Stewart Narrated NASA Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

Star Trek 3 Filming To Begin
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

IDW Publishing Trek Comics For April 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jan 20

Star Trek-Planet of the Apes #2
By: T'Bonz on Jan 20

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 5 2015, 06:36 PM   #1
Christopher
Writer

MYTHBUSTERS 2015 Season Thread

Mythbusters is back this Saturday with its new season, pared down to just Adam and Jamie as the sole hosts, and reportedly with a back-to-basics approach. However, the first few episodes have been announced, and it looks like themed "specials" are the trend this year.

This Saturday's episode is a Simpsons special, testing whether a cherry bomb in the toilet could create a geyser-like effect and whether a person's body could block a wrecking ball from destroying a house. I gather they created a replica of the Simpsons' house and an accurately proportioned Homer surrogate for the test.

The next episode after that is "The Busters of the Lost Myths," which is an Indiana Jones-themed episode, a clip from which has already been seen (at the end of this interview). Following that are an A-Team episode, a video games episode, and a Transformers episode, of all things. So every announced episode this season is a mass-media tie-in, which seems to be a narrowing of the show's focus. It's probably a response to the success of their Star Wars special, but I hope this isn't the only thing they do from now on.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2015, 06:38 PM   #2
Forbin
Admiral

Re: MYTHBUSTERS 2015 Season Thread

That sounds... awful. :/
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2015, 07:35 PM   #3
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

What the hell could they do with Transformers? Aren't giant alien sentient robots that transform into vehicles automatically a busted myth?

-Admiral James Greer
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2015, 07:59 PM   #4
Christopher
Writer

They've done a lot of episodes based on fantasy franchises, just choosing to focus on a specific aspect. For instance, the Star Wars special investigated whether Luke and Leia's chasm swing would work, whether an armored vehicle could be crushed between a pair of logs, and whether being inside a tauntaun could keep Luke from freezing -- all of which were confirmed or proven plausible, as it happens. So I assume the same is true of the upcoming episodes. The Transformers episode description on Wikipedia says they'll be testing whether a car can turn into a motorcycle. That's not about alien robots, just about the sheer geometry and mechanics of the supposed transformation.

Old January 5 2015, 11:13 PM   #5
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

Honestly, if the Transformer episode deals with Jamie and Adam building a machine that transforms from car to bipedal robot, then I am okay with that.

Tie-in episodes don't bother me so long as it's interesting in form and presentation and isn't too self serving for the network, like when they did the storm-chasers episode; or too pandering to promoting something. The Breaking Bad and Green Hornet episodes were weak, but all of the listed episodes sound like they could be interesting and it's doing it to older properties as opposed to current ones.
Old January 5 2015, 11:55 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer

Yeah... I pray they don't do any more tie-ins to other Discovery shows.

Old January 6 2015, 12:18 AM   #7
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

Some parts of the Deadliest Catch episode was interesting but I think it could have been done without the tie-in and guest cast.
Old January 6 2015, 10:31 AM   #8
intrinsical
Commodore

Personally, I can't wait for the A-Team episode. Adam Savage has said they won't be mythbusting The A-Team. Instead, its going to be like the Alcatraz episode where Jamie and Adam are going to be locked in a garage filled with power tools and a pile of junk. And like a typical A-Team episode, their goal is to try to bust out armed with custom built weapons.
Old January 6 2015, 02:29 PM   #9
Takeru
Fleet Captain

I'm not really interested, the last few years I liked the build team much more, with them gone I'm out.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2015, 09:30 PM   #10
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Has anyone seen the new opening credits yet? I just watched it, and while I like the visuals, the revamped theme song is even worse than the last one they did. I wish they would just stick with the original theme.
Old January 7 2015, 02:34 AM   #11
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Honestly, if the Transformer episode deals with Jamie and Adam building a machine that transforms from car to bipedal robot, then I am okay with that.

It's all about ingenuity and how they approach it. I've already seen some people do it on Discovery Canada's Daily Planet show, including a really cool one just a few days ago. Some genius had built a working transformable vehicle that looked pretty good to boot. Been trying to find that clip online but no luck so far.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2015, 11:00 PM   #12
Christopher
Writer

Promising news: Discovery has a new executive who's distancing himself from the fraudulent, sensationalist sorts of programs that have been on the network recently and saying he plans to get rid of them.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/08/di...aconda-sharks/

He's mainly talking about the fictitious Megalodon shark special and some recent controversial thing about a guy being eaten (or not) by an anaconda, but hopefully this also means an end to stuff like that Moonshiners thing that the Mythbusters did a crossover with, and that Amish Mafia thing -- blatantly fictional shows passing themselves off as documentaries. It's not as emphatic a statement as I'd prefer, with some hedging (like how if shows in that vein were already commissioned, they'd go ahead and air them), but hopefully we'll get a shift away from that sensationalist crap and back toward the kind of science and nature shows that Discovery is supposed to feature.

The new guy also says he plans to broaden the network's appeal to families and not just men, which could also be good. I feel like Mythbusters was sometimes under too much pressure to be like all those testosterone-laden motorcycle-building and blowing-stuff-up shows on Discovery. I mean, I like the focus on building and invention in the show, but I like it for the science content and the creative problem-solving, which isn't so much a feature of the other such shows I've glimpsed on the network in recent years.

And hopefully this bodes well for Tory, Grant, and Kari getting a show that's science-oriented and non-sensationalistic.

Old January 10 2015, 02:37 AM   #13
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

Yeah, I mean a second Mythbusters show with the Jr. Mythbusters wouldn't be bad to have. Then we could potentially have two hours of these kinds of experiments and tests rather than trying to compress two experiments into one single hour.
Old January 10 2015, 02:56 AM   #14
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

For Canadians, Discovery Canada has caught up with the 21st Century and no big wait for the new season. According to my PVR new eps start on Monday Jan 19th.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2015, 07:10 AM   #15
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

That's good news, Christopher. Thanks for that. Good stuff to look forward to, I hope!
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote