Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 14 2014, 08:52 PM   #1
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Pink Floyd - The Endless River

Has anyone else heard this yet?

I think the sounds are pleasant enough to listen to, but the album just doesn't have any kind of "soul" to it. It's all just a collection of sounds, to my ears.

And, the Floyd has plagiarized itself heavily. I could hear essentially every album they've ever made in one form or another on this one.
Old November 15 2014, 01:43 AM   #2
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: Pink Floyd - The Endless River

Obvious concept of concept album is obvious.

It's really amazing that, amidst the social media cacophony of "Gilmore is not Floyd!" and "It's not Floyd without Waters!" #putdownthefuckinghammeralready and Gilmour and Mason specifically stating exactly what this album is supposed to be, so many have missed the point entirely.

If that wasn't enough, they were pretty heavy-handed with the naming scheme. (The music is) "Louder than Words" is about as obvious as it anything can be obvious. Aside from being a direct barb at Waters, it does pretty much sum up the whole concept nice and tidily.

"On Noodle Street" is simply a bit of self-deprecation on Gilmour's part and his way of owning up to the primary criticism of the so-called Gilmour-Floyd Era.

And the short "Unsung" is clearly meant to be a posthumous heralding as it leads right into "Anisina" which plays direct counterpoint against Wright's masterwork "The Violence Sequence," which ultimately became the climax of the band's most coveted work.

And how does one plagiarize oneself? Every artist in existence, regardless of medium, has a finite pool of ideas he or she draws upon. Hell, look at some of the most famous/prolific film composers of the last 50 years; most of them have reused whole melodic passages more than once. But you'd never call it plagiarism. More importantly, sounding a bit like one did in the past is a fry cry from recycling old material note for note.

But once again: the musical core of Pink Floyd sounding like the musical core of Pink Floyd was the whole fucking point!

And saying you "could hear essentially every album they've ever made" is a bit ridiculous. Tonally, it mostly sounds like TDB, which is understandable since, you know, it's the other half of TDB. And there is a clear difference between what Gilmour recorded back then and what he added now--since his guitar (wood), pickups, and amps are all different. "Surfacing" is obviously a new one since it sounds like it came strait off On an Island.

There are only two songs that sound like old songs. Both cases were intentional.

"It's What We Do" (All three of us.) is another name gone obvious. It's the song that sounds most like an old song, the band's capstone: a nine part opus that spans 25+ minutes and consists of three short verses. For which, the other guy gets all the credit and he basically just wrote the three short verses.

The other one is "Allons-Y" which is a double (triple) entendre of a name. (Let it marinade for awhile.) It's Gilmour reminding everyone that he was there too, by reclaiming his signature guitar riff from Kilminster and his fucking hair flip.

The song is broken up by "Autumn '68" that is a reminder that, despite Wright's untimely and unnecessary departure during the Waters era, there were a few short months were Wright was the de facto front man. The haunting pipe organ (recorded droning that time) breaks down the wall--sort of speak--as if Wright is calling out from the afterlife not to so easily be dismissed. It's haunting and the pinnacle of the album.

The Endless River is really the three securing the respect they've long been due. They are saying that Pink Floyd was not just Waters--quite the contrary. In fact, had it not been for them (Gilmour, Wright) "Wish You Where Here" would just be a forgotten overly sentimental poem buried in Waters's closet behind the suitcase of the left. The album is a reminder that, as a listening experience, Pink Floyd has all ways been first and foremost about the music, and, as the core creators and contributors to the band's sonic identity, they deserve way more respect than they're given.
Old November 15 2014, 03:19 AM   #3
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

I regret reading even one single letter of your post, CorporalClegg. Wow. Settle down.
Old November 15 2014, 05:24 AM   #4
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
Has anyone else heard this yet?

I think the sounds are pleasant enough to listen to, but the album just doesn't have any kind of "soul" to it. It's all just a collection of sounds, to my ears.

And, the Floyd has plagiarized itself heavily. I could hear essentially every album they've ever made in one form or another on this one.
Some of the pre-Animals albums were "sounds" rather than music, so not a huge departure there.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2014, 09:27 AM   #5
Borgminister

So Elton and Pink Floyd, 2 of my favorites of yore, are OLD.
Borgminister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2014, 01:19 PM   #6
BeatleJWOL
Captain

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

uh guys all music is a "collection of sounds"; they just happen to be tuned to particular pitches and produced by particular instruments.

anyway carry on
BeatleJWOL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2014, 08:27 PM   #7
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I'm impatiently waiting for my copy to arrive. Hopefully it'll be here on Monday.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2014, 05:43 PM   #8
Locutus of Bored
Easy Raptor

I regret reading even one single letter of your post, CorporalClegg. Wow. Settle down.
You should try reading his post out loud while watching The Wizard of Oz. It's freakin' trippy, man.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2014, 06:02 PM   #9
Let the Good Times Roll!!

They did a review on NPR, and from what I could gather it's mostly soundscapes that were meant to transition songs on The Division Bell.

What I heard sounded fine, I guess. I don't think I'll buy it though.

I'm sort of a Roger Waters guy anyway...
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2014, 08:55 PM   #10
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
You should try reading his post out loud while watching The Wizard of Oz. It's freakin' trippy, man.
Now THAT was funny.
Old November 17 2014, 09:52 PM   #11
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I'm on my third listen this evening so I think it's safe to say I love the album.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2014, 04:23 AM   #12
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

I listened to it twice. I don't dislike it. I don't love it. But I do like it. But, there's nothing memorable on there for me.
Old November 18 2014, 07:56 AM   #13
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

It's some great elevator music!
Old November 18 2014, 08:13 AM   #14
Borgminister

The older I get, the hipper elevator music becomes!
Borgminister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2014, 09:53 AM   #15
Relayer1
Commodore

Borgminister wrote: View Post
The older I get, the hipper elevator music becomes!
Er, no.

1001001 wrote: View Post
I'm sort of a Roger Waters guy anyway...
Yes.

No bile, no Floyd...