New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 4 2013, 12:15 AM   #1
gastrof
Rear Admiral

How was Liz Sladen's death handled on Sarah Jane Adventures?

I know only what I've heard, that series 4 ended with the 'Goodbye' episode, with Sarah turning out to be seriously ill, but that there were three more stories for series 5, which Liz apparently was in.

How did they handle Sarah's being ill, and did the final episode have any "resolution" aspects to it, or was everything just left hanging?

Have some pity on a Whovian in the States who hasn't had any real access to The Sarah Jane Adventures since SyFy stopped showing them when it apparently cut ties with the BBC.
Old January 4 2013, 12:24 AM   #2
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Re: How was Liz Sladen's death handled on Sarah Jane Adventures?

Sarah's illness in "Goodbye, Sarah Jane Smith" was purely a plot device for that two-parter, and the three stories filmed for series five were ordinary ones, done on the assumption that Sladen would be continuing as normal and filming three more later. The last broadcast of the three completed stories, "The Man Who Never Was," has a closing montage that's valedictory in tone, but it's not something that was planned as a final episode ever, and there's no implication that Sarah Jane is going anywhere.
Old January 4 2013, 12:36 AM   #3
gastrof
Rear Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Sarah's illness in "Goodbye, Sarah Jane Smith" was purely a plot device for that two-parter, and the three stories filmed for series five were ordinary ones, done on the assumption that Sladen would be continuing as normal and filming three more later. The last broadcast of the three completed stories, "The Man Who Never Was," has a closing montage that's valedictory in tone, but it's not something that was planned as a final episode ever, and there's no implication that Sarah Jane is going anywhere.
How did they work out the "plot device" illness in the 'Goodbye' episode?

Plus, I understand another Sarah-type woman was introduced. Was she a bad guy in disguise, or another "crusader" like Sarah?
Old January 4 2013, 12:45 AM   #4
ToddKent
Captain

View ToddKent's Twitter Profile

Anyone know when we get the last season DVDs in the U.S.?
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 12:46 AM   #5
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Plus, I understand another Sarah-type woman was introduced. Was she a bad guy in disguise, or another "crusader" like Sarah?
She was a bad guy in disguise. In fact, she was an alien who fed on the souls of others, and the source of Sarah's illness. When she was defeated, Sarah recovered.
Anyone know when we get the last season DVDs in the U.S.?
It came out in June. Amazon link.
Old January 4 2013, 12:58 AM   #6
ToddKent
Captain

View ToddKent's Twitter Profile

Had no idea. For some reason Netflix doesn't have them.
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 01:00 AM   #7
Christopher
Writer

Any resemblance between "Goodbye, Sarah Jane Smith" and Sladen's real illness was purely coincidental. At the time they wrote and filmed that story, they had no idea that her health was going to take a rapid turn for the worse. She had been through cancer treatment before, but it was in remission at the time. So "Goodbye" was not in any way written to address her real-life illness. As mentioned, they went on to film another half-season after the "Goodbye" storyline -- and it was in the break following that half-season that her cancer returned with a vengeance.

So they simply didn't have time to deal with her illness and death, since it happened so fast. They just cancelled production on the second half of Series 5. As far as the Doctor Who universe is concerned, Sarah Jane and her friends are still alive and active and saving the Earth from Bannerman Road. We just don't get to see it anymore.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 01:34 AM   #8
gastrof
Rear Admiral

What was the "closing montage that's valedictory in tone" like? What exactly did they do?

(Oh- Brendan and Chris... THANK YOU for your quick replies!)
Old January 4 2013, 01:38 AM   #9
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

You can see it on YouTube here. It's a bunch of short clips from various SJA episodes and Sarah Jane's appearances on new Who, with a voiceover by Sarah Jane drawn from used and unused takes of the ending speech of "The Lost Boy" from series one: "I've seen amazing things out there in space, but strange things can happen wherever you are. I have learned that life on Earth can be an adventure too. In all the universe, I never expected to find a family." Then there's a last shot of the Earth and a title card reading "And the story goes on... forever."
Old January 4 2013, 02:37 AM   #10
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Old January 4 2013, 02:45 AM   #11
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

There's a very touching Tribute to Lis Sladen, that was on YouTube shortly after it aired in Britain. I downloaded from YouTube and burned it to DVD, so, I didn't save the bookmark, so, don't know if it's still up, but, I believe it perfectly legitimate being up, so there should be no problem.

I think it was called "Goodbye My Sarah Jane" or Simply "My Sarah Jane"

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 03:03 AM   #12
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Was any mention made of what the three unfilmed stories were to be? I assumed at least one would have something to do with Sky, to keep her arc going...

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 04:44 AM   #13
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

They were written up in a special edition of Doctor Who Magazine, which I have laying around here but haven't read. One was about Sky ("The Battle of Bannerman Road"), one would have seen Mr. Smith become human, and one is being repurposed as an episode of Wizards vs Aliens ("The Thirteenth Floor").
Old January 4 2013, 05:38 AM   #14
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Heres the tribute that Sindatur mentioned.

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 05:24 PM   #15
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I wonder whether, as with the Brigadier, will they refer in DW to the character having passed, given that the actor did. Or, given that Liz was so much younger than Nicholas, will they allow her character to live a long life, just not one which the viewer happens to see any more?