Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 10 2013, 08:46 PM   #1
TroiFan4ever
Lieutenant Commander

I think Data just doesn't LIKE to use contractions.

I think Data can actually use contractions. He just doesn't want to. He even does occasionally.

I remember one of his very first lines in "Encounter at Farpoint" had a contraction.

In "Genesis" if you listen close enough, Data said "She's no longer human." (When he and Picard discover the Amphibian Troi).

I even remember in "Datalore" when Tasha and the others check on him after he and Wes managed to get Lore out of the cargobay, he CLEARLY said "I'm fine."

I remember I kept watching that again, trying to listen for "I am fine" but he definately said "I'm".

So, what's with Data and not using contractions when even Lore in "Datalore" used contractions.
Old January 10 2013, 09:00 PM   #2
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: I think Data just doesn't LIKE to use contractions.

He's been busted on this in a number of other episodes as well, I'm sure someone else can provide a full list if there's really a need.

It was just a plot device for that single episode they didn't really think through coupled with the human imperfection of both the actor using one by reflex and not thinking about it and the director and staff hearing one and by reflex not thinking anything of it.

It would've been funny if they pulled something like in Armageddon Game. Where Keiko sees a video of O'Brien's death and realizes it must be faked because he never drinks coffee in the afternoon. Well of course it was faked, but O'brien revealed at the end he did drink coffee in the afternoon and he was saved over a false assumption.
Old January 10 2013, 09:52 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

"Datalore" isn't really the source of the problem. "Datalore" simply said that Data speaks more formally than Lore, that informal speech such as contractions doesn't come as easily to him. It was the later episodes "The Offspring" and "Future Imperfect" that implied he wasn't capable of it at all.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 09:56 PM   #4
Seven of Five
Commodore

If it was intended for Data not to use contractions, then I can just pretend that he never said any, and just smile when I notice that he's a stinking liar and does.
Old January 10 2013, 10:19 PM   #5
Draculasaurus
Lieutenant Commander

What kind of half-assed robot can't use contractions anyway?
They're in the dictionary, they're real words.
He either doesn't like to use them, or likes to lie about not being able to.
Draculasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 11:44 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer

Draculasaurus wrote: View Post
Actually some real people with autistic-spectrum conditions like Asperger's Syndrome prefer to use formal language. For instance:

http://www.iloveaba.com/2012/09/aspe...er-autism.html
Aspie kids talk like very short adults- Due to a very concrete understanding of language and advanced verbal skills, Aspie kids select and use their words carefully. Their vocal affect may sound stilted, or as if they are reading a speech off of note cards. They avoid lazy communicating, such as using slang or contractions. Instead of saying “I’m gonna’ go to karate after school, yay!” they would say something like “When school is finished I have a karate class. I like karate very much, and I am excellent at it. There are 7 kids in my karate class. There is David, and there is Robert, and…..” Aspie kids also usually don’t know how to end sentences or switch topics, and will often keep talking about a particular topic even though the listener is showing absolutely no signs of listening.
Essentially Data's behavior in a lot of respects is very much like that of a person with Asperger's or high-function autism.

Old January 10 2013, 11:59 PM   #7
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I can see how using contractions could allude a robot, it can allude many humans since there are situations where a contraction doesn't work as well as its counterpart. But the impression I got was just that Data simply "didn't" use contractions rather than "couldn't." But the show took it pretty far in that latter direction at times suggesting Data was simply incapable by way of programming to use contractions, which could have just been another "flaw" Soong built into into the "Data Generation" of Soong-type androids to make them "less human" in order for them to not as easily scare the colonists.
Old January 11 2013, 01:26 AM   #8
Christopher
Writer

^As I said, you can find real analogies in the autistic spectrum. Data was built without emotions, and that's more complicated than simply not knowing how to laugh or cry. Emotion connects with other aspects of social interaction, abstract thinking, and so forth. Data sans emotion chip basically could be likened to a high-function autistic, someone who thinks in a more logical, literal, patterned way than most people and isn't as adept at abstractions or fuzzy thinking like slang, elided or contracted words, metaphors and figures of speech, or an emphasis on how things feel over what they mean. It all ties together, really.

Indeed, in recent years we've come to understand that the whole stereotype of the coolly rational intellectual, as embodied by characters like Data, Spock, Sherlock Holmes, the Professor from Gilligan's Island, etc., may actually be based on the behavior of people on the high-function end of the autistic spectrum (or who have what used to be called Asperger's Syndrome until last year). It's closely related to the stereotype of the robot or computer that doesn't understand human emotion, idioms, etc., and Data was an example of that stereotype (the character was basically a reworking of the title character from Roddenberry's failed pilot The Questor Tapes). So it's not really that surprising that the parallels exist.

Old January 11 2013, 01:28 AM   #9
sonak
Vice Admiral

it's a rather silly point. Even if it were a programming glitch or bug, wouldn't it be a relatively easy one for him or Geordi to fix?
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 02:13 AM   #10
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Geordi: Data, I'm going to adjust your fershlugginer chip so you can use contractions.
Data: Let's don't and say you did.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 02:39 AM   #11
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I think the writers they had around in the first season of TNG just really sucked.

In fact, pretty much every first season episode I actually liked has the Maurice Hurley writing credit.

I could write an NLP program that can use contractions. Heck, I could practically do it in one line of code. str.replace(/can not/g, 'can\'t).replace(/will not/g, 'won\'t').etc. Data can interpret the exact meaning of complex grammar. I think Soong could manage that one line of code.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 02:53 AM   #12
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

TroiFan4ever wrote: View Post
So, what's with Data and not using contractions when even Lore in "Datalore" used contractions.
From the episode The Offspring...

DATA wrote: View Post
There do seem to be variations on the quantum level. Lal can use contractions... I cannot..
And then this...

LAL
I've been programmed with a
listing of fourteen hundred and
twelve known beverages as well
as recipes for...

Data and Guinan react...

GUINAN
What'd did you just say...

LAL
I've been programmed with...

GUINAN
"I've"... ?

DATA
Lal, you used a verbal
contraction.

GUINAN
You said I've instead of I have.

DATA
It is a skill my program has never
mastered.

LAL
Then I will desist.

DATA
No. You have exceeded my
abilities. I do not object. I
just do not understand why it has
happened.

So...he can't.
Old January 11 2013, 03:33 AM   #13
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Well, he cannot.
Old January 11 2013, 04:30 AM   #14
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Maybe he's a big fan of Damon Runyon.

Aspie kids talk like very short adults- Due to a very concrete understanding of language and advanced verbal skills, Aspie kids select and use their words carefully. Their vocal affect may sound stilted, or as if they are reading a speech off of note cards. They avoid lazy communicating, such as using slang or contractions. Instead of saying “I’m gonna’ go to karate after school, yay!” they would say something like “When school is finished I have a karate class. I like karate very much, and I am excellent at it. There are 7 kids in my karate class. There is David, and there is Robert, and…..” Aspie kids also usually don’t know how to end sentences or switch topics, and will often keep talking about a particular topic even though the listener is showing absolutely no signs of listening.
Going by that description, I could have been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome when I was a kid -- if the diagnosis had existed then!
Old January 11 2013, 04:58 AM   #15
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

It was interesting how in the anniversary cast sit-down extra on the DVD Spiner mentioned how Data was seen as a "poster child" for people with Aspergers. I'd honestly never drawn that connection before, but now I think I can sort of see it.