RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,918
Posts: 5,389,120
Members: 24,717
Currently online: 613
Newest member: fanshere

TrekToday headlines

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 11 2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Kirkman1987
Commodore
 
Kirkman1987's Avatar
 
Location: Missouri
At the end of Apocalypse Now...

Where do you think Willard went? I doubt he was interested in returning to the Army or to the US. Did he just seclude himself in the jungle like Kurtz? What about Lance?

Also, Was the Kurtz compound victim to an airstrike after Willard left? It seems to be left a bit open for interpretation at the end, although I would wager that it survived.

These two questions have stayed with me since watching the film again a fews nights ago (The full disclosure blu ray is excellent btw). I'm interested in what you guys think.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 12:49 AM   #2
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: At the end of Apocalypse Now...

I hate to be a spoilsport and attempt to douse a discussion, but I think this is a case of the uncertainty being more interesting than any possible answer, much like where Rick and Renault head off to at the end of Casablanca.

To answer your question, though... he goes home to his small town in a rural state. Repairs tractors. Is a bit of a loner.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 01:37 AM   #3
J.T.B.
Commodore
 
J.T.B.'s Avatar
 
Re: At the end of Apocalypse Now...

^ Yeah, I think ambiguity was the intent. The version of the movie I "grew up with" ended with the Kurtz compound destroyed in many slow-motion explosions. I always assumed that was Willard's airstrike, but apparently that was not Coppola's intention; he meant it as something more abstract and cut that ending from further releases.

I think Lance had lost his mind, I don't think he had much of a future.

For Willard, I think his faith in everything had been shattered; whether he stayed in the army, went home or whatever, he had a long way to go to feel like he "fit" in the world. I think the ambiguous ending for him is good in that way.

FWIW, Marlow went home and spared Kurtz's fiancee the gory details, but he also gave a reporter the full story.

Justin

Last edited by J.T.B.; January 12 2013 at 03:28 AM.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 06:50 AM   #4
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral
 
Rush Limborg's Avatar
 
Location: The EIB Network
Re: At the end of Apocalypse Now...

I've often speculated that the first few minutes of the film--up to and including the "Saigon...." sequence--is actually set after the main events of the film. I thought this after noticing the stone head in the sequence of images set to Jim Morrison. It's the same head we see in the very last scene...as Willard and Lance sail away.

Anyway--in the opening sequence, Willard is completely drained, disenchanted, and very cynical. The events in the movie show him groing increasingly...drained, disenchanted, and cynical.

And if you listen carefully to Willard's narration--during the opening sequence, it's in the present tense. For the rest of the film, it's in past tense.

The "thinking back" begins, in my interperetation, with Willard doing the mok'bara (as it were) in his room (culminating in his injuring his hand--which the two soldiers take note of when they go to him, to take him to his briefing). Everything before that is set after the film's storyline.

Just my $0.02.
__________________
"I have been wounded but not yet slain. I shall lie here and bleed awhile. Then I shall rise and fight again."

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 07:19 AM   #5
barnaclelapse
Commodore
 
barnaclelapse's Avatar
 
Location: Waverly, VA.
Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse
Re: At the end of Apocalypse Now...

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
I've often speculated that the first few minutes of the film--up to and including the "Saigon...." sequence--is actually set after the main events of the film. I thought this after noticing the stone head in the sequence of images set to Jim Morrison. It's the same head we see in the very last scene...as Willard and Lance sail away.

Anyway--in the opening sequence, Willard is completely drained, disenchanted, and very cynical. The events in the movie show him groing increasingly...drained, disenchanted, and cynical.

And if you listen carefully to Willard's narration--during the opening sequence, it's in the present tense. For the rest of the film, it's in past tense.

The "thinking back" begins, in my interperetation, with Willard doing the mok'bara (as it were) in his room (culminating in his injuring his hand--which the two soldiers take note of when they go to him, to take him to his briefing). Everything before that is set after the film's storyline.

Just my $0.02.
Oh, snap.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 11:05 PM   #6
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: At the end of Apocalypse Now...

Gaith wrote: View Post
I hate to be a spoilsport and attempt to douse a discussion, but I think this is a case of the uncertainty being more interesting than any possible answer, much like where Rick and Renault head off to at the end of Casablanca.
They go for a drink with the dwarfs who got the plane ready.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2013, 04:47 AM   #7
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral
 
Rush Limborg's Avatar
 
Location: The EIB Network
Re: At the end of Apocalypse Now...

barnaclelapse wrote: View Post
Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
I've often speculated that the first few minutes of the film--up to and including the "Saigon...." sequence--is actually set after the main events of the film. I thought this after noticing the stone head in the sequence of images set to Jim Morrison. It's the same head we see in the very last scene...as Willard and Lance sail away.

Anyway--in the opening sequence, Willard is completely drained, disenchanted, and very cynical. The events in the movie show him groing increasingly...drained, disenchanted, and cynical.

And if you listen carefully to Willard's narration--during the opening sequence, it's in the present tense. For the rest of the film, it's in past tense.

The "thinking back" begins, in my interperetation, with Willard doing the mok'bara (as it were) in his room (culminating in his injuring his hand--which the two soldiers take note of when they go to him, to take him to his briefing). Everything before that is set after the film's storyline.

Just my $0.02.
Oh, snap.
Um...?
__________________
"I have been wounded but not yet slain. I shall lie here and bleed awhile. Then I shall rise and fight again."

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.