same "100 year flood" in a nearby town, the graveyard was so saturated with water, coffins rose to the surface, with bodies everywhere. There was no way to identify most of them, as I recall.

2 - After I moved to Omaha, I lived in a very busy area of town, a few blocks away from the trauma center, on the main street in town. There was a pretty major pile-up outside, and I happened to be looking out the window at the time, and saw everything. They interviewed me about what I saw.

3 - Drunk driver incident, about ... oh, six years ago ... Guy stole a car, drove 90+ down a 30mph street, crashed into one car, backed up, kept going, crashed into another one a 1/2 block later, backed up, went around, crashed into a car dealership, while I was on the phone with 911 reporting the first crash. It was about a mile away from one of the news stations, so they had a reporter on the scene before the cops got there.

4 - I was heading into a theater when the first of the 9/11 exploitation films came out ... United 93, maybe? ... anyway, was seeing something else. A reporter came along to ask people their thoughts of seeing the movie - it was opening that day. Again, I wasn't there to see it, but I said there was no way I would be seeing it. She talked with a couple people, then tracked me down to ask my opinion of the movie. I said it was too soon, they were capitalizing on death, and I had no intentions of seeing it (still haven't). Of the three-minute report, I was on screen for more than half of it.

5 - October 26, 2013. My grandpa Don was murdered on his way to work. KETV came out and asked questions, and with Grandma's permission, talked about their life together. I was only on for a little bit, it was more about the two of them ... they had been married for 64 1/2 years, and were planning their 65th anniversary party, when his life was taken. It was in no way sensationalized, and was a tribute to my grandfather.
Old September 19 2014, 03:37 PM   #9
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Last week when I was in New York City, I was approached on the street (I'd just left the Apple Store on 5th Ave) by a TV news crew. They asked me what I did when I wake up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep - I told them, I just walk around, maybe surf the net. I do NOT call people up on the phone, that is a great way to get people to hate you.

(Which network? I think it was FOX 5. I tried watching it that night to see if I was on, but I couldn't find myself. And I remember that the anchorperson seemed to have had enough hair care products to deflect small caliber bullets.)
About 2 years ago, at UC Santa Cruz when I was still a student, I was interviewed on-campus by a newsman fro KRON 4, IIRC (it was a news anchor hauling his own camera due to budget). I forget the specifics, but it was due to a threat happening off-campus and he wanted me to relate my reaction.

(I recall saying the threat was something to give one pause, but not as big as it sounded. Everyone was pretty much going about their business as usual).
Old September 19 2014, 03:56 PM   #10
inflatabledalek
Captain

Many years ago when coming out of Hamleys in London a friend and I were approached by an American news crew to be asked about how we felt about a US company buying this ancient British institution (or might have been possibly going to buy, I can't recall now).

We knew nothing about this, and really didn't know anything about Hamleys or it's history, but we bluffed through the conversation in order to get on telly. But as it was American telly we'll never know if it was used or not.

More sadly, when a primary school teacher of mine was murdered back in the February before last I was interviewed by Midlands Today (though I don't think the clip was used as I didn't really play ball with the "How does this make you feel?" stock questions, "Quite bad. Obviously") but did appear in the footage of the memorial service.
Old September 19 2014, 05:09 PM   #11
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

My wife and I were interviewed on opening day of Citi-Field, probably because of having our less then year old son with us. He was dressed in his Mets finest.

Our son Ian was recently interviewed by local television news channel when we attended World Elephant Day at the Rosamond Gifford Zoo. He is a huge Elephant fan, he has many dozen stuffed elephants and pictures and posters in his room. He was a bit rambling but got across his love of Elephants.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2014, 05:26 PM   #12
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Shortly after 9/11 I was assaulted by a news crew at the train station as I was coming in to work. I don't know why she picked me, nor why her and the cameraman didn't away when I said 'no' but I ended up answering a few questions about how I wasn't afraid to ride public transportation in light of the 9/11 tragedy.
I think they ended up showing about 10 seconds of it on the news that night.
Old September 19 2014, 05:47 PM   #13
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

I'm a semi-pro improv comedian and work at various conventions, so on average I'm on the TV news about once a year. Most recently:

http://youtu.be/5UiNWF-U28c

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2014, 06:31 PM   #14
Aragorn
Admiral

Some internet journalist was waiting at the movie theater to interview people who were going to see The Dark Knight Rises to get a response to the Denver shooting. But he wasn't much of a reporter as he basically led me and put quotes in my mouth.
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2014, 07:06 PM   #15
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Never a news crew but I was stopped once to do a "Channel XX is great. Say the tagline" type spot.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote